Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Faulty Immersion Heater

• 27-02-2008 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I want to replace a faulty immersion heater that goes into the top of my hot water tank. I don't know much about these heaters but both the hot water tank and the immersion appear to be fairly standard items.

Is there much involved in swapping the faulty unit for a new one ?

Woodies sell spare immersion heaters, they seem to come in a number of different lengths, is there any way to tell which one I should use apart from pulling the existing one out of the tank ?

I assume I don't need to drain the system or anything and I am comfortable with basic wiring jobs etc.

Any advice welcome and appreciated !

b.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

have you thought about this......

do you need to replace the whole unit or just the thermostat?
    if it is the thermostat, it'll cost just 10 or 15€ and is a doddle to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Its tripping the CB every time I power it up, so I guess the fault is likely not with the stat...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

you will need to turn off the cold feed to the tank,
    and drain down to below the level of the immersion.
    you have to be careful that you don't buckle the tank when removing old immersion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

John mac wrote: »
    you will need to turn off the cold feed to the tank,
    and drain down to below the level of the immersion.
    you have to be careful that you don't buckle the tank when removing old immersion.

Last point here very important: do not under any circumstances put much leverage on the tank or u run the risk of shearing off the entire fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I did this two weeks ago.... Here's what I did:

Things required:

1. Full Ring spanner (not the half, its a waste of time)
    2. a ball of Hemp
    3. Tub of boss white (or similar jointing compound)

Before unwiring the old immersion take a photo of the wiring into the switch (or make a wiring plan).

Removing the old immersion:
    Do as above (drain tank, shut off feed etc). Have plenty of towels handy in case you didn't drain enough (I was in a hurry and flooded the feckin kitchen ceiling :mad:)...
    Once the old immersion is out, clean out the fitting thoroughly and dry it.

Inserting the new immersion:
    follow the instructions on the boss white tub: basically strand the hemp into the grooves of the screwplate of the new immersion towards the top, using hemp: layer of Boss White.. and finish with a layer of boss white...

Put the immersion into the tank and, making sure the thread wasn't crossed, screwed the unit back gently, tighten until firm (but not overtight).

Refill the tank and turn on the cold feed, check for leaks..
    I then put the heating on to bring the tank back to pressure to see if any leaks.

Once I was happy, I wired the new one up.

Then it still wouldn't work, so I got an electrician out who told me the switch was gone and I did'nt need to replace the immersion in the first place :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: no sign it had gone tho, light's still on, everything...

so, check the switch first eh... cost me the bones of 120 euro in the end.. all for the price of a switch (20)..

FBP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

yep, the reason i said it was that my immersion was playing up and i thought i'd have to replace the immersion but it turned out only to be the stat after osme investigation...........and it was a doddle to do.

Advertisement