Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin rant thread!..

• 28-02-2009 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Get it off your chest!.

What do you hate about Dublin?. What do you love even or what would you change.

Where's the worse neighbourhood you've lived in, where would you not live (me, I'd pick Ballyfermot & Finglas).

The thread will be closed Sunday night/Monday morning.

Rules - personal abuse will get you banned from the forum for 3 days - no if's, but's or maybe's - YOUR GONE. Same applies to racial slur's (use a little cop-on with this one ok!).

Try to keep it more on the light hearted side, taking into account that come Monday were all friends again :D

(I'm gonna regret this one I think, but there's an under current of tension here me finks ;) ).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I fcuckin hate the empty-headed female morons that seem to infest the southside at the moment.
    They usually have orange faces,are always on the phone,carry coffee everywhere and cannot string two words together witthout saying the word "like".
    "So it was like,i was like..hello,like?"
    Idiots the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I hate that I hardly know any of my new neighbours who've moved in over the past 4 years. Maybe it was just easier when I was small, 'cause I'd have been hanging out with their kids or something!

Another rant - cycle lanes. They are full of stones, ****, oil, branches. I'm going through an inner tube a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Dog ****! How is it that approximately 0% of dog owners clean up after them and think that this is acceptable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Stupid bastards playing crappy chipmunk music on thier poxy phones on the bleeding bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

i hate all the foreigners tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i hate the drummies an D4 clones.

i hate finglas around cappagh.

i hate the litterbugs. how hard is it to put stuff in a bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I hate the luas, it always smells like sweat and has people drinking/smoking(some time hash) on it. The Tallaght line anyway.

I hate that the bus prices have gone up, i know its only by 20c, but when you have to use the bus as much as me it really starts to get annoying.

I hate that i can't walk through town with out some scumbag giving me greif.

I hate the attitude of the security gaurds in the Stevens Green shopping center, and i hate one of them in particular, i have my reasons.

I that its one of the only big European cities where you can get aressted for skating.

There's a lot i hate about Dublin, but tbh, none of this matters because the pros VASTLY out weight the cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Moved out of the kip this week. I hate Dublin

Yuck, the crowds, the traffic, public transport.

I moved to Greystones. I love Wicklow

Ah, the country side, sea, beach, friendly athmosphere.

Still have to travel to the hell hole for work though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

I hate that the first sign of rain/wind/snow is an instant excuse to close the city down, clog up the roads, no ones going anywhere.

I also hate the mindset of a lot of Dubs to moan about stuff yet if they have the ability to change whatever they moan about - they just couldn't be bothered. Apathy grrrrrr:eek::confused: moaning is a passtime round these parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I hate that Dublin has been pwned by JC Decaux.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

get a life you clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

See ya Monday.
    acontadino wrote: »
    get a life you clown

See ya Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Where's the love? :D

I object the OP reference to Ballyc and Finglas as places not to live. Labelling 60 odd thousand people or whatever it is as undesirable beings ain't just on ;)

What I do hate about Dublin is..

Ponces who have lived in ivory towers and when they move to the Docklands for example, they have not a clue what the peasants endure daily.
    Junkies and skangers who act like scum, get rid of them, it destroys Dublin's friendly image. You never see skangers on the continent!

What i love about Dublin is..

The overwhelming friendliness of meeting a stranger where one could strike up a conversation about anything and they could be your best friend, now that does not happen anywhere else that often outside this island?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭pcardin

[SNIPPED]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

hey all..i hate that we have lost our personnal touch with people,,,i am born raised and work in Dublin,,,its mostly a great part of Ireland ,,,but most people have lost that friendliness,,,great lack of patience with people,,chill out everyone its nice to be nice,,,yeah there is good craic at times but its getting less and less...i work as a clerk for a financial institution (not a bank thankfully) and there is alot of unfriendliness,,attitudes and abuse,,,over nothing major heart attacks over nothin...

cyclists need to learn road manners,,stop at the red lights please and for the love of bejasus look out for you know the cars lorries motorbikes that ye just pull out in front of...and of course us pedestrians ye particalary love to nearly knock over...

Yeh, its free to be nice shezzie. Mairt, you've opened a can of worms here ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

gurramok wrote: »
    You never see skangers on the continent!

Jesus, you are soooo wrong about that!!
    Don't know where you got that idea from? :confused:

I hate the moterists in Dublin, that have no respect for cyclist and that think, just because i don't have an engine i shouldn't be on the road!!!!

Even on a short commute from Tallaght to Terenure for rugby training... I swear, i'd stay on the cycle path the whole way down, AND SO DO HALF THE BLOODY MOTORISTS!!:mad:

Something should be done about them.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Jesus, you are soooo wrong about that!!
    Don't know where you got that idea from? :confused:

They are hard to identify, they don't wear tracksuits with their usual chains and earrings!:P
    Something should be done about them.

Maybe the cycle path was part of the road with just a painted line rather than Dutch style off the road?

Bravo for cycling in Dublin, its a suicide mission.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mikemac wrote: »
    Hate the way many Dubs make zero effort to learn more about other areas.
    From what I've seen people who move to Dublin know far, far more about the city and the areas. Simply because they make a effort to learn as they move around to rent places.

The questions I get asked in office by some Dubs, what county is Tullamore in? Just an example, where's Longford do ya know?
    Newcastle, where's that? Hey, this is your county so you should be the one telling me where Newcastle is.
    Hey I don't expect you know the county town of county in Ireland but there's something arrogant about not looking outside your own city

Well thats hardly fair, you are saying people from outside Dublin know it well because of their years spent renting there. That's hardly making an effort.

Most people from Dublin know anywhere they have been and have a decent idea of county towns too. eg I know where Longford is, if I didn't I might end up there by mistake.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

They are hard to identify, they don't wear tracksuits with their usual chains and earrings!:P

Oh they do, they do. Skangers were the first truely globalized sub-culture. There's a German, Dutch and Belgian version of the Springer show and there they are. Very Rosey glasses on there with that synopsis. Skangers are EVERYWHERE.

Why in Fukc haven't we had a directly elected mayor other than this scum of sh!t that rises through the greasy ranks of sleeveen coucellors!!? A bi-annually publicly elected mayor to enforce positive actions in the city is now and always has been needed. Shower of wasters running the show, jaunting merrily like drunk fcukwits!

• Advertisement

Hmm, i haven't seen them yet on my travels to France/Germany though they stick out a mile in other attire!

Now, that directly elected stuff is love rather than hate, we need a powerful directly elected leader like Livingstone for London to stick up for Dubs as the city has no real voice.

Hmm, i haven't seen them yet on my travels to France/Germany though they stick out a mile in other attire!

Now, that directly elected stuff is love rather than hate, we need a powerful directly elected leader like Livingstone for London to stick up for Dubs as the city has no real voice.

No it's hate. I hate the present system and all that sail in its rancid bowels. I would love an openly elected and accountable system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

Ummm, tbh in fairness, in Berlin I seen minimal amount of skangers but France, a whole different ball game. In Paris for example, the 'skangers' live miles away from the centre. You won't see them visiting the eiffel tower or what have you as they hardly ever venture into the city proper. They actually do wear tracksuits and are pretty alike the ones here, only with much more of a grudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭jaffa20

anladmór wrote: »
    Ummm, tbh in fairness, in Berlin I seen minimal amount of skangers but France, a whole different ball game. In Paris for example, the 'skangers' live miles away from the centre. You won't see them visiting the eiffel tower or what have you as they hardly ever venture into the city proper. They actually do wear tracksuits and are pretty alike the ones here, only with much more of a grudge.

Yep, i agree. There are skangers everywhere. Wish the dublin ones would learn from the parisiens though and stay in the suburbs, i.e Tallaght, Finglas :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Oh they do, they do. Skangers were the first truely globalized sub-culture. There's a German, Dutch and Belgian version of the Springer show and there they are. Very Rosey glasses on there with that synopsis. Skangers are EVERYWHERE.

I disagree. There might be some but not nearly as many, they're not everywhere and don't make as much of a nuisance of themselves. It's one reason I'm so glad I left Ireland.

What happened to this being a rant thread!!! Where's the FURY...Le Haine!! I expended myself on the original proposal...IMMA just gives me to dull a headache when I think about it.

But, but , but...skangers exist EVERYWHERE. Especially continent and particularly the low countries. But the lay-out of cities, urban sprawls and access to and distribution of social amenities means that there is less mixing and less in your face sub-culture knacks.

What the fascination with putting walls around front gardens!!? How fcuking nuts are we...Place looks like Connemara!! FFS Conemara!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I fúcking hate the M50, and the fact I have to queue just to get on the fúcking thing.

Why will the thread be closed tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I disagree. There might be some but not nearly as many, they're not everywhere and don't make as much of a nuisance of themselves. It's one reason I'm so glad I left Ireland.

:rolleyes:

what city do you live in? how many cities in europe have you been to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I hate:

-The fact that it's easier to find an open chain store than somewhere of cultural significance (like museums/libraries)
    -That public transport is pathetic
    -That the city centre smells
    -That when I park my car out of hours someone will ask me for protection money
    -That I have to drive around with the doors locked constantly
    -That people think it's mean of you not to spend €3 on a ****ty, badly made capuccino
    -That despite being on the coast it's nearly impossible to buy fresh fish
    -That people are too busy to stop and pick up a little old lady when she falls over
    -That visiting a friend requires written advance notice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thoie wrote: »
    -That when I park my car out of hours someone will ask me for protection money

That still goes on?
    I thought those days were long past

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement