Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'04 Season::Bring it on!

• 29-12-2003 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

So whats on your wish list - kit/places/training?

For me the kit is as follows:
    7ltr stage with stage kit & reg (probably poseidon)
    Puker reel - custom divers 100m - probably about 100 yoyo alone!
    Twinset valve protector.
    Total for eqipment - about 700 of your earth euro.

Training:
    Technical diver and maybe trimix if i play my cards right with me monies. SAWEET!!

Places:
    Well donegal will be on the list for a return visit. Must do my research on what wreck i want to do. Maybe a U Boat would be sweet.
    Baltimore is on the list, nordic you better be keeping a weekend open.
    I hear good things about that place in Clare - can't remember the name - answers on a self adressed envelope.
    Also if i am REALLY good with the saving of monies the red sea could be sweet. Either liveaboard or tech training(trimix).

So since santa didn't bring it, what are you going to get/do/go??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Well last year I bought:

Buddy Commando TD
    Apeks ATX40
    UK D4R
    Mares Avanti Quattros
    12L tank

so going to have to take it a bit easier this year.
    I have all the essentials now but wouldn't mind looking at a shot weight belt. They seem to be ~100 including the belt and shot but not really an essential so might wait.

A pony bottle + reg is something I might look at but will probably have to wait until next year.

The one thing I am seriously considering is a digital camera and housing. I can get these for around 600 euro or so which I don't mind as I'd have a decent digital camera that I'd use as well. When you start looking at an external strobe and wide angle lens etc the price starts to go up. These will probably cost the best part of a grand between them so will have to wait until later on in the year assuming the camera and the housing work out ok.

As for diving itself, I definitely aim to dive the U-260 again. One of my best ever dives was on it this year.
    I also hope to visit the Red Sea for the first time, maybe in October or so if I can get a few friends together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Well last season was a completely different kettle of fish, one which i don't think i want to talk about. Ohhh so much money.

Between dive holidays and dive gear and training i'd write off 5k, maybe 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Peace
    [BI hear good things about that place in Clare - can't remember the name - answers on a self adressed envelope.[/B]

Killkee?

Myself - Looking forward to some reef diving in the Florida Keys in early April. Still interested in the Liveaboard Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

getting myself retrained to dive (scuba review) back at flagship scuba in dublin
    havent dived in nearly 10 months now and im going insane im like a fish outta water!!

thats the overall plan for 2004, get myself re-trained then go for my rescue diver course

i'll worry about equipment next year

Yes, get the training in and you'll be the better diver on the other end.

A good plan stan.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveg
    Kilkee? Still interested in the Liveaboard Peace.

Yeah kilkee is the one, cheers dave. I'm still interested in the liveaboard myself but its contingent on me gettin a job pretty soon, otherwise the money just won't be there.

I'll keep you guys informed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Peace, why Twinset valve protector ?

For carrying and protection really. I found myself bumping the valves when we were doing a bit of wreck penetration in scap flow and i didn't like it really. There's a lot of stuff back there that i don't want scraping off the sharp end of a wreck.

Also at the moment there is a tendency to move the rig by grabbing the manifold for leverage, however that also is a bad idea. Putting the protector on will take that away as its a lot easier to move the rig about when you've got something substantial to grab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dot.Bomb

Why is so expensive to do your PADI licence? Or is it just another example of Rip Off Ireland?

Yes its really annoying when you have your tanks filled and the staff grab the manifoil, heard that sombody also cut their hoses when they where penetrating..

But some also say:

Just a hazard. I have never been stupid enough to buy them. How hard are you going to hit your valves. Maybe you should look at your buoyancy instead if you think it is a problem.

Peace , have you heard about Dublin Bay Diving ? Training any good there ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by NordicDiver
    Yes its really annoying when you have your tanks filled and the staff grab the manifoil, heard that sombody also cut their hoses when they where penetrating..

Yup, especially loading and unloading boats.....it have to always make sure i'm unloading my own rig otherwise people who usually dive with single tanks just manhandle it around by the manifold
    But some also say:

Just a hazard. I have never been stupid enough to buy them. How hard are you going to hit your valves.
    iIts not how hard the impact is its the craping and hitting them over a period of time. I want my gerar is excellent condition, i paid a lot of money for it and i don't wan to be hitting off wrecks.
    Maybe you should look at your buoyancy instead if you think it is a problem.
    Its not my bouyancy thats the problem, its the size of my rig going through tight holes. If i was floating up and down inside the wreck then i might agree but i'm not. If someone told me to take a look at my bouyancy i'd probably tell them they were a muppet and to go bother somone else.
    Peace , have you heard about Dublin Bay Diving ? Training any good there ?

No i've never heard of them, but the diving in dublin isn't great, its been dicussed in previous threads. Is that the clubs full name?

Its not a diving club www.dublinbaydiving.com
    and a guy called Jack Purcell, are thinking on taking a course or two with him.

Nordic,

Good find there. I though i knew all the technical diving trainers in ireland but this one is on my door step and i had no clue.

The list of training on their site on metions some stuff about Advanced Nitrox and the Deco procedures course.

Its a pity they don't mention anything about trimix as that would be very handy.

What training are you thinking about nordic?

I got this mail from them:

Jan,for TDI trimix you will need Deco Procedures, for
    IANTD check their course requirements.

I have to check up with firstage when they run trimix or up in north dv diving.
    But my aim is to take the trimix this year, since am booked for a trimix trip in august.

I got this mail from them:

Jan,for TDI trimix you will need Deco Procedures, for
    IANTD check their course requirements.

I have to check up with firstage when they run trimix or up in north dv diving.
    But my aim is to take the trimix this year, since am booked for a trimix trip in august.

I'm almost sure that firststage diving don't provide trimix training. You have to go to Tim Doyle for that. He's all the way down in bantry bay and thats a long trip from dublin i can tell you.
    I did my Advanced Nitrox with him and he's a seriously no bull**** intructor but a sound guy at the same time. If you screw up on a skill expect to hear about it....infront of everyone. I loved that course! The bollockings that were handed out were great....especially when you're not getting it :ninja:

What trip are you going on nordic.....sounds cool already..?

www.immersed.com/Articles/narvik__norway.htm

Going here, its up north in Norway.

Interestingly, many "sneak dives," complete with suiting up in the woods, are conducted in Narvik. It's not unusual to do a sneak dive and then encounter sneak divers from another group during the dive!

lol, are you going to be sneaking around waiting for the coast to be clear and then jump in?

Didn't this area get a mention in divernet recently.. Although it might be completely different area....sounds like the same kinda diving though. Article.

Me and smygol are sniking around upp north in the artic circle and jumping in and sniking around the wrecks along uk divers,

The article on diver net are from a DIFFERENT country, SWEDEN I am insulted !!

:eek:

The article on diver net are from a DIFFERENT country, SWEDEN I am insulted !!

PFFFFTTT, well ofcourse i knew that.... but ehhh i forgot to mention it in my previous post and all....

Carry on. :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭dublinbay

Off to Plymouth for Module 1 and collecting Inspiration on March 28. Hope to take Trimix Instructor course August/Sept.
    Maybe 2 new ali stage tanks and possible drysuit.........+ lots of diving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

2004, well lets see, I could come up with a list of great things to do (it would probalby be very similar to Peace's list so I won't bother typing it up again) but there is also the list with what i can afford. Should kick off the season as is traditional now with a dive on Paddy's weekend maybe.
    Originally posted by dublinbay
    Off to Plymouth for Module 1 and collecting Inspiration on March 28. Hope to take Trimix Instructor course August/Sept.
    Maybe 2 new ali stage tanks and possible drysuit.........+ lots of diving.
    Now that's where I plan to be at some stage (no pun intended :dunno: ). Yep rebreather. Have to get the trimix done first though and then maybe the lotto. Dublinbay, when you mentioned the drysuit, I assume you were talking about getting a new drysuit to replace your current one and not getting you're first one. I'm getting cold just thinking about the amount of time you'd have to spend in the water to get those certs and 500+ dives........in a wetsuit.......in Ireland :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭dublinbay

Yes, a second suit. As a back up not a replacement. My present suit is DUI CLX 450, virtually bomb proof but for the seals. So if the wallet allows.............
    :D

Peace wrote:
    So whats on your wish list - kit/places/training?

For me the kit is as follows:
    7ltr stage with stage kit & reg (probably poseidon)
    Puker reel - custom divers 100m - probably about 100 yoyo alone!
    Twinset valve protector.
    Total for eqipment - about 700 of your earth euro.

Well, on the gear side if things, i got a very nice reel and i got the 7ltr ALU stage (what a dream to dive with). Manifold prtector - didn't bother me arse :).
    Peace wrote:
    Training:
    Technical diver and maybe trimix if i play my cards right with me monies. SAWEET!!

On the training side of the coin trimix didn't get done. I did however get the nitrox blending cert done.

Peace wrote:
    Also if i am REALLY good with the saving of monies the red sea could be sweet. Either liveaboard or tech training(trimix).

No liveaboard either.
    Peace wrote:
    Places:
    Well donegal will be on the list for a return visit. Must do my research on what wreck i want to do. Maybe a U Boat would be sweet.

Plenty of diving done in donegal though. Dived a uboat and the cartaginian one weekend. Had another couple of weekend blown ot due to weather. But also got in the U260.

A good dive season, not so much quantity but excellent levels of quality.

Considering theres about 20hours lieft int he '04 season... how'd you all do?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Got a manifolded twinset as well as a wing/bp. Have a 7L stage that I haven't dived with yet. Think it was sometime this year that I picked up my second ATX40 as well.

Training wise, I did the PADI divemaster and CMAS *** and am in the middle of the Mon * course. Did the IANTD advanced nitrox course as well in September which was excellent.

Next year I hope to do a blending course as well as the technical nitrox course. Trimix is probably not gonna happen this year though.

Got 2 weeks diving in the canaries as well as the Laurentic and the U260 and made it to the dive show in Birmingham.

Next year I've a week planned in Scapa but hope to finally get to the red sea.

On the shopping list is a new undersuit (probably weezle extreme), a reel, a stage reg and possibly a new torch in time.

Meant to get diving today but was out on the piss last night instead ;)

Advertisement