Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2 big cells broken out, one near labasheeda in Clare and one south of foynes. Loud long rumbling bursts of thunder audible here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JCX BXC wrote: »
    2 big cells broken out, one near labasheeda in Clare and one south of foynes. Loud long rumbling bursts of thunder audible here in West Clare.

Have since merged to form one fairly large thunderstorm moving towards Ennis, radar returns look insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Have since merged to form one fairly large thunderstorm moving towards Ennis, radar returns look insane.

Ninja thunder and lightning. Can’t beat it.

Looks like Galway city is gonna get a direct hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The_Outsider

Went more or less directly overhead here. Wasn't as intense as I thought it would be given the radar returns.
    Watched a lovely C-G bolt strike around 2km west of me, and heard plently of other close and deep rumbles.
    But just 'heavy' rain, nothing startling, and zero hail.

Still, I'll take that any day.
    Great to get a good cell passing close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunder currently in Castlebar and some hail added in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Thunder rumbling near Castlebar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There was a very brief splatter of hail here in Castlebar followed by some raps of thunder.

That beats my previous record for wintry weather in this area which was 3rd May, a long time ago. I take mental notes of these things. Not sure it counts though as it was very short lived. Certainly a first for me to see hail in JUNE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

AllForIt wrote: »
    There was a very brief splatter of hail here in Castlebar followed by some raps of thunder.

That beats my previous record for wintry weather in this area which was 3rd May, a long time ago. I take mental notes of these things. Not sure it counts though as it was very short lived. Certainly a first for me to see hail in JUNE!!!

Hail is not a winter phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

AllForIt wrote: »

Theres normally a lot more convection in June than winter, so hail would prob be more common in the summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    Looks like Galway city is gonna get a direct hit.

That should light a fair few spliffs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not many sferics overnight and what there was stayed well off the coast, none in the NW as far as I know , fair amount of activity up along the W today.

Missed all the rain here near Tralee today apart from 0.2mm, some sunny breaks but quite cloudy, could see some nice towers in the distance.

olXig1o.png

dWF0360.gif

ECM captured it fairly well today, had the parameters well aligned that matched the track of the storms. Colder uppers over the Western half of the country, LLS and very decent DLS especially along the W coast , converging winds, decent lapse rates and reached decent 2m temps as the weather moved up the W.

36xMNbo.png

HcnabP2.png

kCTnICq.png

LOVJCzR.png

9yVZzqZ.png

Py99AYE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

It looks like we will see some heavy showers across Ulster on Saturday afternoon some possibly forming into isolated thunderstorms. Derry & Antrim look most at risk and possibly Tyrone and Down also. Will see what this mornings model runs show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There seem to be some heavy showers in Northern Ireland this afternoon according to radar charts but no sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

processed much i wonder

Meanwhile...in west Texas, storm chaser Laura Rowe captured the picture of a lifetime last night (May 17, 2021), with this fantastic shot of a mature supercell thunderstorm, illuminated at varying heights from the setting sun.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    processed much i wonder

Meanwhile...in west Texas, storm chaser Laura Rowe captured the picture of a lifetime last night (May 17, 2021), with this fantastic shot of a mature supercell thunderstorm, illuminated at varying heights from the setting sun.

:eek: Cool!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    :eek: Cool!

A neighbour was sailing off North wexford a few years ago,they were telling me,when a small water spout passed them
    They said the water felt warm as it sprayed them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Unusual for the UK Met to put out a specific video like this. Something big must be going down for the southern UK:

Would say it is highly unlikely at this stage, but maybe still a chance of a few of these storms scraping the SE coast here?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Unusual for the UK Met to put out a specific video like this. Something big must be going down for the southern UK:

Would say it is highly unlikely at this stage, but maybe still a chance of a few of these storms scraping the SE coast here?

Looks like some major thunderstorms for wednesday thursday coming up from france. Sunday and monday could be the same. No such luck here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

spookwoman wrote: »
    Looks like some major thunderstorms for wednesday thursday coming up from france. Sunday and monday could be the same. No such luck here.

The GFS shows bands of precipitation spreading NW on Sunday/Monday - so we might get a glance from that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the UK thunderstorm risk has decreased somewhat and limited to areas like London and Kent/Essex. I doubt there will be any thunderstorm activity for Wales/SW England.

nmmuk-28-32-0.png?15-17

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some storm over France heading to the UK lucky beggars, there are some great live stream cameras on Skyline should be interesting later tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

French met have an orange warning.

The stormy degradation continues over Brittany during this late afternoon, affecting in particular the Côtes d'Armor and Ille-et-Vilaine; this degradation is gradually spreading to the whole of Normandy. Thunderstorms shift to the sea at the end of the day.

Potentially violent phenomena, such as hail and wind gusts of the order of 70 to 80 km / h, are possible, as well as heavy stationary rains which can cause accumulations of the order of 50 liters per square meter at during this stormy episode.

A second stormy wave from Aquitaine touches Anjou and Touraine in the early evening. This rain-storm system will cross the whole of the Center-Val de Loire region and will also affect the east of the Pays de la Loire and the south of Normandy in the first part of the night. This system then shifts to the Paris region from the middle of the next night.

As it passes, violent phenomena are expected, such as hail and strong gusts of wind that can reach 90 km / h, or even locally 100 km / h.

Nice looking cell heading up towards SE England now, possibly hitting the Brighton region in the next couple of hours:

ss4aOQ2.png

Live cam from there, though it looks as if visibilty is quite low there at the mo so hard to make out cloud structure.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton-pier.html

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very heavy rain in parts of the south of England now. Heathrow reporting towering cumulus on the metar

EGLL 161950Z AUTO 20009KT 9999 -RA //////TCU 23/18 Q1009 NOSIG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

Can also see action here. But not great quality. Plenty of lightning though

https://www.rhdr.org.uk/live-station-cam/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

God, it would make you sick how explosively storms fire up over France and Southern England. Just look at those cells firing up over western France right now. Meanwhile we sit and watch sat images and radar for 24 solid hours during any plumes that supposedly should deliver for us watching for the tiniest bit of convection to get going and get some tiny firecracker that goes out before it even gets lit! Super frustrating :(

• Advertisement

glightning wrote: »
    God, it would make you sick how explosively storms fire up over France and Southern England. Just look at those cells firing up over western France right now. Meanwhile we sit and watch sat images and radar for 24 solid hours during any plumes that supposedly should deliver for us watching for the tiniest bit of convection to get going and get some tiny firecracker that goes out before it even gets lit! Super frustrating :(

Was expecting better for the UK to be honest. Looking at the lightning maps a few strikes in the far SE (east of London) but pretty lame by their standards to be honest. More opportunities for them overnight and over the weekend though.

New Moon

Advertisement