Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dealz

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Love dealz, do most of my junk food shopping there now.
    A quick example a 4 pack of frys turkish delight 1.50 and its 3.17 in Tesco.
    Cadburys mini rolls 10 pack 1.50 and it 3.00 in dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's a bit harsh to try and make out dealz/ poundland are the only ones that are less than clear on value for money. Many "bigger packs"/ multipacks in the mainstream supermarkets are more expensive than buying multiple smaller packs, with the clear intention of fooling the consumer who logically thinks bigger pack equals better value. For me, there's no difference between that practice and what Dealz is accused of. The only answer is to educate consumers to check!

I am not trying to make out that Dealz or Poundland, or any discount retailer, is a big dodgy with their pricing practises. The Dispatches documentary says the same. There is a lot of bargains to be had (and they are welcomed), and their own branded goods are more than good value, however the buyer must beware when they are buying mainstream brands, as they are not always as good value.

Taken from the documentary (emphasis and clarification added):
    Dispatches wanted to get to the bottom of how the company [kept raising profits, whilst offering bargains]. How does it keep on increasing its profits, when it has an 'inflation-busting style' that gives shoppers 'irresistible value', a statement it prints on posters in many of its shops?

Well, it is not inflation-busting in the strictest sense of the word. Many of its items have shrunk as the chief executive Jim McCarthy has admitted. He calls it 're-engineering'.

In recent years the shrinking has been quite severe. Back in 2007 shoppers would have got 10 packs of Quavers in a family bag for £1. This was reduced to seven packs last year, and shrunk further to five packs this year. Last year £1 got you 12 Kodak AA batteries; it is now 11. Toblerone, Cadbury chocolate fingers, Wotsit crisps - all have shrunk.

It also sells a number of popular items in non-standard sizes. For instance, a loaf of Warburton's sliced white bread for £1, which appears to be fantastic value until you realise it is a 600g loaf, rather than the 800g size, which has been the standard size for bread since the Victorian era. You can pick up two 800g Warburton loaves for £2 at Tesco this week.

Poundland point out that the size of the loaf is clearly printed on the packaging.

The company has various other canny marketing and packaging tricks to encourage shoppers to spend.

The most common of which is to shout very loudly on the packaging of goods that their customers are getting '50% extra free' or '60% extra free' or even '100% extra free'.

So, shoppers can pick up eight bars of two-finger Kit Kats for £1. This is sold with a large yellow banner around the multipack saying '5 plus 3 bars, 60% Extra free'. Asda is currently selling the same eight Kit Kats for £1, but without the '60% extra free' flash. And the supermarket describes them as 8 bars, not 5 plus 3.

Both are clearly labelled. Both are good value. But one is shouting about it, and the other isn't.

Yes, Dealz is a fantastic store, but do your homework before you go wild. :)

For those looking for the episode on Poundland (and other bargain retailers), you can watch it on the Channel 4 website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

People just need to be wary. Plenty of switzel & matlow products are common across the different discounter. In plenty of them normal bags are €1 (not dealz in this case).
    Then the bag with 40% free are €1.50. (These are 40% larger than the €1 bags)
    Making the €1 bags the better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

That's the episode of Dispatches. Its a bloody good watch too.

It is a good watch, but the programme on last night wasn't the Dispatches one.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Misleading by Dispatches to spin reactive competitor price reductions as unconnected and imply spoilers run were infact the normal price:
    Dispatches wrote:
    It also sells a number of popular items in non-standard sizes. For instance, a loaf of Warburton's sliced white bread for £1, which appears to be fantastic value until you realise it is a 600g loaf, rather than the 800g size, which has been the standard size for bread since the Victorian era. You can pick up two 800g Warburton loaves for £2 at Tesco this week.

But only until 31/3 after which it reverts to the standard £1.45 per 800g loaf

Dispatches wrote:
    So, shoppers can pick up eight bars of two-finger Kit Kats for £1. This is sold with a large yellow banner around the multipack saying '5 plus 3 bars, 60% Extra free'. Asda is currently selling the same eight Kit Kats for £1, but without the '60% extra free' flash. And the supermarket describes them as 8 bars, not 5 plus 3.

Both are clearly labelled. Both are good value. But one is shouting about it, and the other isn't.

Possibly because Asda have now upped the price to £1.59 and any "60% extra free" flash wouldn't have allowed them increase it.

Here, Dealz currently offer a Walkers 'Deep Ridged' 5 x 28g multipack for €1.49. Tesco have the same on offer at €2.00 until 8/4 when it should go back to €2.29.

It's a good sign that supermarkets are responsive enough to poundshops that they try to run spoiler promo's like never before - but it's a deceptive comparison against day-to-day prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Warburton's sliced white bread for £1, which appears to be fantastic value until you realise it is a 600g loaf, rather than the 800g size, which has been the standard size for bread since the Victorian era. You can pick up two 800g Warburton loaves for £2 at Tesco this week.
    So you have to buy 1600g of bread rather than 600g. I value the smaller size higher per gram as I would not eat 1.6kg of bread anytime soon.

Instead of comparing 600g to 1600g, the fairer comparison is to the next nearest size. Which is 80c for various Warburton brand 400g loaves in tesco, which is £1.20 per 600g.

rubadub wrote: »
    So you have to buy 1600g of bread rather than 600g. I value the smaller size higher per gram as I would not eat 1.6kg of bread anytime soon.

Instead of comparing 600g to 1600g, the fairer comparison is to the next nearest size. Which is 80c for various Warburton brand 400g loaves in tesco, which is £1.20 per 600g.

I agree with I would get a loaf maybe every 4-5 days. Don't eat bread every day. I don't need two loafs, I only have an ice-box. Mostly use dealz myself for a few treats before heading to the cinema. Some energy drinks at the weekend if we are drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

It is a good watch, but the programme on last night wasn't the Dispatches one.

Secrets of the High Street

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3129814/

jeffk wrote: »
    Secrets of the High Street

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3129814/

[HTML]Budget
    £1,500 (estimated)[/HTML]

Time for a crowd fund I smell a documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

If you go to college, dealz is your best friend! Was like a small kid in big sweet shop the first time i walked in there! Great value! Cheap and cheerful! Lol

• Advertisement

Slighty off topic. Who is cheaper in this case Poundland or Asda?
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/25/thats-not-asda-price-shopper-charged-450-for-loaf-of-bread-4678396/?ITO=facebook

Wonder if they have a double the difference policy like Tesco. Can see them fighting it pretty hard in this case if they did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Whitworths Sugar 1.2kg €1.00 - nearest is TescoValue Sugar 1kg for €1.19

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco regular caster sugar is 1.09 per kilo in most cases this can be used instead of granulated, often it is better. Usually caster sugar costs more as there is more processing. 500g of the same style tesco caster sugar is 98cent

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252869148

People in another thread reckoned this was to match aldi and/or lidls caster sugar price. Tesco usually only have a small section of this caster sugar so it goes unnoticed, people just presume the "value" stuff will be cheapest.

I expect the "value" sugar is the exact same as the regular granulated anyway. The cheap tesco caster is not advertised in anyway, like lots of the best tesco bargains.

I saw 2kg bags of cooking salt for 1.49 in dealz

I don't buy sugar, therefore did know that rubadub
    The Dealz offer is still cheaper though :)

The Dealz offer is still cheaper though :)
    indeed, I posted about it in the homebrew wine & beer forum just now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Are you sure? I'm 99% certain the Dealz sugar is €1.19? Or is it a special promotion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Are you sure? I'm 99% certain the Dealz sugar is €1.19? Or is it a special promotion?

They have offer rit now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

They cut the price from €1.19?

EDIT: found it. Does not say if this is a 'permanent' cut or just a promotion though.

http://www.dealz.ie/food-and-drink/grocery/essential-shopping/whitworths-white-sugar-1-2kg

Jeez! I thought you guys liked me..
    owVKXzIl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought some Reese's Pieces today, holy fúck now I know why they have been mentioned in every US sitcom or cartoon show ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

The peanut butter M&M's are the reason my jeans no longer fit me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    The peanut butter M&M's are the reason my jeans no longer fit me :D

I am a diabetic so the sugar is bad enough without the added high salt content, still I only gonna live once. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I am a diabetic so the sugar is bad enough without the added high salt content, still I only gonna live once. :D
    And maybe not for much longer either......

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Don't worry, as always - Dealz has your back:

30391lt.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco regular caster sugar is 1.09 per kilo in most cases this can be used instead of granulated, often it is better. Usually caster sugar costs more as there is more processing. 500g of the same style tesco caster sugar is 98cent

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252869148

People in another thread reckoned this was to match aldi and/or lidls caster sugar price.
    Except the Lidl sugar is FairTrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Except the Lidl sugar is FairTrade
    How much of it?

Mycycle sunglasses have a picture of an adult male wearing sunglasses on the packaging..
    Yet they are ridiculously small. Mine snapped at the front due to pressure and yes I did try them on before purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Manufacturers and wholesalers have been doing this for years, particularly in the area of confectionery and ice cream. Bars of chocolate, packets of biscuits, crisps etc. are all smaller in size than what they used to be.

Indeed... Notice how the YORKIE bars used to have Y O R K I E on the individual squares? They don't do that anymore since you now only get 5 of them :) Very sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Indeed... Notice how the YORKIE bars used to have Y O R K I E on the individual squares? They don't do that anymore since you now only get 5 of them :) Very sneaky.

Ray D'Arcy show anyone?

• Advertisement

Today's Sun have a €3 coupon. I assume the minimum spend is €18 - could someone confirm this?

Advertisement