Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JJ Kavanagh - Airport Express Coaches

• 24-01-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

This is the Hell-on-Earth, do or die...ultimate Last Chance....transport option!!!

Used them once...NEVER AGAIN!!! EVER!!

The driver was the RUDEST person I have ever met. He looked, acted and smelled awful. He kept nose-hacking, then spitting...ugly large green, infected globules of snot and plhegm, everywhere, on the Bus!!
    His one-handed driving was erratic, dangerous and appalling, as he spoke/shouted loudly... in Russian...into his Mobile...non-stop...for the entire two hour, long, bleak, cold, miserable journey to Castledermot, from Busarus!!! Which should have taken...65mins...Maximum!!!!

It cost...between...E16 - E120...for this Hell-ish, uncomfortable, scabby, disease-laden bus journey!!!

Why...does...Bus Eireann...NOT...provide much-needed economy Bus Transport to places like Carlow, Baltinglass, Rathvilly, Castledermot...c'mon....the need IS there??

DO NOT USE JJ KAVANAGH TRANSPORT.

j

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Crikey Sing_dumb you must have met a resident of an Irish Craft Village (If Kevin Myers is to be believed).

I understand that Bus Eireann did in fact recently run a few ideas past a gobsmacked Dept of Transport which entailed a fairly hefty improvement to services on the Carlow road :D.......however....the company`s desires were frustrated by the Dept subseqently revealing its inability to ratify the improved services as "another operator" had objected.....It`s quite obvious that any Bus Eireann improvements would impact negatively on the current incumbent.....You could try forwarding your post to the Secretary General of the Department of Transport with a cc to the Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory.... :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sing_dumb wrote: »
    It cost...between...E16 - E120
    Thats quite a range, even with the rest of your statements taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

he must mean 16 to 20 euro ?
    well sing_dumb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

green123 wrote: »
    he must mean 16 to 20 euro ?
    well sing_dumb ?

My aunt recently had an experience with Bus Eireann which was as bad if not worse.

The driver was ridiculously ignorant.

He spoke on his mobile (no hands free) for most of the hour and a half long trip.

The bus was freezing cold, when asked to put the heating on he replied,
    "We only put the heat on in the Summer time".
    It got so cold that one poor old man got off and told the driver he would wait for the next bus, because he was so cold.

He also wasted 5-10 mins waiting at certain stops, despite the fact that he'd arrived at each of the said spots about a half hour late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I've had a few experiences with some Bus Eireann drivers. Some of them are right pricks. Most of the time it is related to fare - I hand him a 20 or something and get back "Have you nothing smaller"....well no if I had something smaller I'd give it to you. Usually this is accompanied with a "Ah jasus" aswell.

I never use Bus Eireann anymore - Aircoach and Matthews Express all the way. I've never had a problem with any of these guys.

• Advertisement

"Dùirt Bhean liom,go duirt bhean lei"......And so on and so forth etc etc....:o

Anybody who feels aggrived at their "treatment" on ANY licenced bus/cosch service should have a ticket which will reference to the driver who issued it.
    Then it`s down to using the phone or writing a letter to Customer Services/The Boss outlining the Facts.......plain simple and unembellished.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The driver was the RUDEST person I have ever met. He looked, acted and smelled awful. He kept nose-hacking, then spitting...ugly large green, infected globules of snot and plhegm, everywhere, on the Bus!!
    His one-handed driving was erratic, dangerous and appalling, as he spoke/shouted loudly... in Russian...into his Mobile...non-stop...for the entire two hour, long, bleak, cold, miserable journey to Castledermot, from Busarus!!!

How do you know it was Russian? Or can you tell the difference between Russian and Lithuanian or Estonian?

JJ Kavanagh have never pulled a wildcat strike unlike Bus Eireann who left thousands stranded in Limerick about 4 years ago.
    JJ Kavanagh does lots of trips on Sunday nights for college students and are making good money doing it. I don't see Bus Eireann doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I have travelled with both JJ Kavanagh and Bus Eireann up and down from Carlow to Dublin for years and never had any problems like this. Why dont you complain to the operator of JJ Kavanagh and Bus Eireann? Like who the hell says we only put the heating on in the summer?? :eek: The way i see it is your paying for a service and you should expect it to be decent if not complain! There is no point in complaining here as there will defo be nothing done about it.

+1 with Fitztshea,if the OP doesn`t go to the Organ Grinder with their complaint then the Monkey will continue to perform ;)

It`s good to see the College Student market being recognised by JJ`s and they managing to turn a penny on it too,however one of the reasons Bus Eireann are`nt more involved is the inability to secure a Licence for such dedicated services as the DEpt will say the Market is already catered for by the Kavanagh operation....heads u win......heads u lose.. :eek:

There is one Student area in Dublin where JJ or indeed any other operator would be most welcome to enter into and that`s servicing the Wednesday Night N11 corridor between UCD Belfield and An Làr (Cheap Student Rate Drink in the clubs)
    .......:p
    although the only problem would be finding vehicles capable of resisting the acidic content of urine or the corrosive abilities of spilt lager....;)
    One things for certain the numbers and demeanour of the youthful clientele cannot be successfully or safely catered for by the "ordinary" Bus services.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Ah yes just like the tourists getting into Ireland at Shannon for the first time and being greeted by a merry Bus Eireann driver screaming "WILL YE STOP WITH THE BIG NOTES THIS ISNT A BANK".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

sing_dumb - Did you ring JJ Kavanaghs and voice your concerns?

I have always choosen to travel with Kavanaghs over Bus Eireann,due to their buses being cleaner and the whole experience being nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Hey sing_dumb,

like the guys say just drop them a line or pick up the phone. I'm sure they would actually appreciate the call as they are v good businessmen and didn't get to the position they are in by having bad customer service.

You find details of all their offices on their website below (copied for your convience) and if you call the Head Office there's a good chance you'll be talking to one of the owners.

http://www.jjkavanagh.ie/contact.asp

Contact Details

Head Office - Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny
    Tel: +353 56 8831106
    Fax: +353 56 8831172
    Email: info@jjkavanagh.ie
    Web: www.jjkavanagh.ie

I'm not in any way involved with them, other than they got me to and from college for a few years and couldn't complain about their service levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

This is the Hell-on-Earth, do or die...ultimate Last Chance....transport option!!!

Used them once...NEVER AGAIN!!! EVER!!

His one-handed driving was erratic, dangerous and appalling, as he spoke/shouted loudly... in Russian...into his Mobile...non-stop...for the entire two hour, long, bleak, cold, miserable journey to Castledermot, from Busarus!!! Which should have taken...65mins...Maximum!!!!

It cost...between...E16 - E120...for this Hell-ish, uncomfortable, scabby, disease-laden bus journey!!!

Why...does...Bus Eireann...NOT...provide much-needed economy Bus Transport to places like Carlow, Baltinglass, Rathvilly, Castledermot...c'mon....the need IS there??

DO NOT USE JJ KAVANAGH TRANSPORT.

j

Firstly I just want to make the point,
    J kavanghs are much better than bus Eireann. Bus Eireann are actually allergic to leaving on time from Busaras! This nonsense is just not accepted in other countries.

For example,
    Once I was getting a bus from Busaras schedule to leave at 8pm, The bus driver comes on at 8pm like he has never got pinched in his life.

GET HIS CDS ready for the journey going through them all may i add, THEN sets up the ticket machine etc, I was just amazed at actually standing watching and waiting. we boarded after 8..

BUS leaves at 8.10pm, but hey.....

Secondly want to come to the second burning question,
    I think I might know the bus driver that you are talking about Sing Dumb.

Is He a small framed, short, red/auburn haired guy???

I have simalar experiences too, if this is the same particular person who I had to put up with.

Never thought I would bring it up, but now that someone else has gotten the same abuse, heres my take on it.

A few months ago, I was took the jjkavanagh bus, but my surprise the ignorant bus driver was on:rolleyes:.

I got on and gave my 10Euro and was about to tell him where i was going to, he SHOUTED "where are you going" in a agressive manner. I told him, and he was like snatching the money... It was actually funny. well too, if your a fly on the wall.

Anyway apart from his dangerous driving, beeping the horn like a maniac at other motorists.

Half way home I had too pee, yes I know and the toilet on the bus seemed locked, so I went up to the bus driver. I asked him for the key, He SHOUTED there is no key just open it, his attitude was abrupt and impaitent. So ignored, and went down myself to try open it, no hope. Second time i went up and repeated i can't open it??!!

Wait for it. The Bus going over 65miles an hour, slammed on the brakes with the other passengers bar myself on it too, he was In a rage. He gets off his chair, stomps the whole way down the bus and nearly ****in.g breakes the door in and stomps off without saying much but "THERE". at me.

Anyway there was a problem with this door, it was not a problem on the other buses, I later found out. So I wasn't bein a pain in the whole to him to start with, which is how he made me felt at the time.
    And anyway I was paying for a service!!!.

This is just one of many of this bizarre incidents with him driving the bus.:D

Its better to just laugh at a 30 something man behaving like a spoilt 16 year old teenager trying to manage a normal situation.

I actually was so tempted to make a complaint, but I'd like to think I have better things to do.

My two cents.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

sing_dumb and mysterious, I work with JJ Kavanagh and Sons, the guys in the office came across this thread. (no2 result in google: jj kavanagh airport express).

We have read the positive and negitive comments. Complaints and other feedback is taken seriously, we would always like to think that we have better trained staff, higher quality coaches and a better overall experience then traveling with Bus Eireann or other coach companies.

I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience on one of your journeys , and I hope that you take into the account the comments by others and give us another chance.

In terms of your complaint, can you please contact me at adam@jjkavanagh.ie directly so that we can rectify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

On the 26 th and 27/11/09 I called their office in Dublin (016791549) and enquired about their service from Shannon Airport to Dublin Airport. 1 service at 8 am was removed from the website and I decided to ask about it. After some discussion between the clerks at the office on the phone I was assured that there was a delay on the website and I should not worry about it and plan it as normal. Guess what, I went at Shannon airport and waited as a fool there for the 8 am bus, which never arrived. At the Airport information I was given the same schedule as the one on the website, which clearly stated that 8 am service was removed.
    You tell me then, how should I name this behavior of JJKavanagh's. It was a pure lie on the phone!
    I was mislead twice by them on the phone and as I am typing this message fulfilled by anger I am about to miss my flight from Dublin Airport as I "carefully" planned everything in advance with their "great help".
    I will be advising myself with my solicitor whether I could claim some damages in court arising from this situation!
    If nothing can be done legally I will do my best on various blogs to let people know how to deal with such a company that lets their customers suffer from their pure unprofessional manner.
    I am deeply distressed and believe no more in this service!
    People, mind when you speak to their customer's line because from what I experienced it seems that nothing is more important but their private finance and NOT the CUSTOMERS!

Bottom line:
    Consequently I have called their main line(0818333222) in order to complain and the woman from the opposite side plainly said that she can not do much about it, not even excuses were offered. Absolute disgrace!
    I would encourage everyone with bad experience regarding JJ Kavanagh to leave their feedback on their Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Urlingford-Ireland/JJ-Kavanagh-Sons/94487723472
    I am not trying to be nasty, but when somebody lied to you TWICE on the phone (may be from pure negligence to his work) in a "professional manner"............this is so NOT FAIR!!!!!!!
    There are plenty of people waiting on the dole queue begging for his job, Mr JJ Kvanagh!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mikemac wrote: »
    JJ Kavanagh does lots of trips on Sunday nights for college students and are making good money doing it. I don't see Bus Eireann doing this

The queues of BE buses trying to unload at the turning bay in Maynooth on a Sunday night belies this...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BizTalker wrote: »
    1 service at 8 am was removed from the website and I decided to ask about it.

would you not just have believed the website and timetable:confused:

would you not just have believed the website and timetable:confused:
    Hmmmmm... Would you believe in God because I said so???
    The website is set up by those people that have no clue about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

BizTalker wrote: »
    Hmmmmm... Would you believe in God because I said so???
    The website is set up by those people that have no clue about it.

Hi BizTalker, I work on the JJK Website and I would like to think I have a clue about it :-) The database that populates the online website also populates our ticket machines etc so it should always be correct. But unfortunately that doesn't fix your problem. I would recommend that you air your issue directly to Paul Kavanagh or JJ Kavanagh at 0818 333 222 (this is our main number for customers that is advertised on all timetables etc) during office hours Mon - Sat.

I am sorry that you were given incorrect information on the phone, I double checked the website there today , and there is no mention of an 8am service out of Shannon on the printed timetables of the site , or on the timetable lookup function. (This service starts at Limerick as the 8am from Shannon was canceled a while back).

The best way to comment on issues you have had is to talk to the owners directly as they do not read the boards.

validis_ wrote: »
    Hi BizTalker, I work on the JJK Website and I would like to think I have a clue about it :-) The database that populates the online website also populates our ticket machines etc so it should always be correct. But unfortunately that doesn't fix your problem. I would recommend that you air your issue directly to Paul Kavanagh or JJ Kavanagh at 0818 333 222 (this is our main number for customers that is advertised on all timetables etc) during office hours Mon - Sat.

I am sorry that you were given incorrect information on the phone, I double checked the website there today , and there is no mention of an 8am service out of Shannon on the printed timetables of the site , or on the timetable lookup function. (This service starts at Limerick as the 8am from Shannon was canceled a while back).

The best way to comment on issues you have had is to talk to the owners directly as they do not read the boards.

Validis,
    I meant no offence against the developpers and administrators of the website. In fact the website was spot on. The problem is that we are inclined to always trust humans as the web is also a human product.
    The guy on the phone blamed it on the web, it sounded reasonable to me and I believed on his words.
    Thank you for those contacts! I won't stop and will raise the issue with the owners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement