Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

New Interpol EP is quite good, kind of what you'd expect from them but I'm enjoying it. The new Hey Colossus record Four Bibles is superb as is the soundtrack that Biffy Clyro released last week Balance, Not Symmetry. Also if you like all out metal/grindcore than the new record from Full of Hell Weeping Choir is worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Teleman have released Family of Aliens remixed. Worth a listen but nothing to get over excited about.
    https://telemanmusic.bandcamp.com/album/family-of-remixes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Acosta

Gnoomes - Mu!

Brilliant album

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭mosstin

Right, well the new Bill Callahan is just ****ing great. I love Bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Loving the crumb album which came out on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Black Midi anyone?

They are getting fairly hyped in some quarters and while I don't think they are doing anything too groundbreaking I think a lot of their stuff is pretty alright and they are definitely waaaay out there compared to a lot of the utterly bland shite that gets hyped up.

Arghus wrote: »
    Black Midi anyone?

They are getting fairly hyped in some quarters and while I don't think they are doing anything too groundbreaking I think a lot of their stuff is pretty alright and they are definitely waaaay out there compared to a lot of the utterly bland shite that gets hyped up.

Sounds like john lydon and thats good by me

The new Mannequin Pussy record Patience is excellent. I highly recommend a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Thom Yorke’s new album sounding very good on first listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

A little disappointed with the Black Keys album. Three best songs were the three singles already released

ShaneU wrote: »
    A little disappointed with the Black Keys album. Three best songs were the three singles already released

Its very bad imo for an established act ..

I usually can not stand pop punk music. Hate the melodies, hate the way the guitars sound, especially hate the vocals and the subject Matter. But I saw this record - Morbid Stuff by Pup - was getting good reviews so I gave it a few listens.

And, yes, there's a lot I don't like about it, but it's also got somethings going on that I enjoy: everything is delivered with a bit more balls and intensity than other similarish bands, the instrumentation is interesting and not completely cookie-cutter and the lyrics are pretty self aware, I can look past the vocals which don't really do it for me a lot of the time. There's also this tune which is twice as aggressive as anything else on the album -

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Liking alot the new Purple Mountains (David Berman ex Silver Jews) and Jane Weaver loops in the secret society (remixed versions of songs from previous two albums)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Acosta

The new Flaming Lips album, Kings Mouth, is very nice. Much of it reminds me of Yoshimi. There is however narration from Mick Jones throughout which is annoying.

I’ve been listening to the Soft Cavalry (Rachel Goswell & Husband)’s album the past few weeks. It’s pretty decent once you get past the disappointment of it not sounding very like Slowdive.

Cherubs - Immaculada High.

Been listening to this all weekend and can't recommend it enough. It will be in my top ten for this year. Anyone who is a fan of Metz or The Melvins check this out.

Cherubs - Immaculada High.

Been listening to this all weekend and can't recommend it enough. It will be in my top ten for this year. Anyone who is a fan of Metz or The Melvins check this out.

Spent most of today listening to this. I love it!

The guitar sounds so abrasive and distorted throughout, but the riffs are absolute dynamite. Definitely one of the best of the year.

This is my favourite at the moment -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Finally getting around to giving the new Banks album (III) a proper listen - really good stuff. Her best yet imo. Thought the first record was great and the second one slipped a bit, but this one is the finished article.

Blanck Mass has a new album out. Everything he has done up to this point has been solid, so hopefully it won't dissapoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭mosstin

The new Bon Iver is a return to form. Thought his last one was poor in spite of all the critical acclaim.

After a few early misgivings, I can attest that the new Blanck Mass is solid. Some of the reviews are saying it's a bit much and too abrasive, in which case they're falling victim to the age old problem of pretending to have listened to earlier stuff by the artist they are reviewing; so many music reviewers are totally full of shit. Definitely more mellow than his last two albums, by some distance. Maybe doesn't have the amazing highs of his previous stuff, but a more consistent record overall.

Loads of new stuff to listen to that I'll have to get around to: Tropical Fuck Storm, Sleater Kinney - though I have low expectations on that front - and Bon Iver, even if I kinda hate everything he's done except for the first stuff, but, sure, lookit...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭mgkelly

I’ve been listening to the Soft Cavalry (Rachel Goswell & Husband)’s album the past few weeks. It’s pretty decent once you get past the disappointment of it not sounding very like Slowdive.
    Yes, the lack of similarity was a bit of a disappointment to me initially, but it is actually quite a good album. Feels a wee bit like "Slowdive-lite", perhaps.
    A good enough album on it's own merit, & I guess the best way to assess it.
    On a related subject, the new Ride album is quite tasty.
    Now, a new Slowdive or Minor Victories album would be nice...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

The new Tool album is predictably superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Joffrey

Our's "Strangers With Guns" came out on Friday. I'll link it through bandcamp because it's just a URl but it's all on major platforms

If any of you are fans of bands like "Rollins Band" "Butthole Surfers" or "Melvins" you might dig us. We also have Mik Pyro cameo on the track "Monkey King"

https://strangerswithguns.bandcamp.com/album/degenerate-art

I’m loving Sandro Perri’s album, Soft Landing. I don’t think I’m familiar with any of the influences. The only thing that jumps out at me as a possible antecedent is Fleetwood Mac’s Albatross.

The new album by Alex G, House of Sugar, sounds very good at first listen. Strong Elliott Smith vibe off a lot of the songs in places, feels like an album that'll offer more with further listens:

The new Girl Band album, The Talkies, was released yesterday. It's good to have them back, a cut above most Irish bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

New DIIV album out today, 'Deceiver'. One of my favourite bands, gone for a heavier sound this time around.

And brand new Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds album, 'Ghosteen'. Very synthy and mellow from first listen.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/04/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-ghosteen-review-the-most-beautiful-songs-he-has-ever-recorded
    On one level, it shouldn’t be surprising that it’s as good as it is: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have been in a career-high purple patch since the last double album they released, 2004’s Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus. Nevertheless, listening to Ghosteen, it’s very hard indeed not to be taken aback.

Advertisement