Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway delivery driver job

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Think it through. The more you drive, the higher the risk of a claim. Why should people who just use their cars for domestic stuff pay a share of the costs of your business operation?

That's a bit unfair, you can't be expected to think it through before starting a thread in after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Look, being a takeaway driver is a nixer. Sure some takeaways go official and through the books. Vast vast majority don't and I mean nearly them all.
    You don't pay tax. It's off the books. Whatever expression you wanna use.
    Takeaways only care if you got a car and are reliable (reliable meaning if you say you'll work Tuesday then you work Tuesday, not taking an hour to go down the road, cutting them short, common sense stuff)

So man if you wanna work as a takeaway driver then go for it. Would some takeaways care if you got an L plate? Some would. Some wouldn't.
    Better question is should you even tell them? Take off the L sticker. Yeah yeah, if the guards stop you. This and that. You won't be the only L driver going around with his or her sticker off. Sorry about that guard. I'll get one tomorrow.

You don't put down nixers on your CV and most guards aren't gonna come down on some kid trying to make some extra money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Genuinely embarrassed for you.

Why? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

tuxy wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious, do you think what a guard has observed would be dismissed in court over your word. All that food with different recipes and bags for keeping it warm was for yourself? Your employer won't lie to the guards about you working either and will just say he was unaware that you did not take out the correct insurance.

If he is an employer he is responsible for ensuring that his employee has correct insurance.
    If the driver is reliant on tips only then he does not have an employer, he is self employed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Abby Ambitious Zinger

Look, being a takeaway driver is a nixer. Sure some takeaways go official and through the books. Vast vast majority don't and I mean nearly them all.
    You don't pay tax. It's off the books. Whatever expression you wanna use.
    Takeaways only care if you got a car and are reliable (reliable meaning if you say you'll work Tuesday then you work Tuesday, not taking an hour to go down the road, cutting them short, common sense stuff)

So man if you wanna work as a takeaway driver then go for it. Would some takeaways care if you got an L plate? Some would. Some wouldn't.
    Better question is should you even tell them? Take off the L sticker. Yeah yeah, if the guards stop you. This and that. You won't be the only L driver going around with his or her sticker off. Sorry about that guard. I'll get one tomorrow.

You don't put down nixers on your CV and most guards aren't gonna come down on some kid trying to make some extra money.

This.

Done deliveries myself for a few years and my son done them right through college.

No one give's a crap if you're on an N plate doing deliveries (including An Garda). A Garda will never ask if you've got commercial insurance, neither will the shop and if you're in an accident and you tell your insurance company you were nixxering then you're an idiot because there's no other way they'll find out.

If the shop wants to put you on the books (it happens, but rarely) go to another shop.

If you're stuck for a few bob it can be really good money on the weekends but expect quiet mid week nights. You'll get paid per delivery plus your tips, keep away from the likes of Four Star Pizza, McDonalds etc and stick with your local Chinese or chippers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No one give's a crap if you're on an N plate doing deliveries (including An Garda). A Garda will never ask if you've got commercial insurance

That's fairly dangerous advice to be giving.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/348140/limerick-driver-who-was-not-insured-for-pizza-delivery-avoids-ban.html

if you're in an accident and you tell your insurance company you were nixxering then you're an idiot because there's no other way they'll find out.
    I guess they just might find out if they see a pile of pizza boxes on the front seat. Or they might notice the branded jacket that you're wearing. Or they might notice that you've been parking illegally outside the takeaway frequently. If you think Gardai won't find out what you're up to, you're definitely the idiot.

If you're going to drive for a living, you need commercial insurance. Don't be sponging off the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BDI wrote: »
    What are you in college for?

Probably to learn stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Abby Ambitious Zinger

That's fairly dangerous advice to be giving.

From your posts in the cycling forum, youtube and on cycling threads here in AH if there's one person in the world I can't devote my life to debating anything with is you.

But I'll just answer this, it wasn't advice I was passing on my experience.

Answer me if you wish but I don't have the time you have to endlessly discuss the smallest most pedantic things which you have the time to do.

OP, if you're stuck for a few bob its not the worst way in the world to make money, thats the short answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

No one give's a crap if you're on an N plate doing deliveries (including An Garda). A Garda will never ask if you've got commercial insurance, neither will the shop and if you're in an accident and you tell your insurance company you were nixxering then you're an idiot because there's no other way they'll find out.

On more than one occasion, the Garda Traffic Twitter account has posted photos of cars confiscated from food delivery drivers who didn't have commercial insurance. I'm sure it's very rare, but you could be unlucky and meet the Garda who does give a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

BDI wrote: »
    What are you in college for?
    The toilets dont clean themselves

• Advertisement

From your posts in the cycling forum, youtube and on cycling threads here in AH if there's one person in the world I can't devote my life to debating anything with is you.

Well boo hoo hoo, how will I manage to sleep tonight?
    OP, if you're stuck for a few bob its not the worst way in the world to make money, thats the short answer.

The slightly longer answer is that, if you do deliveries without commercial insurance, you are driving without insurance.

Commercial insurance may be unavailable or very, very expensive for a novice driver.

