Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Comments

I was outside and thought I saw a huge strike in the distance, thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bit of activity around the coasts today, heard there was hail showers down in S Kerry.

NDeoCSd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I was going to post earlier, we had a number of very heavy hail showers come though the reeks. Some were very heavy, still got most things unplugged as I was just waiting for the lightning but it never came..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of activity well off the coast, a storm tracking towards the NW, not sure if any gas left in it. A few getting closer to the W.

Big hail showers with strong convective gusts here near Tralee all day, last one had the biggest sized hail of the day so far, before that it has been quite small.

ebR57sY.png

ILVftJ4.png

anim_qwa4.gif

Some activity in over Kerry/ Cork/ Limerick

some very cold cloud tops streaming inland now.

b6Id6sL.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any chance of sparks from this incoming in Galway , there was activity behind this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I've been unplugged here for some hours now, had some huge hail and ice rain but the lightening is yet to get up into the mountains, flashes around about but seems to be staying on the coast.... The bottle of Jameson's is on standby to steady my nerves...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That's more like a long exposure picking up three different strikes rather than just one instant.

Blitzortung is usually quite accurate, I have witnessed them pick up sferics that the Met Office misses, have witnessed both of them miss sferics too.

Netweather using the Met Office

xOaXb6V.png

HjbSQ6M.png

• Advertisement

That's more like a long exposure picking up three different strikes rather than just one instant.

Misread your post dah... Yes looks very like a long exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A couple of flashes just east of Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A few more in Castlebar now as well, I thought it was a truck outside till I saw the last flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What a massive rumble, shook everything in the house.

Holy fcuk

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Xenji wrote: »
    What a massive rumble, shook everything in the house.
    Holy fcuk

Just came to post the same :D that was a serious rumble just now in castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Had a few rumbles around 8.20 and lost power. Seems to be a trail of faults back from here through Collooney and in to Sligo town.

Lightning has done a serious amount of damage to the ESB network across Sligo and Mayo. The ESB map is hopping on the app. To be fair that was loud tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Starting to rumble north of galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thunder lightning Galway City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Thunder lightning Galway City

Thought I was imagining it. Movie on so couldn't really hear.. Seen that flash a second ago though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Got a good dose of it out in the sticks near Tuam. Think it went right over us. A few forks in it too. Tripped the RCB.

Misread your post dah... Yes looks very like a long exposure.

This would imply that it was a triple strike .

https://twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1343303974213054467?s=20

Some very cold cloud tops coming in to the W, S/W, heard a rumble now here near Tralee, big hail shower just gone through.

5SsjKy5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

This would imply that it was a triple strike .

https://twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1343303974213054467?s=20

Yes a triple upward strike and most likely when the damage was done to the Telecom poles.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a few sparks on the Dingle peninsula.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like a few sparks on the Dingle peninsula.

Thunder heard and hail showers here near Tralee around 07.00.

Maybe a slight chance of a few strikes around the SW coast in the early morning. Maybe just only over water if they do occur.

anim_uaj3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Might be of interest to some on here, sent to me by a friend.

Hello all,

It's a new year, and the IMS zoominars are starting up again!

Next Thursday, 28th January, at our usual time of 19:00, we are delighted to have a speaker from Met Éireann, Paul Downes, tell his tales of chasing storms:

"A stormchasers guide to mother nature’s greatest laboratory: The what, how and why guide to stormchasing."

In 2003 Paul Downes, a native of Mullingar, followed his dream to chase supercell thunderstorms in the hopes of spotting one of mother nature’s most awe-inspiring weather phenomena, the tornado. Little did he know that this, once in a lifetime trip, would change his life. Hundreds of tornadoes later with a degree in meteorology from the University of Oklahoma Paul now works as an operational meteorologist with Met Eireann, however his passion for stormchasing has never waned

If you can, please register (for free!) on the Eventbrite page for this talk:

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/a-stormchasers-guide-to-mother-natures-greatest-laboratory-tickets-137458264369

The Zoom link is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86252272696?pwd=QVJSRzd3bFp5K1NtNFpXaVdJWXdKZz09

I attach a promotional image, do feel free to pass on to anyone who you think may be interested......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

Estofex going for a level 1 in parts of the South, could get Interesting later on.
    showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2021012906_202101272340_1_stormforecast.xml

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Thu 28 Jan 2021 06:00 to Fri 29 Jan 2021 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Wed 27 Jan 2021 23:40
    Forecaster: GATZEN

A level 1 was issued across the southern British Isles and north-western and central France for severe wind gusts and a few tornadoes.

SYNOPSIS / DISCUSSION

A large trough is located across eastern Europe that will lift during the period. In its wake, a strong jet stream extends from the northern Atlantic towards the Mediterranean. Two vort-maxima will cross western Europe and provide QG lift. At lower levels, a tongue of humid maritime air spreads into western Europe, with mixing ratios around 8 g/kg. Lift due to warm air advection will result in rather steep lapse rates and weak CAPE.

On Thursday, widespread showers are expected within the martime air mass. Two activity maxima are forecast in association with two vort-maxima, one crossing the British Islea into the Benelux countries in the afternoon and evening, another affecting large parts of the Bay of Biscay and France late in the period.

Chance of thunderstorms is highest in the northern parts , whereas only isolated lightning is expected in the south due to higher EL temperature. Showers and thunderstorms will be well-organized in a high-shear, low-CAPE environment, with about 15 to 20 m/s 0-1 km vertical wind shear. Bowing segments and low-topped mesocyclones are not ruled out. Main threat are severe wind gusts. However, due to low LCLs, a few tornadoes are not ruled out.

https://www.estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2021012906_202101272340_1_stormforecast.xml

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement