Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mollyb & ALC's Walrus

• 21-08-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host/s who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host/s judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by the wonder couple, me (Mollyb) and Mr Molly, otherwise known as AnLachaCorca. We'll both score songs individually and combine the scores to get a final running list.

Why are we doing this?
    Molly – I love finding new music but the last few years or so I’ve just been lazy and haven’t bothered going to listen to new things. Usually I’ll just listen to whatever music ALC puts on. I used to listen to music constantly when I finished college and started working. I remember the excitement of finding a new band and I would happily listen to the same album till my ears bled (case in point: Arcade Fire’s Funeral) and I miss that.

ALC – Sounds like fun. No other reason really.

What sort of music are we into?
    Molly – I hate saying everything but I’m pretty open minded. It might be easier to say what I don’t like. I’m not a fan of reggae, trad music, hard dance/trance/house type stuff, jazz, super heavy metal, or musical **** (I don’t want a 15 minute song that includes 10 minutes of the musicians just **** over how amazing their guitar playing is or an 8 minute drum solo [see also: jazz]). I love classical music and go to see the orchestra perform quite often (don’t try to make me explain how that doesn’t count as musical ****). Probably my favourite bands of all time are Muse, Foo Fighters, Elbow, The Beatles, Backstreet Boys (not even a little ashamed), Arcade Fire, and The Decemberists.

ALC - I’m into a lot of rock/alternative/indie - think the Beatles, Nirvana, REM and Arcade Fire. I’ll probably lean towards those kind of tunes, but I always have a soft spot for something totally off the wall. I’d love to hear some new stuff so I’ll probably score a decent song that I haven’t heard before higher than a banger that’s been top of the charts.

Categories:
    1. Song released before 1950 – Give us a proper old school song. Something classic that evokes pencil skirts and beehives and blue chevys and glamorous Hollywood.

2. Song from a genre you usually wouldn’t listen to – there’s probably one song you don’t want to love but can’t help yourself. For me there’s a few jazz tunes that I actually like

3. Song to fall asleep to – Something soothing and calm, to de-stress you and make you relax before bed.

4. Song to wake up to – something to get you out of bed and ready for the day.

5. Your Festival song – we’re heading to EP this year so what’s your song of choice to listen to whilst drinking a bag of cans in a field in the rain?

PM your choices (with a link to a video or Spotify) to me before Wednesday the 4th of September. I'll share them with ALC and we’ll spend about 2 weeks listening to the songs. We'd hope to have a reveal thread in mid September.

giphy.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'll be sending an entry myself. And off to EP too so that one will be listened to next weekend in your honour :)

In!

Although I have yet to find any song that manages to achieve what you're looking for in #4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Songs released before 1950? There were no beehives, in post war, or war-time or before the wars. Just big bands and big time composers and musicals and silly dances :D

The first british hit single didn't happen until 1952. That's a tough category. There was excellent ragtime and jazz though umm and maybe bluegrass :o)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Is pre 1950 confined to the 20th century and "popular music", or could we go back to Green Sleeves?

Not sure if I'll enter, so just more wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Pretzill wrote: »
    Songs released before 1950? There were no beehives, in post war, or war-time or before the wars. Just big bands and big time composers and musicals and silly dances :D

The first british hit single didn't happen until 1952. That's a tough category. There was excellent ragtime and jazz though umm and maybe bluegrass :o)
    Yup. Exactly. (beehives are old in my head)
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Is pre 1950 confined to the 20th century and "popular music", or could we go back to Green Sleeves?

Pre 1950 = anything after the big bang up to 1950. Go wild.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Will get an entry in for this today at some point if my poor ickle head can take trawling through a few songs.

Like the categories they're making me think already!

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yup. Exactly. (beehives are old in my head)

Pre 1950 = anything after the big bang up to 1950. Go wild.

Cool. It's just when you said evoking beehives, pencil skirts, beehives, Hollywood and blue Chevy's that would be hard to do pre 1950.

Cool. It's just when you said evoking beehives, pencil skirts, beehives, Hollywood and blue Chevy's that would be hard to do pre 1950.

Don't quote me on my pre-1950 American knowledge. Go with the category title, not my ramblings after it. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

And I'm in.

May God have mercy on you all with some of my selections :D

• Advertisement

One more question Molly re: Post big bang track - is it okay to use a newer recording - (my original is 1920's and is a bit squiffy on the ear)

Thanks.

One more question Molly re: Post big bang track - is it okay to use a newer recording - (my original is 1920's and is a bit squiffy on the ear)

Thanks.

Perfectly fine, yeah. You can include the old version too if you want? But I'll use the newer version in my considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

In
    Surprising how little room there is in this one for music I'd choose to share with people :D When you're plodding through those link, just remember you brought this on yourself!

In...tough categories, but I thought I better do it quick like ripping off a plaster :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116ef5304e824974857ab570c6443453c0446fafde&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All of my stuff to fall asleep to is either dance music or musical ****

Rikand wrote: »
    All of my stuff to fall asleep to is either dance music or musical ****

I do love some musical **** myself :D

Is that when you fold yourself in half and hum the sax break from Baker Street?
    Doo dooo doooo duh duh doo - de -dooooooooooo!

Banjo wrote: »

Yep. Preferably in private though. Gets awkward when people are watching :pac:

Only if they don't applaud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

In for this. And I'm gonna take my time with my picks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Entry in.

Banjo wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

quickbeam wrote: »

Choon. and i actually have a belter of a version that's from recent centuries. Will send to you post-comp

Finally have my pre 1950's tune and its a belter!

Submission on its way :D

7 Entries in already folks. We're in the final countdown for Electric Picnic so we'll be gearing up to listen to these when we're back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'll have mine in the next couple of days.

11 entries so far for this Walrus. Sign ups close today so this is fair warning for anyone thinking of entering!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

oh no!!

Midnight??

• Advertisement

Yeah I wont' be a Nazi about a cut off time tbh. If they're in before I get up tomorrow morning (around 7am) that's fine by me.

Advertisement