Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed trap van on the R759

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Ok, to get this back on topic....

You come across that particular van. You realise 100 meters from it that it is a speed trap van and you know you were probably breaking the speed limit so you stop. The front of the van is facing you on the other side of the road. You're stopped on your side of the road on a motorcycle.

What would you do next to avoid points and a speeding fine? Is stopping for a couple of minutes enough before continuing on your way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

You come across that particular van. You realise 100 meters from it that it is a speed trap van and you know you were probably breaking the speed limit so you stop. The front of the van is facing you on the other side of the road. You're stopped on your side of the road on a motorcycle.

What would you do next to avoid points and a speeding fine? Is stopping for a couple of minutes enough before continuing on your way?

No point stopping at all. The radar will be focused on a particular point on the road you are either above or below the speed limit when you cross that point. The front of the van has nothing to detect speed. I would think the camera on the front that can get the plate of the bike no matter how long you wait.

maybe if you wait for him to go home.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You slow down before you get to it.

blade1 wrote: »

Really? would that work? :pac:

Really? would that work? :pac:

It wouldn't work for you because you'd be after assuming it's a maintenance van.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't work for you because you'd be after assuming it's a maintenance van.

Not if it forgot to turn its amber lights on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

:pac:

Not if it forgot to turn its amber lights on though.

That would be stealth mode to you :pac:

The front of the van has nothing to detect speed.

Can anyone else verify this for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

Sure even if it did, what's done is done.

I'm surprised someone hasnt come out and asked why were you out on the road on a motorcycle during a lockdown.

• Advertisement

I can

1581595819305.jpg--.jpg?1581595819000

It's fairly obvious that the equipment for detecting speed is fairly sizeable and you can see it out the back window. There is nothing like that on the front side of the van

This is a very long thread but there is loads of info here too on how it works.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056091811

I can

You're not "anyone else".

I guess so but at least I can verify it beyond doubt. Especially with the info in the thread I linked to.

I guess so but at least I can verify it beyond doubt. Especially with the info in the thread I linked to.

Very big thread. Any idea where in the thread it's mentioned?

Very big thread. Any idea where in the thread it's mentioned?

Well the first post might help.
    How do they work?

In a nutshell there is a person inside viewing a camera. The camera is linked to a radar system and based on this radar system they can work out a vehicles speed. The system can work with the car going towards and away from the rear doors. They cannot work while the vehicle is in motion.

There is some really interesting info hidden in there too but since I read it years ago I have no idea what pages that would be on.

This other thread may give you more of what you are looking for and even has info on how far away they can catch people from. It's surprising how close you have to be but that is the trade off of a system designed to catch people across several lanes.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057633648&page=1

Also this is a good video if you want a visual idea of range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=eRS7ev_efxc&feature=emb_title

There are many pictures online if you want to see what equipment they have in the back.
    You will never see that equipment in the front, there is no room to set it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

How is saving lives not an essential services?

I think the vast majority of people understand what would happen if it was reported that these vans were taken off the road.

Public transport is much safer then motorbikes. If all motorbikes were banned then all the yearly deaths from motorbike accidents would be reduced to 0. Motorbikes are not essential transport, everywhere you can use a motorbike, you can also use a car or public transport.

Many major chinese cities banned all motorbike travel and they are flourishing.

So to save lives, I recommend to ban motorbikes because I can guarantee you that it would save many lives. China proves that it can be done, even in massive cities with populations of many millions they do well without any bikes. Use a bus or a car as last resort.

Some cities in China banned them because it's considered a sign of poverty. They have tier levels for city where appearances are one of the big factors.
    Now look at how horrific their traffic jams are because of banning 2 scooters and motorbikes.

Some cities in China banned them because it's considered a sign of poverty. They have tier levels for city where appearances are one of the big factors.
    Now look at how horrific their traffic jams are because of banning 2 scooters and motorbikes.

Doesn't matter, using China as an example that it works. One city in China has many times the population of all of Ireland. There are very few bikes in Ireland and even fewer commuters, the difference would be negligible but many lives would be saved.

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, using China as an example that it works. One city in China has many times the population of all of Ireland. There are very few bikes in Ireland and even fewer commuters, the difference would be negligible but many lives would be saved.

Ok so we start to apply Chinese policy to roads here and then fatality rates jump by more than 4 times(per capita) to match Chinese rates.
    It could be a difficult sell but you have piqued my interest.

Ok so we start to apply Chinese policy to roads here and then fatality rates jump by more than 4 times(per capita) to match Chinese rates.
    It could be a difficult sell but you have piqued my interest.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about banning motorbikes. The fatalities would increase by 4 times automatically as soon as motorbikes are banned? Your post makes no sense.

Whatever the case, it's all about saving lives. Just like with covid 19. Millions stay at home to save lives, even with massive economic downturn. A minor inconvenience of not being able to use a bike would outweigh the lives saved.

• Advertisement

Ohio9 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I'm talking about banning motorbikes. The fatalities would increase by 4 times automatically as soon as motorbikes are banned? Your post makes no sense.

Whatever the case, it's all about saving lives. Just like with covid 19. Millions stay at home to save lives, even with massive economic downturn. A minor inconvenience of not being able to use a bike would outweigh the lives saved.

I'm talking about pubic road policy in China compared to Ireland. Isn't that the topic?

Have you need finding the covid-19 restriction mentally stressful? It's been difficult, that's for sure.

I'm talking about pubic road policy in China compared to Ireland. Isn't that the topic?

Have you need finding the covid-19 restriction mentally stressful? It's been difficult, that's for sure.

Focus on banning motorbikes. Speed vans save lives so does not riding motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

It's a lot easier to ban motorcycles and enforce COVID19 restrictions in China then here when they have an authoritarian government and an armed police force.

It's a lot easier to ban motorcycles and enforce COVID19 restrictions in China then here when they have an authoritarian government and an armed police force.

Well they passed the legislation forcing people to stay at home very quickly otherwise face massive fines or jail time. When there is a will, there is a way.

Usually the governments wait for something to happen and then start changing laws, introducing them in few days. Like the recent mass shooting in Canada caused an almost instant assault rifle ban.

Can we talk about speed traps please? There is a whole section of boards for covid-19

Speeding isn't the only cause of accidents but definitely is one of them. The amount of drivers trying crazy overtaking manoeuvres with nothing said is mad. Speed traps are handy money. Why are there not more at actual bad spots. Why is using an indicator not a legal requirement, it's seen as a courtesy! Amount of drivers that don't use it/know how to use it is also mad. I think the driving test needs to be overhauled and motorway driving lessons to be mandatory even if not tested. Not too many accidents caused by drivers driving under 50 kmh in a town in Broad daylight or reveskrsing around a corner. I think the standard of driving is poor here, harsh to put a lot of it on motorcyclists.

Speed traps are handy money.

Speed traps costs the state money. For example, last year the state paid gosafe €14.8m to operate and took in €5.6m from fines issued based on evidence from gosafe.
    It does free up Garda time though so it's worth it for that. But even regular Garda speed traps by the time the guard is paid and administration costs, speeding fines do not result in net profit.

Speed traps costs the state money. For example, last year the state paid gosafe €14.8m to operate and took in €5.6m from fines issued based on evidence from gosafe.
    It does free up Garda time though so it's worth it for that. But even regular Garda speed traps by the time the guard is paid and administration costs, speeding fines do not result in net profit.[/QUOTE

Meant to say that a lot of them are set up in high volume of traffuc areas designed to trap more hitters rather than in blackspots where there are lots of accidents caused by speeding. There's too much reacting to bad driving like speeding and not enough proactive education of drivers to get them to drive better after they pass their tests. Overtaking cyclists is another area where we could be better. There are enough dashcams out there for the RSA to study some of them and try to have an assesment for drivers to make the roads safer for everyone, not just passing a test in conditions that you'll rarely experience again.

I agree with those points. I'm Just pointing out that speeding fines are not a money making scheme by the government, many believe it is and are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Advertisement