Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nutrition 101

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Don't start insulting posters when you haven't posted a single bit of evidence for your meat only diet.
    +1. While I personally agree with him re soy and to a lesser extent pasta and the like, meat only diets are all very well if you're looking at a few hunter gatherer types. Inuit for example. yes they have an almost 100% protein diet, but and it's a big but, they're not living on steak and eggs. They have a highly varied diet of natural, raw animal foods, which covers their needs nicely. Whale and seal blubber as an example has really good balance of omega 3/6 and they eat every bit of the fish they catch inc the eyes(full of Vit c), but they also have massive livers as an adaptation to said diet.

The other problem with diets of this nature is the idea that as a species we stopped evolving 20,000 years ago. We didnt. We've gotten less robust, with smaller teeth and skulls and the majority of changes in the DNA have been dietary ones. Go back 15,000 yrs and the vast majority of people would have been coeliacs with no tolerance to gluten. They would have been lactose intolerant too. Even today modern populations differ in adaptations. Many Indians are lactose intolerant. Many Asians can't break down alcohol like Europeans(Australian Aborigines and Native Americans the same). Actually it's one reason I would have an issue with soy for a European. It's a "new" food in our diet that may not be as tolerated as well as in Asian populations where it has been a staple for 2000+ years. These adaptations occur rapidly too. One theory why the Irish population has a high number of Coeliacs(highest in Europe AFAIR) is that we relied on the potato rather than wheat as a staple carb for 300 yrs.

While I agree that IMHO people eat way too much of the bad carbs, indeed eat too much full stop, going the other extreme is just as daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 poonamt93

A very nice article you have written.I appreciate the helpful tips and will tell my friends!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Red-B

I was looking into taking Bioastin to stop from getting badly sunburnt on holidays (I have very fair skin). Would you reccommend this or does it have any side effects? Is it actually good for you because i've never heard of it before. Also is it easy to purchase in health food shops or can you only buy it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HipLady

grt post, loads of info
    just there is one small problem...
    its nearly impossible to eat healthy all the time!
    u would have to live in the health shop :D
    i m really trying to deliver to my body all it needs and its so hard work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shellerz

Saturated fats are NOT bad for you, they are required by the body to carry out many many functions. Half of your own body fat is saturated, it does not make evolutionary sense that we would contract cardiovascular disease from our own bodyfat. Moderators, please don't delete this post, or if you do please read the links below before first..

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/
    http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/foods14.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Just wondering if them pasta sauces and curry sauces etc you get the jars are ok? Are they not filled with preservatives and attidives etc? Is there such thing as a healthy curry?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Saturated fats are NOT bad for you
    ..but what is bad for you is that most people eat a redicilous amount of saturdated fat..

Just cos some scientist says we need a bit of saturated fat, does not mean its open season and we should all head down to the chipper tonight and get a large chips and a battered large cod :)

As with a lot of things in our diets these days, a small bit of 'it' is not bad for you, even good for you - but above that few grams it starts becoming bad for you [eg: studies say a glass of red wine is great for you, but drinking 3 bottles on your own in a single sitting does not mean its REALLY good for you!]. IE: Most people go to excess on these things, and they are therefore bad for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

pasta sauces and curry sauces
    Like all processed food like that, there are good ones and bad ones. You need to check out the labels on the back of the jars.

The best option is to learn how to make your own, so there is no rubbish in it, bar what you put in yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wowsers

hi, i've been getting information from www.safefood.eu it's an informative website and they have a great 'weigh2live' programme that allows you to track yourself regards food and exercise. have a look see... :D they also have a help line and a facebook page for queries, i'm a fan, PLUS ITS FREE!!

how long you been working with them for?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

..but what is bad for you is that most people eat a redicilous amount of saturdated fat..

Just cos some scientist says we need a bit of saturated fat, does not mean its open season and we should all head down to the chipper tonight and get a large chips and a battered large cod :)

As with a lot of things in our diets these days, a small bit of 'it' is not bad for you, even good for you - but above that few grams it starts becoming bad for you [eg: studies say a glass of red wine is great for you, but drinking 3 bottles on your own in a single sitting does not mean its REALLY good for you!]. IE: Most people go to excess on these things, and they are therefore bad for you :)

There's little to no saturated fat in a battered cod and chips. That's the mistake a lot of people make, pretty much all fast food is low in sat fat, saturated fat is expensive, fast food is cheap and depends on cheap polyunsaturated fats to deep fry in.

Try overeating saturated fat some time, seriously, sit down with a stick of butter and see how much you get through, you won't get far I promise :)

In any case saturated fat is not bad for you in any quantity, ask the people in the pacific islands who eat 50% of their calories from sat fat if they've ever heard of heart disease..

Wibbs wrote: »
    Inuit for example. yes they have an almost 100% protein diet, but and it's a big but, they're not living on steak and eggs. They have a highly varied diet of natural, raw animal foods, which covers their needs nicely. Whale and seal blubber as an example has really good balance of omega 3/6 and they eat every bit of the fish they catch inc the eyes(full of Vit c), but they also have massive livers as an adaptation to said diet.

I completely agree with what you said, just want to make a small pedantic point on the Inuit, there is a LOT of misinformation out there about what they actually eat. Their diet is not 100% protein, it's 75% fat, there are tales of them throwing the muscle meat to the dogs, anything more than 30% of calories from protein puts you at risk of protein toxicity and they were well aware of this. They also ate a good variety of plant foods such as berries and kelp which they prized whenever they could eat them.

Zero-carbers love using the Inuit as an example, but rarely actually bother to check out accurate accounts of what they ate.

Sorry for the rant, pet peeve of mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 foodforliving

Protein

" Proteins aren’t as easy for your body to digest as carbohydrates, so you actually need to work harder to break them down – they naturally increase your metabolism. They also help you stay fuller for longer and if you’re a highly active person, they’re vital to help you keep your muscle mass up. "

Remember that animal protein such as beef can have an impact on your blood sugar levels and insulin levels so always try to eat as much fiber as you can with your meats. I always add a tin of beans and pulses to any meat dish to add extra fiber (or other fiber source). One of the major dis-advantages of meat is its lack of fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Heh, funny you should post that as I was reading today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 foodforliving

I always find it diffisult to agree with anyone who is so extreme in their views.. the world if full of all these fabulous natural foods.. why not try to 'balance' things properly and the effect on your daily health is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

In any case saturated fat is not bad for you in any quantity, ask the people in the pacific islands who eat 50% of their calories from sat fat if they've ever heard of heart disease..

Aren't Tonga & Nauru in the South Pacific? Diabetes and obesity there are rife. Heart disease is the most common cause of death.

Edit: Maybe it's all the sugar they eat? I saw a documentary where in a cafe there they served hollowed loaves of white bread filled with Fanta orange and followed up with ice cream sandwiches. For breakfast.

Their meat is so marbled with fat that it's actually illegal to sell in NZ, they ship all their poor quality barely edible fresh meat & tinned spam etc off to the islands because they don't know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Their meat is so marbled with fat that it's actually illegal to sell in NZ, they ship all their poor quality barely edible fresh meat & tinned spam etc off to the islands because they don't know any better.

I don't understand, are you saying that because it's highly marbled with fat it's bad quality?? In some places this is actually considered a good thing, and I wish it was easier to get here, beef in particular.

Adelie wrote: »
    I don't understand, are you saying that because it's highly marbled with fat it's bad quality?? In some places this is actually considered a good thing, and I wish it was easier to get here, beef in particular.

The fat:meat ratio is crazy. You'd be eating globules of fat instead of a chunk of meat. I'M not saying it, it's meat that the food standards authority or whatever in NZ has said isn't fit for consumption and can't be sold there. They still want a profit so they sell it in Tonga. Like the tinned food is grade F or something over there instead of A,B,C in NZ.

I'd have to rewatch the documentary to get the facts straight.

Here's an article. Dunno if it's any use or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Thanks for the article. I very much doubt that meat shown in the article is the reason they are overweight though, I'd say it's more likely the sugar you mentioned, or at least the combination. The meat in the article actually looks good to me (although obviously the tinned stuff sounds nasty)

Thanks for the article. I very much doubt that meat shown in the article is the reason they are overweight though, I'd say it's more likely the sugar you mentioned, or at least the combination. The meat in the article actually looks good to me (although obviously the tinned stuff sounds nasty)

That pictured meat isn't what they were eating. It looked stripey with inch thick streaks of fat in it.

• Advertisement

Aren't Tonga & Nauru in the South Pacific? Diabetes and obesity there are rife. Heart disease is the most common cause of death.

Edit: Maybe it's all the sugar they eat? I saw a documentary where in a cafe there they served hollowed loaves of white bread filled with Fanta orange and followed up with ice cream sandwiches. For breakfast.

Yep, they are getting diabetes at a frightening rate since the introduction of flour and refined sugar.

More info here:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/01/tokelau-island-migrant-study-diabetes.html

and here:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/01/tokelau-island-migrant-study.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The meat in the picture isn't the one they are sending over, its a stock photo.

Lamb flaps (the fat from the belly) can't be some in NZ, its basically fat with bits of meat. It's also the national dish of tonga. NZ send a lot over, but the bad eating habits of tonga go back generations. It's all based arouns fatty meat dishes, addign fat etc.
    I'm not saying fat is bad, its saying they eat too much of it.

Mellor wrote: »
    The meat in the picture isn't the one they are sending over, its a stock photo.

Lamb flaps (the fat from the belly) can't be some in NZ, its basically fat with bits of meat. It's also the national dish of tonga. NZ send a lot over, but the bad eating habits of tonga go back generations. It's all based arouns fatty meat dishes, addign fat etc.
    I'm not saying fat is bad, its saying they eat too much of it.

Try overeating saturated fat, seriously just try it. You get the runs when you go overboard. Wheat flour and sugar universally devastate the health of pacific islanders, whether they started out on a high fat or high carb diet.

Saying pacific islanders eat too much fat is like saying heroin addicts use too much tinfoil, totally missing the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Saying pacific islanders eat too much fat is like saying heroin addicts use too much tinfoil, totally missing the real problem.

LMFAO at that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Zippidy

I've a nutrition 101 question relating to eating before bed.

Q: Is eating before bed problematic if you want to lose fat?

For example I am just after eating 90g of gilled beef patty with 280g peas at 10:30pm. I am going to bed soon.
    Now, I left the gym at 10:10pm having done a strenuous 30min cardio workout plus weights for 25 minutes. Having eaten that meal at 10:30 I have consumed around 1800 calories since I got up today (a defecit of around 700 calories), and I will eat no more till tomorrow. Would I be better off eating earlier, or is it fine to eat before bed, seen as how I am still in deficit and after working out half an hour before eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Meal timing and frequency does not matter. Just keep to your daily deficit and you'll get results.

Try overeating saturated fat, seriously just try it. You get the runs when you go overboard. Wheat flour and sugar universally devastate the health of pacific islanders, whether they started out on a high fat or high carb diet.

I wasn't saying they eat too much fat. I was describing what lamb flaps are, a national dish along side suckling pig. Portion size of these foods are terrible.

And obviously ridic amounts of sugar isn't hleping, but there were hardly in good shape before.

rocky wrote: »
    Meal timing and frequency does not matter. Just keep to your daily deficit and you'll get results.
    Yeah this tbh.
    700 deficit is a 700 deficit regardless.

The reason eating late sometime ruins results is because people simple wipe out their deficit by eating late into the night. If you can plan out properly, then its no problem

Protein

" Proteins aren’t as easy for your body to digest as carbohydrates, so you actually need to work harder to break them down – they naturally increase your metabolism. They also help you stay fuller for longer and if you’re a highly active person, they’re vital to help you keep your muscle mass up. "

Remember that animal protein such as beef can have an impact on your blood sugar levels and insulin levels so always try to eat as much fiber as you can with your meats. I always add a tin of beans and pulses to any meat dish to add extra fiber (or other fiber source). One of the major dis-advantages of meat is its lack of fiber.

Missed this first time round, protein doesn't impact on blood sugar levels unless you eat an unreasonable amount. It does trigger insulin release but it also triggered the balancing hormone of insulin, glucogen. In any case, I'm not convinced insulin going up and down like it's supposed to is a problem, more chronically high insulin even when not eating is likely to cause issue.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I wasn't saying they eat too much fat. I was describing what lamb flaps are, a national dish along side suckling pig. Portion size of these foods are terrible.

And obviously ridic amounts of sugar isn't hleping, but there were hardly in good shape before.

They actually were in great shape before, check out any pacific island population that still eats their traditional diet, they are in fine fettle, lean, with no signs of the obesity or degenerative diseases of their neighbours.

Check out this Kitavan man from Papua New Guinea:

kitavanman.jpg

(Ignore the cigarette lol!)

• Advertisement

Anyone know the protein value of the below?

Tin of Roses
    Chocolate Kimberlys
    Cans of Guinness
    Bottle of Captain Morgan

Advertisement