Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Absolute Drought conditions to end by Sunday, remaining warm, mostly dry

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Light rain in Dublin 3. Certainly a little more on the rain side than mere drizzle. The ground is drinking it in. Won’t relieve the drought but might pep up a few wilted plants for a day or two. I still think normal service will resume end of month with more notable rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

It's raining all morning in most areas. The heatwave is broke down already?

Can hardly say today drop has the drought over. Takes weeks. Last thing we need s another dry week. Lots rain needed to get things up and going again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Can hardly say today drop has the drought over. Takes weeks. Last thing we need s another dry week. Lots rain needed to get things up and going again

Looking dry till Thursday, even then looks to be the west to get it, there is broad agreement in the models that high pressure to build back in again from Friday.
    Time will tell.
    Personally I think it will be early August before we will see a major change in weather patterns

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

There has barely been 2-3mm in most places

Not sure where you are but we have had 15mm at least since 5pm yesterday evening floods on the roads here north Galway hate the sight of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    So there a little hope of a breakdown ðŸ˜ðŸ˜... what ur opinion on August

There's always hope my dude. The heavy showers or longer spells of rain from Wednesday to Saturday have been downgraded to around 5-20mm during the period over the country (the least amount in the south and east). Whilst it has been downgraded, at least it's still there. If the ECM clusters this morning were to verify, whilst it would be horribly humid, at least there'd be a good chance of several severe thunderstorms letting out a lot of rain in a short period of time.

Outlook on August keeps changing and changing. I think the month will stay warm but it will be a more unsettled and thundery month. I wouldn't be too surprised if it were to stay settled though given how the Summer has fared and what the UK Met Office Glosea5 model shows for August to October.
    It's raining all morning in most areas. The heatwave is broke down already?

Farmer2017 is referring to the drought situation. Heatwave and drought are two different things.
    Already?

Yes heatwave is gone "already" but Ultimate Seduction's comment was irrelevant to what Farmer2017 (and you) are referring to, the drought.

We shall see what the 12z runs have to say later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ZX7R wrote: »
    Looking dry till Thursday, even then looks to be the west to get it, there is broad agreement in the models that high pressure to build back in again from Friday.
    Time will tell.
    Personally I think it will be early August before we will see a major change in weather patterns

The rain could just reach the West/NW and head off to Scotland,as you say,the High looks to build and become dominant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Not sure where you are but we have had 15mm at least since 5pm yesterday evening floods on the roads here north Galway hate the sight of it

South tipp here,prob have even less the further east you head

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Roads barely wet here in intermittent very light drizzle, disappointing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Watching the hurling on TV at thurles and it looks to be raining there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Raining since midday north tipp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

South tipp too and it rained from 4am to 1pm without stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dry here now. With even some sun trying to break through. Still nothing registered in the station

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

I forgot how ****e rain was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

My favourite thing about the rain is how quiet it makes the place. I'm in a housing estate in Dublin 7 but out back I just hear the splashing on the trees, the birds chirping, and the rain running into the drains.

No BBQ parties.
    No kids playing on bouncy castles.
    No street drinkers.
    No dogs endlessly barking.

For a misanthrope like myself, this is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

NW and N could do fairly well out of this, E and SE very little.

Raining pretty much since yesterday early evening in Roscommon and Leitrim anyway, long and regular showers and some heavier stuff.

Heavy drizzle here in South Tipp. Lovely to hear the water running into the water butts. The rivers still flowing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Just here in enniskerry and its steady rain. I was talking to one of the locals here and they said its been raining on and off in enniskerry since 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

We've had 3.0mm here in Glasnevin in since this morning, 1mm of it in the last hour. The ground looks very wet. It's currently 18.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A bit of drizzle here in Enniscorthy.....aaand it's gone.Even what did dampen a few surfaces has evaporated. 21c currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MJohnston wrote: »
    My favourite thing about the rain is how quiet it makes the place. I'm in a housing estate in Dublin 7 but out back I just hear the splashing on the trees, the birds chirping, and the rain running into the drains.

No BBQ parties.
    No kids playing on bouncy castles.
    No street drinkers.
    No dogs endlessly barking.

For a misanthrope like myself, this is bliss.

Not often I learn a new word these days. This week's challenge will be to use it at least once in office banter. :pac:

The quiet is nice but there's something very pleasant about those warm summer evenings where it's 20 odd degrees at 8pm and you can open all the windows and listen to the goings on. Distinct seasons are nice for that reason because you get variety over the course of the year.

Slightly OT but was listening to Kilkenny v Limerick commentary in the car just now and only in Ireland would the conversation about the wet pitch making play difficult turn into a conversation about how the silage crop might be very good in September. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy rain in Galway now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note:It might be best to close this thread now so as to keep posts on the same topic together .

Please continue to use the Summer Discussion Thread, or the Drought / Low Rainfall Watch Thread or one of the more specific threads.

Thank you for your contributions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement