Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Double-jointed as contortionist

• 27-12-2002 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Is anyone naturally "double-jointed" who can do body positions like a contortionist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i can bend back my thumb!?

/me takes a bow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I can also bend my thumb back! We should join the circus Az.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I can wiggle my thumb in wasy that others cannot, can i join your circus of thumbs?

Perhaps... I'd have to see this thumb wiggling in action though.

well it goes a little like this..
    march.gif

• Advertisement

Ah I think a friend of mine can do that aswell..

Yeah sure you can join if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

My thumb is double jointed and bends in strange ways, can i join as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I too am a bendy thumb person. I can also bend my elbows and knees backwards... looks hideous but comes in handy for freaking people out at parties :)

I just tried to bend my thumb back like I used to be able to.. I couldn't do it and it hurt like hell... I hereby leave the circus :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

I can bend my thumb like gordan, room for 2 of the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was going to say "but I thought everyone can bend their thumb back", then I read the rest of the posts and .......well.......it looks like everyone can. So original thumb bendy poster. You're not so special after all!:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I can fold my fingers over each other.
    And I can move my right index finger up and down against the joint.
    This freaked out a lot of people...

I can also do a brilliant impersonation of the 'Chatterer' from Hellraiser.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The tips of my little fingers bend right back, so when I bend them forward and bend the tips right back, people cry. This pleases me.

My little brother can put his head on his feet from a standing position. This is freakier when you see it done.

My sister could bend all her toes right back. This was disgusting and she got thumped a lot for doing it.

The chatterer?? Coooool. If anyone out there can impersonate Pinhead, though....... mmmm, Pinhead.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i can program a video recorder...........

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    i can program a video recorder...........

Holy shit! How? Can you tell me?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I can fix the first joint in most of my fingers so that my finger stays rigidly straight up until the second joint, which then goes down almost perpendicular to the rest of the finger.

Sound easy? Try it.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

tho not double jointed, my doctor tells me that the reason i have'nt broken more bones that i should have is because I have lax joints. not double jointed, but looser than your average bear :D

my sister however is a freak of nature and spent many of our childhood years terrorizing me to the brink of insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Silverfish
    The tips of my little fingers bend right back, so when I bend them forward and bend the tips right back, people cry. This pleases me.
    I think most people can put them back about 45 degrees, its to stop you breaking them.
    Originally posted by Silverfish
    My sister could bend all her toes right back. This was disgusting and she got thumped a lot for doing it.
    Yeah, I can twist some of my toes more than 90 degrees back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Kolodny
    I too am a bendy thumb person. I can also bend my elbows and knees backwards... looks hideous but comes in handy for freaking people out at parties :)
    Amp is soooo lucky ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kiwipilot

This is photo of a very supple contortionist! But there will be a few readers who can also do this or know someone who can do other contortions that require extreme flexibility (double-jointed)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

you know when you sit cross legged in on the floor? i can keep my feet in that position and put them behind my head :)
    i can also do the backwards cross legged thing where you walk on your knees
    my hips are double jointed or something i guess :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Neo-
    Holy shit! How? Can you tell me?

:eek:

Nah its like being double jointed, you cant learn it you have to be born with the ability

Originally posted by kiwipilot
    Attachment: bak03_0209.jpg
    I guess that brings a new meaning to having your head up your arse! heh, weh weh weh... oh.. hang on - that is literally correct.. darn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I have a bit of a freaky wrist. I can dislocate it which looks prity hideous, but the nasty sound that goes with it multiplies the hideotisity (yes, i created a new word..deal with it) tenfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I think i just broke my thumb :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

I have a double jointed jaw apparently...it look like it dislocates itself.

Um
    Um
    Um

Why *do* you want to know, kiwi? You recruiting?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kiwipilot

I have studied hyper mobility of the body for some 40 years and have seen some extrordinary examples of what some people call "double-jointed" (which there is no such thing!). This is to do with a genes item where the ligaments are very stretchy allowing gross angular joint motion and is far more prevalent in females than in males.

Of course, if someone is born like this and becomes interested in stretching to "freak out" friends then the joints become more and more flexible. You doubtless have seen contortionists perform amazing postures with their very flexible joints and I am interested in getting more information from such for case history reasons.

Ian

• Advertisement
Advertisement