Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AIG motor insurance - COVID 19 refunds

• 12-05-2020 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi
    Has anyone who is insured with AIG directly had a part refund or communication from them? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'm with them, and no, I've not heard anything from them. I tweeted them, but I'm not expecting to hear anything back.

According to this...

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/majority-of-motor-insurers-to-offer-refunds-after-government-pressure-39156083.html

... we're not going to get any refund either. AIG "understood" to be offering lower premiums. Riiight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'm with AIG through An Post - An Posts website has FAQs and it says this about AIG:
    AIG has advised that they will not be issuing policy rebates at this time. They have indicated though, that in addition to measures already implemented to support customers through COVID-19 (which include priority repairs, free breakdown service and courtesy car for HSE and frontline professionals), if the current lull in traffic volumes does generate savings on expected claims, savings will be passed on through price reductions for future car policies, which includes a competitive quote at renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

..... if the current lull in traffic volumes does generate savings on expected claims, savings will be passed on through price reductions for future car policies, which includes a competitive quote at renewal.

So what they're saying is that they're going to use the reduction in claims to subsidise lower premiums in order to attract new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

coylemj wrote: »
    So what they're saying is that they're going to use the reduction in claims to subsidise lower premiums in order to attract new business.

I got a €30 one for all gift voucher from 123.ie motor insurance. Policy underwritten by RSA. Not a large part refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Around the €30 seems to the magic number for insurers giving rebates, FBD I believe gave €35 O4A vouchers to all motor customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Around the €30 seems to the magic number for insurers giving rebates, FBD I believe gave €35 O4A vouchers to all motor customers.

I see. Not really a whole lot in 30/35.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

I’ve looked into this a bit more and as per poster above they’re going to pass it on via reduced Premiums. Considering that I’ve been with them for four years, in excess of 10 years no claims bonus and my policy still goes up every year, I wouldn’t hold my breath on a reduced price come my renewal in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It just occurred to me that I have an annual excess policy (renewed in Feb. last) with AIG for car rental. Won't hold my breath for a rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

blueser wrote: »
    I'm with them, and no, I've not heard anything from them. I tweeted them, but I'm not expecting to hear anything back.

According to this...

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/majority-of-motor-insurers-to-offer-refunds-after-government-pressure-39156083.html

... we're not going to get any refund either. AIG "understood" to be offering lower premiums. Riiight.
    Surprise surprise, they haven't replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

horsebox7 wrote: »
    I see. Not really a whole lot in 30/35.

I'd imagine that figure was arrived at by calculating 5% of the average premium paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

What is the story with the Axa rebates? got correspondence a few weeks ago but still nothing else, or cannot find any links on their website

Advertisement