If you're caught driving without insurance, as well as the consequences in Court, you may find it very difficult to get insurance cover for anything in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Well if you drive for dominos, you will be insured by their insurance while delivering. But your car has to be up to date with your own insurance, tax and nct. You will get something like payslip at the end of the shift and it will be your responsibility to declare it to revenue, but nobody does that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you crash your car quickly scoff the pizza and throw the bag in the bin. You don't want to be hungry while the guards are questioning you and going through the post accident rigmarole. It will be stressful enough without having to worry about when you're going to eat.

I suppose there is some goody two shoes here going to say he'll get a criminal conviction for stealing a pizza as well as driving uninsured if he does that.

If you crash your car quickly scoff the pizza and throw the bag in the bin. You don't want to be hungry while the guards are questioning you and going through the post accident rigmarole. It will be stressful enough without having to worry about when you're going to eat.

I suppose there is some goody two shoes here going to say he'll get a criminal conviction for stealing a pizza as well as driving uninsured if he does that.
    Should he also eat the warming bag and branded jacket?

Should he also eat the warming bag and branded jacket?

bag goes in the nearest bin. the jacket wouldn't cause too much bother anyone could have one of those lying in the car

bag goes in the nearest bin. the jacket wouldn't cause too much bother anyone could have one of those lying in the car
    Yes, it's always good to know that there will be a bin handy when you crash your car. The Gardai will undoubtedly never see through a story as clever as 'Ah I just had that jacket lying in the car'. It's just so absolutely foolproof.

Rock on so.

Yes, it's always good to know that there will be a bin handy when you crash your car. The Gardai will undoubtedly never see through a story as clever as 'Ah I just had that jacket lying in the car'. It's just so absolutely foolproof.

Rock on so.

I have a branded jacket belonging to some crowd in my car. Doesnt mean i work for them or am a delivery driver.

I have a branded jacket belonging to some crowd in my car. Doesnt mean i work for them or am a delivery driver.
    You are clearly way, way smarter than the entire Garda force. There's no way they could possible get anything on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Joker2019 wrote:
    Seems ridiculous that you need special insurance why can't you just drive with regular insurance seems like a really stupid law if you ask me.

Why would delivery drivers be treated differently to anyone else that drives for a living? If you drive commercially then you require commercial insurance. Believe it or not even people minding one or two children for extra cash need "nanny" vehicle insurance

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Why would delivery drivers be treated differently to anyone else that drives for a living? If you drive commercially then you require commercial insurance. Believe it or not even people minding one or two children for extra cash need "nanny" vehicle insurance

Because they work for very low pay sometimes less than minimum wage since it's off the book. So some Garda may take pity on them but I wouldn't want to be reliant on only encountering that type of Garda. And of course that's only if you are stopped, things would have to be done by the book in the case of an accident.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote:
    Because they work for very low pay sometimes less than minimum wage since it's off the book. So some Garda may take pity on them but I wouldn't want to be reliant on only encountering that type of Garda. And of course that's only if you are stopped, things would have to be done by the book in the case of an accident.

Not in Dublin they don't. Reasonable basic plus brilliant tips. Just about every takeaway in Dublin has a waiting list of people wanting to become delivery drivers.

Domino's also pay for the car insurance as well as wages.

Not in Dublin they don't. Reasonable basic plus brilliant tips. Just about every takeaway in Dublin has a waiting list of people wanting to become delivery drivers.

Domino's also pay for the car insurance as well as wages.

Good move by Domino's, has it encouraged other chains to do the same?

tuxy wrote:
    Good move by Domino's, has it encouraged other chains to do the same?

I don't know the answer to this. Camile pay car insurance asaik

I don't know the answer to this. Camile pay car insurance asaik

How does this work? Does the company pay the driver to cover the cost of increasing their insurance? Or do they insure all delivery vehicles for delivery work themselves?

How does this work? Does the company pay the driver to cover the cost of increasing their insurance? Or do they insure all delivery vehicles for delivery work themselves?

I don't know the details. Camile & domino's provide uniforms and insurance is all I know.

My daughter is a nanny. Her employer pays the extra 200 euros on her regular insurance to make it nanny insurance. I assume that domino's & camile do the same & pay the ex rather than the whole insurance.

Hard to say. For a large company it might work better for them to cover all drivers 3rd party on the companies policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I was driving for dominos 10 years ago, you must have your own insurance, tax and nct up to date and they just took 10 cents off every delivery charge. Delivery was €2.50 so after insurance you get €2.40.
    Pretty sure the rates changed since then.

tuxy wrote: »
    Hard to say. For a large company it might work better for them to cover all drivers 3rd party on the companies policy.
    Would that not create a legal quagmire around the insurance disc? Would the driver have to change disc depending on whether they are driving for business or pleasure?

Would that not create a legal quagmire around the insurance disc? Would the driver have to change disc depending on whether they are driving for business or pleasure?

With the system Mike3549 describes where money is taken off each delivery to pay for insurance, which insurance company does this go to? Some companies would be unwilling to take on young drivers for work cover so I assume it all goes to the same company and they are driving with work insurance but displaying a private insurance disk so this covers what the law demands.
    The fact that they also have private insurance would reduce the risk for the company as it shows that another company is willing to take them on for private insurance so in theory they are probably not high risk.
    If anyone knows how it works please let us know

• Advertisement
Advertisement