Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A man and his dogs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

You might be projecting your own views there. Most people would be disturbed to think their dogs were going to eat them.

If you don't get eaten by the dogs, you won't be escaping the worms. I'd rather the dogs ate me than go hungry for the days it took to discover my body

But be warned, you dog people. Nobody has ever taken a dog into battle.
    The Romans did surely? Mastiffs or something similar. Probably only for a very short period of history. Or is that just Hollywood stuff?

Every army in the world has dog units, insofar as I am aware. I used to live close to a military academy (not in Ireland), and would see them exercising their dogs in the public park regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This thread has gone to the dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They were probably used to eating carcasses. Yer man was living wild,no doubt killing his own and the dogs food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

kneemos wrote: »
    They were probably used to eating carcasses. Yer man was living wild,no doubt killing his own and the dogs food.

Happens an awful lot - https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/pets-dogs-cats-eat-dead-owners-forensics-science/
    I’ve reviewed about 20 of these published cases, along with a 2015 study that pulled together 63 cases of indoor scavenging.
    In 24 percent of the cases in the 2015 review, which all involved dogs, less than a day had passed before the partially eaten body was found. What’s more, some of the dogs had access to normal food they hadn’t eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Maren Raspy Recorder

I suppose you wouldn't mind either if your dead body was wedged inside a kind of conga line orgy of old fat blokes for a marathon session of drug fuel sexed.

Rituals around death are very important to people historically.
    Thread needs poll

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Thread needs poll
    Or a Needle .

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

The real tragedy here is that in Ireland, in 2019, an elderly man was dead so long without anyone checking in on him that the dogs got the best cuts of meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I don't follow your line of thinking. You suggested that you don't care what happens to your body after death, even now, as you claim to be alive. I'm not convinced.

100% comparable.
    I was clearly only referring to being eaten by a pet. That's specifically what I said I wouldn't care about.

Blergh: "Most people would be disturbed to think their dogs were going to eat them."

Me in direct response to above: "Would most people? I don't know. Perhaps.

The idea doesn't bother me either as I'd be dead."

I don't see how you could have grounds to misrepresent what I said. The scenario in question is one due to necessity, for survival.

The extreme one you suggested isn't.

Dogs are the True re-cyclers . Way ahead of Humans .

They don’t let Prime Protein go to waste .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You might be projecting your own views there. Most people would be disturbed to think their dogs were going to eat them.

Well, yes they are my views. Why not? Not when we are alive. Of course.

• Advertisement

Hobosan wrote: »
    The real tragedy here is that in Ireland, in 2019, an elderly man was dead so long without anyone checking in on him that the dogs got the best cuts of meat.
    This always gets said but I wonder do those who say it, check on the elderly folk in their neighbourhood.

The story in the OP is from Texas too - unless there was a similar recent case in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

El Tarangu wrote: »

So now we know what they're really thinking.

You’d always get delusional dog owners saying their beloved pets wouldn’t eat them if they had the misfortune to drop dead. And that cats would be tucking into the ribs within 5 minutes of you passing. Turns out survival instinct and being an animal knocks silly anthropormorphism out of the park.

Not immediately, only when they were starving. ie the owners had died days before and not been found.

IF they were starving, as in the case here and the one I mentioned re the old lady in the council flat. Both dogs and cats grieve for their owners after sudden death and both will sleep on graves.

we feed our pets and companions... . and their welfare matters to us. i would not begrudge them what I no longer need... not tha t I would be in a position to do so.

Oh and cats start with feet and legs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

13 dogs put down due to aggression.....they ate him.......yet it's claimed he loved his animals.

Not having it.

This always gets said but I wonder do those who say it, check on the elderly folk in their neighbourhood.

The story in the OP is from Texas too - unless there was a similar recent case in Ireland?

The case I mentioned was in England in block of council flats. Old folk can go weeks without anyone noticing. Myself included

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

. Most people would be disturbed to think their dogs were going to eat them.

Most people would not be disturbed at this thought. See, my assertion is just as valid/stupid as yours.!

My cats, or any hungry animal are perfectly welcome to my body.
    My wife wants to be eaten by lions or vultures - not sure I'll be able arrange that if I'm still alive, though.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not immediately, only when they were starving. ie the owners had died days before and not been found.

IF they were starving, as in the case here and the one I mentioned re the old lady in the council flat. Both dogs and cats grieve for their owners after sudden death and both will sleep on graves.

we feed our pets and companions... . and their welfare matters to us. i would not begrudge them what I no longer need... not tha t I would be in a position to do so.

Oh and cats start with feet and legs...
    Cats have great Manners and Class . Such good etiquette to start with the feet and legs .

Hoboo wrote: »
    13 dogs put down due to aggression.....they ate him.......yet it's claimed he loved his animals.

Not having it.
    They can get a bit testy when here is no gravy accompany-ment ( on the side )

No, it's technically illegal, but you can always plant a dog at the scene and nobody is the wiser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

I don't see how you could have grounds to misrepresent what I said.

Your thinking is muddled and you need to work on your reading comprehension.

There is no sense in which I "misrepresented" what you said.

Learn the meaning of words. Bye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Maren Raspy Recorder

my point is you have no way of knowing whether he would be ok with it or not.

I think it's safe to assume he'd rather his beloved dogs were not forced to eat him. Not a nice situation for the dogs either.

Still, I suspect he'd rather they survived on him than starve to death, which can't be too pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Only way is if he had a donor-type card giving his pets permission to eat him :pac:

Only way is if he had a donor-type card giving his pets permission to eat him :pac:

Or if his body was soaked in goose fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Crosby Unsightly Rope

You’d always get delusional dog owners saying their beloved pets wouldn’t eat them if they had the misfortune to drop dead. And that cats would be tucking into the ribs within 5 minutes of you passing. Turns out survival instinct and being an animal knocks silly anthropormorphism out of the park.

My friend used to foster cats, she got one once who she was warned was difficult, his elderly owner had died at home alone and it was most of a week before he was discovered because of the cat screeching at the door.

He hadn't eaten any of the body but my god he was as fcuked in the head as a person would be after being locked in a flat with a body. Used to sit in the corner, facing inwards, and miaow really loudly for ten or twenty minute stretches. Drag his food bowl to the middle of the room, and then sh1t in it.

Doesn't depend on the species, depends on the animal! But it is only dog people (aka anti cat people) who've made this weird virtue out of "well MY favourite type of pet wouldn't eat my dead body''.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

My friend used to foster cats, she got one once who she was warned was difficult, his elderly owner had died at home alone and it was most of a week before he was discovered because of the cat screeching at the door.

He hadn't eaten any of the body but my god he was as fcuked in the head as a person would be after being locked in a flat with a body. Used to sit in the corner, facing inwards, and miaow really loudly for ten or twenty minute stretches. Drag his food bowl to the middle of the room, and then sh1t in it.

Doesn't depend on the species, depends on the animal! But it is only dog people (aka anti cat people) who've made this weird virtue out of "well MY favourite type of pet wouldn't eat my dead body''.

Sounds like me the day after a 3 day festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’ve got a dog. If I died and she was stuck in the house with my “rotting” corpse for a week I would be more annoyed if she didn’t eat me.

Survival trumps etiquette in those situations. It’s not a great image but I’d rather the dog lived on rather than dying beside me and since my organs would already be “spoiled” for transplants so they may as well go to some good use.

The tide is turning…

I’ve got a dog. If I died and she was stuck in the house with my “rotting” corpse for a week I would be more annoyed if she didn’t eat me.

Survival trumps etiquette in those situations. It’s not a great image but I’d rather the dog lived on rather than dying beside me and since my organs would already be “spoiled” for transplants so they may as well go to some good use.
    "I suppose you wouldn't mind either if your dead body was wedged inside a kind of conga line orgy of old fat blokes for a marathon session of drug fuel sexed (sic)".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My wife wants to be eaten by lions or vultures - not sure I'll be able arrange that if I'm still alive, though.
    TBR, so long as you don't arrange it while she's still alive you're OK. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

"I suppose you wouldn't mind either if your dead body was wedged inside a kind of conga line orgy of old fat blokes for a marathon session of drug fuel sexed (sic)".

I guess that would depend on whether those “old fat blokes” meant something to me, or not.

“Misuse” probably isn’t something most people want to happen to their corpse. At the end of the day, you’re not going to care either way because your dead but your family might.

I think they’d be ok with the dog eating me but less so with the fat lads “embalming” me with their own “fluids”.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement