Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What percentage of the people surveyed were from a nation where people have access to free to air tv?

What is the age demographic of those who who are in a paywall tv market?

What is the age demographic of those in the free to air tv market?

Within all the above sub groups what is the proportion of those willing to pay to those who aren't?

If your hypothesis stands up to the above then I will accept it. However, the survey doesn't go into that detail.

Like I said, statistics can be used to "prove" anything. With respect, your hypothesis is agenda based (most are, not going to pretend my argument isn't) and can't be proven with the linked survey. (In the interest of fairness however, the absence of sufficient detail in the survey also means your hypothesis can't be disproved) So in conclusion; inconclusive!

I have no agenda/argument really, the guys above argued about one of the statistics (average age: increase versus decrease) fortunately the report is very definitive about that. I'm not too concerned with the implications. What I am interested in now is why that might have occurred, either in reality or as a result of sample bias.

The age profile plot does show more young people (16-24) filling in the survey for example, so that would be a counter to my own hypothesis above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The problem with an online survey is actually twofolds:

1. The average age of the people taking it will be lower than that of the whole possible audience; E.g. I've taken it, but my father isn't likely to even know there's such a survey.

2. The audience it gets responses from is already a quite involved one - made up of people interested enough in the subject (in this case, Formula 1) to go online searching for information and joining discussion forums.

What's to conclude from this? Very simple - on one hand, I wouldn't give too much weight to the "average age" claims, as it's suffering from an obvious media-related influence.

On the other hand, there is an immensely worrysome takeout from this survey; that 50% of fans who don't watch anymore because of pay TV are just amongst an audience dedicated enough to take a survey; In turns, it means the rate of spectators abandoning the sport in the general, wider audience is bound to be much, much higher.

Just like some other posters above, I've always struggled to find proper "diehard" passionate F1 fans, those who would know off the bat how many races Alain Prost won at that point in time, or who came in third at the 1984 Monaco Grand Prix; However I used to know a lot of people who followed F1 even if they knew very little or nothing about it, just because it was usually on TV Sundays at lunchtime. People to which the names Fangio, Stewart or BRM could have been brands of tinned beans, yet they switched the TV on and watched the races, Sunday after Sunday - except Japan and Australia, they wouldn't get up at 4am for these (at a time when Adelaide was the last race of the season).

It was also not rare to find people who, despite not knowing anything about F1, had been to a live race; Usually it was a case of their dad or an uncle, some friends or even their partner going and them joining in just because it was an event they heard about on TV.

The last 10 years - that "casual" component is pretty much gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The problem with an online survey is actually twofolds:

1. The average age of the people taking it will be lower than that of the whole possible audience; E.g. I've taken it, but my father isn't likely to even know there's such a survey.

Yup, looking at the plot for respondents, the proportion of 16-24 years olds is around the same as the proportion for the huge 45+ age range.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Roll on the weekend so the discussion can get back to the season. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

vectra wrote: »
    Roll on the weekend so the discussion can get back to the season. :rolleyes:
    Do you think your friend Kimi can score points this weekend?

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Do you think your friend Kimi can score points this weekend?

Not looking like it in pre season testing. But strange things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/10/f1-signs-long-term-sponsorship-deal-with-worlds-biggest-polluter-saudi-aramco/
    F1 signs long-term sponsorship deal with ‘world’s biggest polluter’ Saudi Aramco

Didn't F1 say it wanted to be carbon neutral? I guess not just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

It's there a boards.ie fantasy F1 League setup for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I had a look at the betting for the Australian GP and Russell is 25/1 to get in the points. I think thats a great price considering the step forward they have obviously made in testing. He'll need some luck for sure but he deserves it after the horrors of last season.

On superbru?
    Can do a fantasy or predictor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,903 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gintonious wrote: »

Joe Saward talks about this. He said the single biggest sports event, in terms of emissions, is currently the tour de France. When you factor in the fans who travel from other countries and drive around with the tour and all their associated emissions (I found this hard to believe but I'll take Joe's word for it in this instance).

He went on to say the f1 wasn't going to consider fan emissions when it made its 'carbon neutral' calculations. So I'm fairness, it's a load of nonsense. Just a PR stunt more than any genuine desire actually make things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

The Guardian is reporting that three team members are being testing for Covid 19 in Melbourne . "Three Formula One team members in Melbourne for the Australian Grand Prix have been told to self-isolate as they await test results for Covid-19."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I started one with a couple of friends, whoever would like to is welcome to join:

https://fantasy.formula1.com/leagues
    League Name: Formula 17
    League Code: 1f5bc3f152

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

rock22 wrote: »
    The Guardian is reporting that three team members are being testing for Covid 19 in Melbourne . "Three Formula One team members in Melbourne for the Australian Grand Prix have been told to self-isolate as they await test results for Covid-19."

