Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Characters Real and Fictional

• 08-07-2009 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, The ones I know are Johnny Forty Coats; Mixer Reid; Molly Malone; Dicey Reilly; Lugs Brannigan; Bang Bang. Can anyone add to the list?:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

the diceman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

big thread on it here

then there is Christy Sweets who hands out sweets to Dublin players after the hurling and football games in Parnell Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

big thread on it here

Ah but they're talking about present day characters. I thnk the OP is talking about the characters of old. Am I right Essential?

One or two I remember were Wagon Wheels who once chased me (I was a kid) from the top of Gardiner Street down as far as Memorial Road beside the Custom House where I managed to lose him. If you called out "Wagon Wheels" he would come after you for some reason. He could be fearsome looking too so I'm glad he never caught me.

The OP already mentioned Mickser Reid. Mickser worked in the old Royal and when it was being demolished to make way for the eyesore known as Hawkins House, Mickser worked on the demolition. After that he worked as a nipper on the building of the aforementioned eyesore... and I don't know what happened him after that.

Perhaps I should mention that Mickser was, in terms that would be used today as Vertically Challenged.... but we just called him a dwarf.

A lot of the oul characters that were around in my childhood would have been men who came back from the war (WW2) not quite the same young men who went off to war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

You historians might enjoy this portraiture of Davy Stephens, the Kingstown Newsman http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/page6.html

• Advertisement

Pete Shortt, another one. Used to sell In Dublin on Grafton Street. And then there was yer one who did her prayers on O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

brendan behan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jimboh

'Hoyer Kelly' the original character which James Plunkett had to base his Rashers Tierney character in the Strumpet City novel. The name derives from the fact that he said 'Hi Yer' if he passed you by, sometimes without even knowing you. A tall and gaunt, friendly man wearing hobnail boots, walked the streets with a small dog with a rope as a lead. He was a vagrant, but his neighbours of Corporation Buildings (off Talbot Street) looked after him, by giving him scraps of food and tea. He died tragically when the hut he was sleeping in caught fire. Both he and the dog perished. My late mother made the connection having watched the Strumpet City series on television in 1980. Ironically the dogs name was Rusty.

Essential wrote: »
    Hi, The ones I know are Johnny Forty Coats; Mixer Reid; Molly Malone; Dicey Reilly; Lugs Brannigan; Bang Bang. Can anyone add to the list?:pac:
    "Hoyer Kelly"

"Hairy Lemon" This was a name I heard as a youngster in Dublin passed on to me by my then pals. The name has no biased meaning to any individual. It was simply attributed to old men of the then 1960's. These men were simply homeless and could be seen foraging in dustbins. Usually dressed in ragged clothes and bearing long grey beards hence the name "Hairy Lemon" but they were in the main, harmless people. But as youngsters, were in awe and terror of them. Often our parents would warn us (to get us all to bed early) "You better watch out or Hairy Lemon will get you" I don't hear much of that name in these current times. But those poor men can still be seen doing the same things I saw all those years ago. Dublin hasn't changed much, anyway that was my understanding of the slogan "Hairy Lemon"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

NecroThread man, known colloquially as Jimboh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

"Cyclone" Bill Warren or Siki, ex boxer and probably the first and only black man that Dubliners of the early 20s-40s ever seen in real life. Apparently he always carried a paper bag under his arm and advertised Nugget Boot Polish around the city. He seems to have become a forgotten charactor in Dublin history.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭gerryg80

jimboh wrote: »
    "Hairy Lemon" This was a name I heard as a youngster in Dublin passed on to me by my then pals. The name has no biased meaning to any individual. It was simply attributed to old men of the then 1960's. These men were simply homeless and could be seen foraging in dustbins. Usually dressed in ragged clothes and bearing long grey beards hence the name "Hairy Lemon" but they were in the main, harmless people. But as youngsters, were in awe and terror of them. Often our parents would warn us (to get us all to bed early) "You better watch out or Hairy Lemon will get you" I don't hear much of that name in these current times. But those poor men can still be seen doing the same things I saw all those years ago. Dublin hasn't changed much, anyway that was my understanding of the slogan "Hairy Lemon"

I thought "Hairy Lemon" referred to a dog catcher around dublin in the 50s/60s. As referred to in the song "The Mero" by Pete St. John

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Muas Tenek

Don't forget Mary Dunne "The Dancer" She used to dance in the middle of O' Connell St (where the Spire is now) and sing hymns and tell you that Jesus loves you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Muas Tenek wrote: »
    Don't forget Mary Dunne "The Dancer" She used to dance in the middle of O' Connell St (where the Spire is now) and sing hymns and tell you that Jesus loves you.

She was actually a perfectly normal person off duty so to speak.
    You could see her now and then having tea in the Central Hotel with nothing odd about her at all, chatting away with her friends.
    Should'nt talk about her in the past tense though because i'm sure she's still hale and hearty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Skinback wrote: »
    She was actually a perfectly normal person off duty so to speak.
    You could see her now and then having tea in the Central Hotel with nothing odd about her at all, chatting away with her friends.
    Should'nt talk about her in the past tense though because i'm sure she's still hale and hearty.

"Mad Mary" we used to call her.

One of the papers did an article about her about a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

then there is Christy Sweets who hands out sweets to Dublin players after the hurling and football games in Parnell Park.

I worked with him for a summer when I was in school. Gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

jimboh wrote: »
    "Hoyer Kelly"

A big man who served some time in the Irish Guards (British army). Later he lived in Corporation Buildings where he died in a fire.

I remember him well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Then there was "Holy Mary"..real name i didnt know,who walked about the place carrying a wooden crucifix draped in a tricolour ribbon shouting about religion.

There was also this crazy woman,i'm pretty sure she was english who would wear a sort of cowl and spend hours writing on hoardings about Israel/Palestine and other stuff i could make no sense of.
    Her sentences could be five or six feet long and would take up entire hoardings.

There was a bloke in around 1990 who sat in a deckchair outside the GPO with a display of carrots and flowers in jamjars on the ledge beside him..when a friend of mine asked him what he was doing he said he was looking for a wife!

My grandfather went to school in O'Connels and was telling me about a charcter called "Rusty Razors"..he used to cut the hedges in the area near the school and had a bright red beard. For some reason he took umbrage at being called Rusty razors and would chase anybody who said it,pair of shears in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orl677

Sorry to butt in on the reminiscing with a question but..

Has anyone spotted the following character around over the last few months, i've seen her a few times myself, twice up around Dorset street and once walking down O'Connell Street.
    Its a woman, maybe late 30s, who looks, hmm i'd say content in her own world. Im not being mean now when I refer to her at all, im simply intrigued. She wears (im not joking) PINK, head to toe. Same outfit everytime i've seen her. She was wearing a pink wooly hat, pink jacket, top, trousers, leg warmers, runners.. quite a sight to behold I must say. For some reason I would just be fascinated to know anything about her, fair play to her and her love of the colour :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

orl677 wrote: »

Has anyone spotted the following character around over the last few months, i've seen her a few times myself, twice up around Dorset street and once walking down O'Connell Street.
    Its a woman, maybe late 30s, who looks, hmm i'd say content in her own world. Im not being mean now when I refer to her at all, im simply intrigued. She wears (im not joking) PINK, head to toe. Same outfit everytime i've seen her. She was wearing a pink wooly hat, pink jacket, top, trousers, leg warmers, runners.. quite a sight to behold I must say. For some reason I would just be fascinated to know anything about her, fair play to her and her love of the colour :)
    Could be Mick Wallace!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

orl677 wrote: »

This her?

175796.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Degsy wrote: »
    This her?

175796.jpg

Lol at the file name. That woman has been knocking around years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orl677

Degsy wrote: »
    This her?

175796.jpg

how about that file name yeh :P.. That could well be her, I think it really could be actually.. only thing is she's quite toned down there, you should have seen her in her head to toe pink ensemble, quite something! I hope she's well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kiri

Adding to the list would have to be .... The street photographer (when people didn't own cameras) who used to be on O'Connell street between the Savoy and The Happy Ring house,or on Carlisle Bridge ! ! ! ,, He always said "Ya get the picture now! ":) He was a refugee and lived well into his 90's Arthur Fields was his name I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Jedward deserve a spot on this list I suppose:p

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There was a 'lockhard' who used to play with rolled up newspapers waving them as he guided the drivers into the parking spaces on stephens' green .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Pat Ingoldsby is a bit of a legend at this stage. Really nice chap - as cranky as a bag of cats, but can be very entertaining when the mood strikes him. His poetry can be very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone come across the girl that sits in mc donalds in rathmines all day chain smoking outside and looking like she is completely lost? i was sitting there a few weeks ago when a staff member dropped a tray near her.
    she jumps up and says sorry about that even though what had happened had nothing to do with her
    an old haggard woman with a plastic bag full with the little sachets of milk and sugar is with her a lot. 2 strange individuals but harmless all the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Rathmines is full of characters. The rather large woman who drags around an old school dublin trolley, dressed in shiny pink dresses, always wearing tehnicolour socks and some sort of knited hat.

The tall man who can only be described as having a funny walk. He drags his left leg as though it's a dead weight and moves his whole body in a circular motion. He moves about 10 foot a minute. Every time I see him I wonder how long it takes him to get where he's going.

There's plenty more. Spend a half hour in the charity shops and you'll see some interesting people.

Have to say I love Rathmines though. Full of all sorts

Advertisement