Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

I'm on If I Did It - OJ Simpsons confession book, i'm not into it much though, so might just skip it. would like any recommendations for true crime if anyone has any?
    I like Paul Williams books; journalist for the Sunday World who wrote "The General" (Martin Cahill) amongst others. Great books about Irish gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I am currently reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan... I really love the Wheel of Time :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Likewise, I bought the first 4 books after watching Game Of Thrones. Can't wait to start A Storm Of Swords as the story is getting better & better

I finished A Dance With Dragons there a while back. Absolutely brilliant series so far and I know the wait for the next book is going to kill me. Would highly recommend A Song of Ice and Fire series to anyone, you don't necessarily have to be a fantasy fan, IMO there's something in it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov, the fifth book in the Foundation series. Almost finished it and though I've enjoyed it, it's not as good as Foundation's Edge, the previous book in the series. and my favourite.

It's a series I'd heartily recommend to anyone into their serious sci-fi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

py2006 wrote: »
    Yep, his older books are sheer brilliance! Some of the new stuff is a bit dull! But he has an incredible command of the English language!

Cujo was the first King book I ever read, a loooong time ago now, at least *mumble* years :pac: Absolutely terrifying, I couldn't look my dog in the eye for weeks after :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Bob Dylan's autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I'm reading two! John Grisham - The Testament and Erland Loe - Naive.Super. It's taking a while to get into the Loe one but I'll get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Richard Adams Watership Down-set in England, about a small group of rabbits as they search for a new home.

I know it is kind of a kids book, but it is one of the books Vanessa Carlton has cited as the inspiration behind her writing for her new album Rabbits on The Run ( now out) ;) , the other book being Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, so will read that after. Actually really enjoying Watership Down, can see why she calls it her bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

73Cat wrote: »
    Absolutely love Stephen King, have been reading his books for over 20 years now, and own all of them. Have you read the Dark Tower series, OP?
    At the moment am reading some easy on the brain chick lit, This Charming Man, Marian Keyes.

The Dark Tower are the only books I can't seem to touch by King. I started the first one but couldn't get into it!

I read Pet Semetary when I was about in my early teens and never turned back!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭dirtypanties

Home by Bill Bryson.

Good lightweight read.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,120 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Enjoyable enough sci-fi novel from the creator of Tarzan, originally published in 1912. It's not exactly high art but its not a bad read. The film version is coming out next year and it's going to be just called John Carter I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Fear and loathing in las vegas by Hunter S Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

The Dice Man - George Cockroft / Luke Rhinehart

A New York psychiatrist is bored with his life and so turns all of his decisions over to chance in the form of dice, thereby constantly reinventing his 'self'. Only a quarter way through but an interesting concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

The Dark Tower are the only books I can't seem to touch by King. I started the first one but couldn't get into it!

I read Pet Semetary when I was about in my early teens and never turned back!

The Dark Tower does take a bit of effort, and the ending was a bit unexpected, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. The only book I had to give up on was Dreamcatcher, got about 300 odd pages in, and couldn't take it anymore. The first book of his I read was Misery, got it as a gift for Christmas '87. Hooked ever since. His short story collections are brilliant too. One story totally freaked the head off me. Can't remember the name of it but the movie "Sometimes They come Back", was based on it. It's about a guy who picks up a hitchhiker. I'll say no more, in case you haven't read it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dikdaan

Shantaram - long read, but excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galwayash

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsoon

The trilogy is amazing. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

73Cat wrote: »
    The Dark Tower does take a bit of effort, and the ending was a bit unexpected, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. The only book I had to give up on was Dreamcatcher, got about 300 odd pages in, and couldn't take it anymore. The first book of his I read was Misery, got it as a gift for Christmas '87. Hooked ever since. His short story collections are brilliant too. One story totally freaked the head off me. Can't remember the name of it but the movie "Sometimes They come Back", was based on it. It's about a guy who picks up a hitchhiker. I'll say no more, in case you haven't read it;)

ACtually, he is probably at his best with his short stories!! He is a huge advocate of the craft and tries to promote it! He believes its a dying art!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chipped Nails

Dick Francis - Under Orders, just a few chapters in and I wouldn't recommend it. Its one of those books that seems like the word count was padded out just to make it paper back size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Rory Gallagher biography, written by Jean-Noel Coghe. Just a few chapters left, coming up to the part where he dies :(

I'm off on holidays next week, where I will attempt to read Ulysses (or at least just start it!)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Currently reading Sourcery by Terry Pratchett. Reading a few of his before continuing a Song of Fire and Ice with "Dance of Dragons"

Also a big Stephan King fan :) First Author I really got into.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I started The Burning by Jane Casey yesterday. The author is from Dublin and she writes crime. She's released three books so far and this is her second book. I loved the first one and so far I'm liking the second. I'm already 200 pages into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I'm reading two, the first in Karen Miller's Godspeakers trilogy called Empress, & One Day because I saw an ad for the film & I thought it looked interesting but I prefer the book to the film pretty much every time (abiding memories of the mess that was The Bone Collector have ruined my faith in Hollywood's adapting skills...:()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Hyperion.

and yes I would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Lean On Pete by Willy Vlautin. Seems like a very talented guy, not only a highly acclaimed writer, but in a (reasonably) well-known band too.

And it's a pretty good read, alright. So, yeah, I'd recommend it (but maybe don't buy into all the hype that surrounded it with Eileen Battersby's swooning review).

I've just finished it, so will be reading some short stories tonight (more than likely from that Granta American Short Fiction or Somerset Maugham) before I decide what I'm reading tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

"Catch Me if You Can" by Frank Abagnale, it could come in awfully handy if I can build a time machine, go back to the sixties and become a con artist. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Just finished, Game of Thrones last week, didn't watch the series until the weekend, ordered the other 4 off Amazon and waiting. Long books but cracking story so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I'm on If I Did It - OJ Simpsons confession book, i'm not into it much though, so might just skip it. would like any recommendations for true crime if anyone has any?

Papillon is supposed to be amazing and I've been meaning to read it for ages (which gives me an idea as to what to read next). Not sure how 'true' it is, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dune by Frank Herbert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

g'em wrote: »
    Yep, his older books are sheer brilliance! Some of the new stuff is a bit dull! But he has an incredible command of the English language!

Cujo was the first King book I ever read, a loooong time ago now, at least *mumble* years :pac: Absolutely terrifying, I couldn't look my dog in the eye for weeks after :o

My childhood reading was defined by Salems Lot, Christine. and Cujo. But the best of all was 'It'. A marathon at 1000 odd pages, but just the most brilliant and imaginative story I have ever read. Bar none. And I've reaf a lot! In fact, I think I am going to get onto Amazon and give it another go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.

Only started it today, but its pretty good so far.

I read that just last week, compelling stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement