Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What anti virus software to use on a new laptop

• 27-09-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I just go a new laptop with mcafee preinstalled, I'm going to replace it with AVG free, do you have any other advise for protection of my laptop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Norton Internet Security. Nothing has comparable detection rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I just use Windows Defender that came with Windows 8. It's free and doesn't get in the way. Viruses are less of an issue these days it's malware that you have to worry about. For that I have Malwarebytes. They have a free version that will scan your system or a paid version that actively scans your computer for incoming threats. I have the paid version. Only, when I bought it it was a lifetime license. Now they are charging $25 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

frankmul wrote: »
    I just go a new laptop with mcafee preinstalled, I'm going to replace it with AVG free, do you have any other advise for protection of my laptop
    Do you want a few version or willing to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015 + Malwarebytes Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭frankmul

advertsfox wrote: »
    Do you want a few version or willing to pay?

I would prefer free versions

• Advertisement

Bit defender v avg, I would have used avg previously, is bit defender better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

bitdefender i hear is the best, but i have kaspersky. cant beat the russians. does the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

GarIT wrote: »
    Back that up....if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), it's free and you'll get the updates along with other Windows updates. Paying for AV s/w these days is a mug's game, some members of my family are still paying for Norton Antivirus through their Eircom bill which sets my blood pressure rising every time it's mentioned.

And install the free version of Malwarebytes and run it once a week.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/security-essentials-download
    http://www.malwarebytes.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Absolutely, haven't needed to use an antivirus since the days MS Essentials come out, there's a reason it's built in to Windows 8.

Absolutely, haven't needed to use an antivirus since the days MS Essentials come out, there's a reason it's built in to Windows 8.

Has it improved since they told people not to use it as it was worse than useless?

Has it improved since they told people not to use it as it was worse than useless?

When did they tell people not to use it? Link?

If they don't want people to use it, why do they publish almost daily updates to keep the virus data current?

And why would they continue to say the following on their website ....

Microsoft Security Essentials is built for individuals and small businesses, but it’s based on the same technology that Microsoft uses to protect giant businesses (security products like Microsoft Forefront, the Malicious Software Removal Tool, and Windows Defender). We have a whole team watching for new threats and coming up with ways to squash them.

We’re proud to have received great recognition for the protection we offer: the VB100 award from Virus Bulletin Ltd., Checkmark Certification from West Coast Labs, and certification from the ICSA Labs.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/security-essentials-product-information#tabs1=overview

I've been using it on my current laptop (my first Win7 machine) for over four years and ne'er a bother with viruses since. The only thing that gets through are dodgy entries in my registry which Malwarebytes detects and quarantines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Still waiting...
    coylemj wrote: »
    When did they tell people not to use it? Link?
    Link was posted already.

Checking there, MSE is still being used as a Baseline to rate everything against. And yup, they are still sh1t in Real World Protection, Detection Rates, False Positives and probably the rest I'm not checking.

Pick just about any other Product and you'll be better off.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Pick just about any other Product and you'll be better off.

The quality of MSE / Defender is absolutely perfect for any normal user. That How-To link posted references an offhand comment by a MS employee and the headline is link-bait. It is the most unobtrusive AV I've ever used, it's lightweight and easy to understand, and will flag any of the major viruses out there - as will any popular free variant (AVG, Avast, Avira).

People get far too paranoid about anti-viruses. I think it stems from the early 2000's when AVs cost upwards of €100, and nobody knew what viruses were, or what they could do, and where they came from.

(edit: AND everyone was literally downloading viruses onto their computers through LimeWire :D)

I've used MSE since the day it came out and never had a virus on any of my systems (I am a programmer and spend roughly 8 hours a day on PCs).

I've used MSE since the day it came out and never had a virus on any of my systems (I am a programmer and spend roughly 8 hours a day on PCs).
    So you know what you're doing which negates the fact that MSE is sh1t.

Never mind the article so, it's still bottom in all the tests above.

Despite coming on the lower end of the spectrum for benchmark tests, the fact remains that the everyday user is protected fine by MSE. MSE would not be adequate if the user was extremely incompetent (for example very elderly) and wilfully clicked through every one of these they come across:

vFXxJha.jpg

(in which case I would question why that person is allowed near the computer unsupervised). Or if someone was determined to actually get a virus on the machine. Any major in-the-wild viruses are quickly dealt with by all major AV providers.

That av-comparatives site's most in-depth test (the 'Real World' Analysis) confirms what I expected to see, MSE lets through 11% more viruses than most others.

I think it's a small risk to live with for the satisfaction of knowing you never need to look at another AV again. And if you are any way sensible about computers at all - it's a tiny one.

Back that up....if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/user/languy99

Last vid was a year ago.

• Advertisement

Last vid was a year ago.

Things haven't changed that much, Norton still have all the protections they had then. As far as free products go Avira is the only one that comes out good in every test.

I'm with Desperate Dan above, I've been using PCs since early 1984, my first machine had 512K (half a megabyte) of RAM and I've been using them ever since.

I run the MS maclicious software removal tool (MSRT) every month when they publish a new version, I never open attachments in e-mails and I run MalwareBytes once or twice a week. And I have never been infected by a virus or at least one that wasn't immediately detected and quarantined.

You can point to all sorts of lists which say that MSE is sh1te but those lists are usually sponsored by magazines and websites which rely on advertising revenue from AV companies - 'nuf said. I don't need some geek to tell me that if I install brand 'x' AV s/w and open an attachment in a spam e-mail that the virus will be detected.

MSE is the Colgate toothpaste of AV s/w - it does the job though if you choose to you, you can buy lots of alternatives which are available in multiple flavours and colourful stripes, none of which at the end of the day make them any more effective to a user capable of exercising proper caution when running a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tauruz_ie

AVG free have used if for years, little to no hassle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm currently using Avast free but must agree with the above re: MSE. It's a no nonsense, non-annoying solution which will do the job for most people. Plus it is free for small business owners (most other free ones are for non-commercial use only). It looks as though Avast detection rates are no longer as good as it was previously, it just goes to show no AV solution is ever going to be perfect :)

Nick

MSE is the Colgate toothpaste
    :eek::eek: You're not using Colgate Toothpaste aswell!!!

Colgate Total Ingredient Linked to Hormones, Cancer Spotlights FDA Process
    The chemical triclosan has been linked to cancer-cell growth and disrupted development in animals. Regulators are reviewing whether it’s safe to put in soap, cutting boards and toys. Consumer companies are phasing it out. Minnesota voted in May to ban it in many products.

At the same time, millions of Americans are putting it in their mouths every day, by way of a top-selling toothpaste that uses the antibacterial chemical to head off gum disease -- Colgate-Palmolive Co.’s Total.
    Colgate’s Total application included 35 pages summarizing toxicology studies on triclosan, which the FDA withheld from view. The agency released the pages earlier this year in response to a lawsuit over a Freedom of Information Act request. Later, following inquiries from Bloomberg News, the FDA put the pages on its website.

The pages show how even with one of the U.S.’s most stringent regulatory processes -- FDA approval of a new drug -- the government relies on company-backed science to show products are safe and effective. The recently released pages, taken alongside new research on triclosan, raise questions about whether the agency did appropriate due diligence in approving Total 17 years ago, and whether its approval should stand in light of new research, said three scientists who reviewed the pages at Bloomberg News’s request.

Among the pages were studies showing fetal bone malformations in mice and rats. Colgate said the findings weren’t relevant. Viewed through the prism of today’s science, such malformations look more like a signal that triclosan is disrupting the endocrine system and throwing off hormonal functioning, according to the three scientists.
    Read the rest of it. Dirty rotten Shower of wh*res^^^.

Anyway, Use what ye are happy with. I was just showing ye their's better rated stuff out there.

You must be Jim Corr's research assistant.

You must be Jim Corr's research assistant.
    lol....that's so dumb.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Lets get back on topic everyone. Enough of the trolling

Code for a free AVG full suite for 4 years over on Bargain Alerts. Handiest way for non super duper experts to install is inputting of code during fresh install of full suite download.

• Advertisement

Code for a free AVG full suite for 4 years over on Bargain Alerts. Handiest way for non super duper experts to install is inputting of code during fresh install of full suite download.

I'm going to go with bit defender and the free AVG suite. Thanks for all he help.

Advertisement