Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fractale

• 14-01-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Just saw Fractale and it has some serious potential to be good, definately going to watch it but I found having Salley gardens as the ED theme kinda odd, Do japanese really like Irish songs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Yea just watched it today too, I noticed the random police car in the episode had "Garda" on the side too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

obwlK.jpg

Surreal, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ha, that's crazy! Most of them are prolly like WTF is GARDA? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

How did i miss all that i noticed that the ending song was a Yeats poem but missed that.

GARDA would come out as guard or close when pressed with the limited Japanese phonetics

• Registered Users Posts: 53,833 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im suprised to learn Fractale is based in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DonQuigleone

The Garda car isn't the only thing about that's distinctly Irish:

1. The Gardai shown have fairly accurate uniforms, particularly the hat has the Garda coat of arms on it
    2. The father says he lives in Luimnigh (IE Limerick), why they went with the Irish and not the English I don't know. Rule of Cool I guess.
    3. The house is fairly typical of houses out west.
    4. Clein doesn't remove his shoes when he enters the house, and the house has no entry area like a Japanese home (this is more indicative it's outside Japan)
    5. The aforementioned Searbh on his drink.
    6. The scenery is a pretty accurate representation of the west coast, like around the cliffs of moher, even down to the stone walls.
    7. The church is a copy of an Irish Church, see this image, The graves are slightly different, but the main building itself is identical, which is pretty nifty. The church in question is in the Aran Islands

It might be fun to come up with a list of everything "Irish" about this series. Given the fact that the church in this episode is an exact copy of a real church, I wonder if any of the other buildings, shots are likewise copies of real life locations? Kyoto Animation famously did that with several of their series, and many of those locations started to draw otaku tourists. Will Inishmore see a sudden jump in tourists from Japan? Will Clein and Phrynne dolls be sold alongside shilelaghs and plaid in small cottages across the west? I suppose it depends on whether or not it does well...

Still, it can only be good advertising, Noitamina gets pretty good ratings, usually.

Anyone up for spotting more "Irish stuff" as the series progresses, if anyone actually lives out west, investigating whether or not the locations depicted are real or not would also be pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

uSZUe.jpg
    cgdw9.jpg
    IbdAd.jpg

It seems to be based on Inishmore. The houses there look the same too. You could probably find the exact locations if you looked.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Watched Fractale there, lawd is it Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Fractale has had it English release cancelled as apparently the way to stop piracy of the legal streams it to stop them and leave only fansubs left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I watched episode 01 of Fractale last night, very promising. I used to spend a lot of time on Inishmore as I have family there. The old church in the anime looks exactly like the one I used to play in as a kid :)

• Advertisement

So I watched Fractale 2 today, and everything still points to Ireland (note the celtic knots all over the place, like the weird church place at the beginning).

Anyway, more interestingly is trying to figure out if the town featured is a real one. The clock tower is fairly unique, and similiarish to photos of the galway clock tower, but I'm not sure about the rest. There's also shots of a canal. Anyone have any ideas? All of Episode 1 seems to be in and around Inishmore, Where this episode takes place I have no idea.

Also some shots of the cliffs of Moher (I think) early on while they cycle, so I don't think they're paying too much to feasible travelling times, which I don't really mind, makes for more interesting stuff to see, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

So I watched Fractale 2 today, and everything still points to Ireland (note the celtic knots all over the place, like the weird church place at the beginning).

Anyway, more interestingly is trying to figure out if the town featured is a real one. The clock tower is fairly unique, and similiarish to photos of the galway clock tower, but I'm not sure about the rest. There's also shots of a canal. Anyone have any ideas? All of Episode 1 seems to be in and around Inishmore, Where this episode takes place I have no idea.

Also some shots of the cliffs of Moher (I think) early on while they cycle, so I don't think they're paying too much to feasible travelling times, which I don't really mind, makes for more interesting stuff to see, I guess.

Seemed to be Galway with a few changes.

Mill Street Garda Station:
    dbaM2.jpg

DingChavez wrote: »
    Seemed to be Galway with a few changes.

Mill Street Garda Station:

The garda Station seems to be a fair match, though the rest of the town seems less accurate, does Galway have an area matching the scene near the stream/canal? That shot seemed similiar enough to somewhere near the grand canal in Dublin, though it's likely somewhere else.

Then it's Galway, I thought as much, the clock tower is kinda similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

It's definitely Galway in Fractale :) I used to live there so I recognised it from the first shot of them walking past the alley - that got quite a giggle out of me.
    One of the signs on the street even says "GLWAY"

They took some liberties with the arrangement of Shop Street, but here's a few comparison shots. I'll be back in Galway on Sunday and I plan on getting some proper photos of all the locations for the craic. :D

The canals just off Mill Street. Notice the Cathedral in the background.
    500798.png

Church Lane, just off Shop Street. (The angle in the show is looking out from the alley, Google Street View is looking in)

500799.png

The previously shown Mills Street Garda Station. The interior shot of the building in the show is actually a perfect recreation too!

500800.png

The famous RYANS sign on Shop Street :pac:

500801.png

Here's where the changes start appearing. Everything is correct except for the placement of the church, which is actually directly behind the pharmacy on the right
    There's actually an earlier shot in the anime looking the other direction down this street which follows the street plan in Galway exactly, but the buildings are drawn differently. (They even have the RYANS sign in the earlier shot, but it's painted green and has GLWAY written on it)

500802.png

And finally St. Nicholas's Church - or at least the main steeple.

500803.png

There are some other locations, like the metal crane statue that is just down the road from the canals, but I didn't screencap any of them for the moment.

Woops, forgot to crop out the top of firefox in those last shots... now you all know of my terrible addiction to browsing the Pokédexs on Serebii!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Anyone see this new anime Fractale? its on its 4th episode and i've only started watching the first one and 2 minutes in theres the gardai car and the proper uniform. Not sure whats going on yet.

Anyone see this new anime Fractale? its on its 4th episode and i've only started watching the first one and 2 minutes in theres the gardai car and the proper uniform. Not sure whats going on yet.

There's already been quite a good discussion of Fractale on this forum. I've now taken those posts from the Winter Anime 10/11 thread and created this thread specifically for discussion of Fractale.

So there ya go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

WOW thats so creepy, I know can't wait to see the rest of the anime as I'm from galway. Freaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Madjackjr

i was wondering when this tread would get started :)

• Advertisement

Meant to put these up a while ago, but Fractale's lack of new Irish locations made me forget about em XD
    I was in Galway a few weeks ago and tried to get photos from the same angles as the shots in the show.
    The one of the Canals was printed in the Galway Advertiser this week, but the bastards never credited me :pac:

500804.png
    500805.png
    500806.png
    500807.png
    500808.png

500809.png
    500810.png
    500811.png
    500812.png
    500813.png

They're awesome pics Sairus, cheers :D

Hmm, perhaps we should get these images into the general Anime blogosphere...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Dublins in there too. Nowhere near as accurate as Galway but you can notice a few landmarks such as the national conference center and the grand canal theatre. I threw in a few captures so you can have a gawk.

Dublins in there too. Nowhere near as accurate as Galway but you can notice a few landmarks such as the national conference center and the grand canal theatre. I threw in a few captures so you can have a gawk.

You're right, that is the new docklands redevelopment!

the 3rd one really clinches it, the checkerboard pattern is very distinctive.

You're right, that is the new docklands redevelopment!

the 3rd one really clinches it, the checkerboard pattern is very distinctive.

There was a bunch of shots in that episode that tickled my memory but I couldn't figure out where I'd seen them before! Good stuff! :D

It's pretty impressive that they were aware of it. The docklands is quite new.

It's pretty impressive that they were aware of it. The docklands is quite new.

It seems they went to ridiculous effort for this show. I mean, they recreated the inside of the Galway Garda Station right down to the little blue sticker on the glass panel :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Great pics Sairus! I knew it was modelled off parts of Galway and Inishmore but I had no idea it was that accurate. That's actually pretty creepy they'd go to such lengths D:

Advertisement