One from Mclaren and two from Haas apparently. They had already been mixing freely in the paddock, so a big concern if any of them test positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Join Boardsies 2020, my F1 Predictor league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=12232196

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

fumedons

Edit: I take it you can join the pool and do the fantasy and predicator games separately (and your reults are saved to the pool?). I hadn't set up a pool before so give it a whirl (if you someone already has one setup I'll delete this one).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,071 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sk5ecIB.jpg
    FWP8eqO.jpg

2020 Renault

Anjobe wrote: »
    One from Mclaren and two from Haas apparently. They had already been mixing freely in the paddock, so a big concern if any of them test positive.

Yeah big concern of any of them test positive but that's inevitable. Presumably the Ferrari, Tauri and Alfa teams are all travelling in spite of the lock down in Italy. Italy is is lock down to stop people travelling because that speeds the spread of the virus. So its absolutely bound to happen sooner or later.

If they get serious about it they'll have to postpone the f1. If whole countries go Into lock down and the f1 circus merrily travels the world with people from the locked down countries amongst them, it's a mockery of the whole thing.

A big part of he thinks we should just carry on as normal and assume 2% of people who get it will die. Just count it as a cost of doing business. If we why to stop it spreading then things like F1 travelling the world, should be amongst the first things to be stopped.

Yeah big concern of any of them test positive but that's inevitable. Presumably the Ferrari, Tauri and Alfa teams are all travelling in spite of the lock down in Italy.

I thought the Alfa team was based in Hinwill?

vectra wrote: »
    I thought the Alfa team was based in Hinwill?

Spot on. It's Hinwill in Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

A big part of he thinks we should just carry on as normal and assume 2% of people who get it will die. Just count it as a cost of doing business.

People dying is just 'cost of doing business' to you. I hope no one you know or love contracts it and dies you cold bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Longing

Renault team members in isolation. F1 driver Daniel Ricciardo skips news conference as three team members isolate after showing symptoms of Coronavirus. On Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,071 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People dying is just 'cost of doing business' to you. I hope no one you know or love contracts it and dies you cold bastard.

People dying is just the cost of doing business for all.of us at the moment. if it weren't then things like F1 travelling around the world for sports entertainment would need to be the first thing to go. If we want to actually prevent it, we need to think and act like we want to prevent it. If you support f1 going ahead this weekend then you're completely supporting the spread of the virus and the inevitable death of 2% of the population who gets it.

Do you support the f1 going ahead this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Do you support the f1 going ahead this weekend?

Personally, no I don't, I think its massively irresponsible. F1 brings together fans from all over the world, in a way that most sports do not, as well as having teams based across Europe and the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

F1 was in dilemma since February as it became clear that Cornona was becoming a global pandemic. What do to?
    Some suggested to cancel the first races and add them at the end of the calendar. What would mean extending to 2021, rain/bushfire season and a very short break with the introduction of the new cars. Also no Concorde agreement yet in place for 2021.
    With three weeks to go to Australia, a very short time to react, also Australia had no travel warning and government/promoters didn't show any signs of wanting to pull the plug. Should F1 really go ahead and stop it without a mutual agreement?
    Also we can assume that the whole season will be impacted and we will see races without spectators (At least Bahrain) or cancellations, later in the year. F1 choose to delay China ( that is affected from a travel warning) and go ahead with the calendar. There were no easy decisions.
    Günter Steiner mentioned the precautions the teams took, I have no doubt that there were a lot of measures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

astrofluff wrote: »
    Join Boardsies 2020, my F1 Predictor league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/f1/pool.php?p=12232196

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

fumedons

Edit: I take it you can join the pool and do the fantasy and predicator games separately (and your reults are saved to the pool?). I hadn't set up a pool before so give it a whirl (if you someone already has one setup I'll delete this one).

Signed up there :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Presumably the Ferrari, Tauri and Alfa teams are all travelling in spite of the lock down in Italy. Italy is is lock down to stop people travelling because that speeds the spread of the virus. So its absolutely bound to happen sooner or later.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw it reported somewhere that the Ferrari team at least had set off for Australia BEFORE the whole of Italy got locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont think any major crowd gathering event should be going ahead.
    Cheltenham is a disgrace and we will surely see clusters breaking out around people who attended.
    That womens day celebration in london was also nuts.

I think f1 paddock will get destroyed with this virus even if events go behind closed doors. Hundreds of team members at the track, all bundled in planes and hotels together. Id be very surprised if it can be controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

eljono wrote: »
    I started one with a couple of friends, whoever would like to is welcome to join:

https://fantasy.formula1.com/leagues
    League Name: Formula 17
    League Code: 1f5bc3f152

Joined aswell! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

SquireD wrote: »
    Joined aswell! :cool:

Yeah why not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement