Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Expert required

• 09-09-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

I have a client's Wordpress site which is behaving in unexpected ways... In some instances users information is not being updated correctly after the checkout process and in some instances if a user changes their billing info at the checkout it doesn't get saved back to their user account.

It is becoming extremely frustrating to troubleshoot.

I am looking for a Wordpress expert who would be experienced in troubleshooting these types of issues, and doing a full 'audit' of the site and hosting as we need to resolve this problem and make sure everything is fit for purpose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The WordPress Ireland Facebook group has 113 members so I am sure that you'd get a few interested people there (including myself).
    It's a closed group but I'm sure the admins would let you in so that you can post your "ad."

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

daymobrew wrote: »
    The WordPress Ireland Facebook group has 113 members so I am sure that you'd get a few interested people there (including myself).
    It's a closed group but I'm sure the admins would let you in so that you can post your "ad."

Thanks Damo, I'll head over there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Strange behaviour, what investigation have you done so far.

Have you checked the Guest settings, is it turned on? I'm only thinking to myself but if people go to the checkout section and they're not logged in and check out by inputting their details it's not going to update their account.

Dymo wrote: »
    Strange behaviour, what investigation have you done so far.

Have you checked the Guest settings, is it turned on? I'm only thinking to myself but if people go to the checkout section and they're not logged in and check out by inputting their details it's not going to update their account.

No, guest checkout is disabled, so people either have to log in or create a new account. If it is a new account, the data is consistently written correctly to the new users account. If it is an existing account, in *some* instances, and it seems to be specific to certain admin users, the date is not written back to the user account.

I have tested with different user's accounts and it works for some and not others. I can't find a common reason.

I can log in as myself and update my billing info at the checkout and it updates my user account. I can log is as another admin and update their billing info at checkout and it does not update them. So not a local computer issue.

I have created a staging site and disabled all plugins, with the exception of Woocommerce, Stripe for Woocommerce and I am using the Storefront theme, with Stripe in test mode. This makes no difference.

The site is behind a Succuri firewall, and I have altered my hosts file to bypass this and access the site directly and it makes no difference.

I am in the process of downloading the site and setting up Local by Flywheel to get it running on my machine to rule out the web server. I am having a few issues with getting it running properly and am waiting on a response form the support forum there.

That's probably it so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you don't get far with Flywheel you could try XAMPP. I use it on my Windows 7 box and I can source debug with Visual Studio Code via xdebug.

It sounds like you've found an admin user where the info is not updated. That gives you a target to hone in on. I would look through WooCommerce source to (try) find where updated data is being written. If you cannot step into the code you might be able to use add_action/add_filter to view the data passing through the function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

That's strange, firstly I'd have to determine is wordpress actually doing something wrong or is there something causing this.

Good to have a test site setup and those are probably the steps I would take also, except I'd use xampp ( my preference) just to rule out all server permissions issue, i.e. over writing a file,

But I think this is a Wordpress/Woo-Commerce issue.

What information are you trying to update, "Customer Billing Address" or "Customer Shipping Address"

Again thinking to my-self, there are "Wordpress User information" and "Woo-Commerce User information", if it's not updating it means something isn't being written to the database, if it isn't showing an error on screen turn on debug mode on the staging site and see if that output the error.

Next I would look the database and check is the admin account that works different than an admin that it doesn't update.

I presume at this stage you probably have Stackexchange exhausted! and I've found from experience if your error isn't on it it's probably down to some setting on the site.

Thanks to both of you for getting back to me.

I am just back from a meeting with the client so just to give a timeline here and a simplified version of the problem(s)...Client is a class/term based business with three terms per year and a large spike in payments at the start of each term.

This time last year the site was hacked. I put a security service in place (Succuri) via the hosting company (this was a paid service they used), and the site was scanned and cleaned and secured behind a firewall. And all was fine.

Approx Feb 2019, at the start of Term 3, there was a problem with payments, where in some instances orders were being duplicated, or extra items being added to a shopping cart. I couldn't get to the cause of the issue, so I rebuilt the site and the problem did not reoccur.

Now, we are having the start of a new year and term 1. Payments are fine, no issues there, but the user account information is being either not updated (if they update their billing information, their billing info in the user account does not update), or it does save, but some of the billing data gets saved to other user's accounts.

This is not happening to everyone, but we tested this morning with 6 admin accounts and all but mine failed to correctly update/save the information.

This also happens to some users, but not all.

I am trying to update the billing information, there is no shipping involved. But what I have noticed this morning, is that in a few instances, the first name and surname entered in the Billing information fields has updated the Wordpress first name and surname on someone else's account!!

I will continue with Flywheel for the moment as I am 90% of the way there with it. I will also set up a sub-domain on another hosting account I have and see if that makes a difference.

I am wondering if it could be to do with corrupted session data...

I can't go into a lot more detail online, but the client is happy to pay for an expert developer to come in and assist on fixing the issue, so if either of you feel this is something you can do, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Are any of the ones where the issue exists subscription payments? Or do they just go in and make one-off payments?

Axwell wrote: »
    Are any of the ones where the issue exists subscription payments? Or do they just go in and make one-off payments?

No subscription payments, all one-offs. We experimented with subscriptions a few years ago and it was more trouble than it was worth!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

curiousb wrote: »
    No subscription payments, all one-offs. We experimented with subscriptions a few years ago and it was more trouble than it was worth!

Yeah, I have come across issues (not exactly yours but a little similar) when there was subscription payments involved and issues with changing expired credit card data. Yours sounds like either session data like you said or perhaps there is a misalignment with user id/key field and the user attached to it. Have you checked to see if there is any consistency in the issue where it is updating the wrong user that it is the user maybe before or after the one it should each time?

• Advertisement

Are you using any sort of caching tool?

Yeah, I have come across issues (not exactly yours but a little similar) when there was subscription payments involved and issues with changing expired credit card data. Yours sounds like either session data like you said or perhaps there is a misalignment with user id/key field and the user attached to it. Have you checked to see if there is any consistency in the issue where it is updating the wrong user that it is the user maybe before or after the one it should each time?

Good point, but as far as we can tell the users are not above/below each other, but I need to check that out a bit further, thanks.
    Are you using any sort of caching tool?

No, caching is turned off on the site, and the hosting company have turned off most of the caching, and have assured me that the checkout page is definitely not cached.

user ID 277 was updated by the name of user ID 1141, so unfortunately not the case!

Advertisement