Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite things to BBQ!

• 12-07-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

So it's bbq season, what are your favourite veggie/vegan bbq ideas? I've a disposable bbq in the house for about a year that's finally gona get used tomorrow. I think I'm gona try a bacon tempeh recipe and switch out the tempeh for tofu since I prefer that, also saw a nice mexican inspired lime tofu recipe, veg skewers ofc, anything else interesting that you can think of? If ye have any pics throw them up, I'd love to see them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Veg skewers are awesome, So are those Linda McCartney Mozzarella Quarter pounders.
    Bean burgers are always a favourite too. Could try make your own for more fun.
    Corn on cob is tasty bbq'd. I'll try just about anything thrown on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The Linda McCartney Mozzarella quarter pounders are absolutely amazing. Makes me hungry just thinking about them.

But my favourite on the BBQ are cevapcici. They'd originally be made with mince, but I find they're fantastically easy to make with any kind of vegetarian sausage mix.
    Just follow the instructions on the package to prepare the mix, then add finely chopped onion, very finely chopped garlic (as much as you think you can get away with), 1-2 tbsp of paprika and a handful of chopped parsley and mix it all up.
    Might be a good idea to add a little salt, as the sausage mixes tend to be a bit bland. And if you like it spicy, add a little powdered chili.

Roll it into small sausages and bbq it - I guarantee deliciousness.

Goes fantastic on some pita bread, and drizzled with tsatsiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Cut an aubergine in half lengthwise, season & rub with chilli oil. Wrap in tin foil and place it into the coals to cook. When it's soft and mushy remove and scoop out the insides. Serve on warm pitta bread with hummus and minty yoghurt dressing. Yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I'm noy a vegetarian, but I love halloumi and sweet pepper skewers on the bbq!

Oh yeah, char grilled marinated halloumi skewers and cous cous salad... fabulous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Corn on the cob is gorgeous off the barbecue too.

We often have the following meal but do it on the griddle pan. But in the fine weather we do it on the barbecue as it is even tastier with the char grilled flavour

Slice aubergine, courgette, sweet peppers and make into skewers. Take whole long green peppers (you can get them in middle eastern and Turkish shops). Coat in oil and slowly cook on the barbecue until the courgette and aubergine skewers are soft and charred and the peppers are blistered. When every thing is nice and cooked serve in a big bowl. Then make the yoghurt sauce. Take thick Turkish yoghurt (or the eradinous Greek one from lidl will work too) add a clove of garlic, minced, and a tablespoon of olive oil and if you like you can also add mint. Mix well. Pour over the veggies. Serve with crusty bread or pitta bread and hummus. The mint in the sauce gives a lovely fresh taste. In winter we often mile wigs without the mint, or instead make a chilli tomato sauce to pour over instead. Either way, it's delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Little Ted wrote: »
    Cut an aubergine in half lengthwise, season & rub with chilli oil. Wrap in tin foil and place it into the coals to cook. When it's soft and mushy remove and scoop out the insides. Serve on warm pitta bread with hummus and minty yoghurt dressing. Yummy!

baba ganoush I guess? I tried to make it before (not on a bbq) and failed miserably :( It's not the same in an oven

Over the weekend I made some tofu steaks, froze and thawed some tofu and then left it in big blocks and sliced through the middle. Marinated some in bbq sauce and some in a lime sauce, was lovely, the bbq sauce was really nice and dead easy to make and the lime was very summery and refreshing.

BBQ sauce:

2 Tbsp agave syrup
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    a dash of cayenne

Lime:

juice of one lime
    olive oil
    garlic powder
    tobasco
    fresh coriander

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Grilled pineapple is just about my favourite food, I have it at every family barbecue with a couple of baked potatoes (:

Advertisement