Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhones - has to be too good to be true

• 12-07-2019 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

New online shop, with an address at 77 Camden St.

https://arphoneshop.com/product/1432/

https://www.facebook.com/arphones/?ref=br_rs Facebook page is only a few days old too.

Has iPhone x starting at €449, which is crazy cheap. My better half took a walk past the address earlier and saw no trace of a shop, so I'm far too cagey to take a punt on it.

but posting this *just* in case they're legit and someone can confirm it's the deal of the century!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

magentis wrote: »
    Run away.
    towards my credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Buy it for the craic and get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭dodzy

Ehhhh... no, not legit...

Do you seriously believe there was even the slightest chance?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

dodzy wrote: »
    Ehhhh... no, not legit...

Do you seriously believe there was even the slightest chance?!!!

Why not?

The phone is coming up on 1 year old in September. It’s value has dropped since then. We’re 2 months away from new iPhones.

Apple doesn’t reduce the price of the products on their online store during the year but there is a strong chance resellers can get their hands on stock for a lower price 10 months after its been released.

Can’t speak for the legitimacy of this seller but it’s not as big as some of you are making it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Only 1 review so far but expect more.

https://www.yelp.ie/biz/ar-phones-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

"All of our products are clearly marked with grading"

Doesn't say they are new anywhere just this. Could that explain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

sugarman wrote: »
    ...its still a €1200 phone new though, used ones are selling for min €700 on eBay.

Theres no way theyre legit selling them for €450, even used.

Theyre either fakes, stolen or most likely a total scam, albeit one gone to good lengths.

Its an iPhone X, so almost 2 years old and also discontinued by Apple. The current model is the iPhone XS which will soon be replaced.

It looks dodgy all the same but a second hand iPhone X isn't worth much more than that and once the new one is out in September they'll probably be in or around that price everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Its an iPhone X, so almost 2 years old and also discontinued by Apple. The current model is the iPhone XS which will soon be replaced.

It looks dodgy all the same but a second hand iPhone X isn't worth much more than that and once the new one is out in September they'll probably be in or around that price everywhere.

The genuine phone looks like a scan if they can be sold for a third the price two years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Most products are much cheaper when they have been used for two years, hardly a scam lol

Even worse. A two year old used phone for four hundred odd quid.

Head examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

sugarman wrote: »

Means nothing, it's registered a month. Easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mad that in this day and age people can still be so gullible. Someone on the Electric picnic thread paid via Skrill for etickets to be transferred to them. There are no etickets for Electric Picnic. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's a bloody scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

sweetie wrote: »
    If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's a bloody scam.

As members of the duck-collecting community know all too well, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I always wondered about these type of scams and why they make it such a low price that people couldn't but know it's a scam.....but here we are.

Seriously you will never be able to buy an iPhone which is less than 12 months old for anything like that money.

Apple phones and laptops hold their value better than anyone else really.

I always wondered about these type of scams and why they make it such a low price that people couldn't but know it's a scam.....but here we are.

Seriously you will never be able to buy an iPhone which is less than 12 months old for anything like that money.

Nintendo hold its value also

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Don't understand how. Current gen of Macbooks are badly made with poor cooling and purposefully designed to be extremely hard for user to replace things like the SSD drive (soldered to the board needlessly)

This isn't less than 12 months old though, its almost 23 months old. Whether its worth it or not is a different question.

Apple hold their value well alright, much stronger than any other phone but I'd be confident you'd pick up an iPhone X for less than €500 when they new one comes out. You'd be mad to spend that on one IMO but you would be able to get one.

To me this is priced close enough to its actual value that I think its not too obviously a scam. CEX looking for €800 for one is more of a scam to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

tried to order 127 of them for 57k they have them in stock... nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

dave1982 wrote: »
    tried to order 127 of them for 57k they have them in stock... nice one

I got €20billion of macbooks in my basket. What a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

This isn't less than 12 months old though, its almost 23 months old. Whether its worth it or not is a different question.

Apple hold their value well alright, much stronger than any other phone but I'd be confident you'd pick up an iPhone X for less than €500 when they new one comes out. You'd be mad to spend that on one IMO but you would be able to get one.

To me this is priced close enough to its actual value that I think its not too obviously a scam. CEX looking for €800 for one is more of a scam to me.

My bad on the time line. Feels like the X was announced only a year ago but yeah there's a model since.

You might see a second hand X in poor shape for less than 500. Might. Still be very difficult to find a good one and impossible to get a new one.

Still think this is a pretty obvious case.

Way less than anywhere else. New company just recently set up that you haven't heard of before. Apparently no sign of where the shop should be.

Red flag after red flag.

I think the idea is to put it at such a price that someone feels like they've found this unbelievable deal and if they don't move quickly they'll miss out.

Most people will see it for what it is but you don't need to catch everyone for a scam to work.

• Advertisement

My bad on the time line. Feels like the X was announced only a year ago but yeah there's a model since.

You might see a second hand X in poor shape for less than 500. Might. Still be very difficult to find a good one and impossible to get a new one.

Still think this is a pretty obvious case.

Way less than anywhere else. New company just recently set up that you haven't heard of before. Apparently no sign of where the shop should be.

Red flag after red flag.

I think the idea is to put it at such a price that someone feels like they've found this unbelievable deal and if they don't move quickly they'll miss out.

Most people will see it for what it is but you don't need to catch everyone for a scam to work.

Yeah this has all the hallmarks of a scam to it alright but I was just pointing out to everyone saying its a 1200 phone that its far from it.

I think people have a tendency to over estimate the value of iPhones. As someone else mentioned, CEX are selling this phone for €800ish but only offering to buy it for €500. I'd say that value is about right, its worth about 500-600 range IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

The address, 77 Camden Street, appears to be short term office accomodation and pop up shops that disappear and resurrect regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Business registered 16/05/2019, website registered On:2019-06-10
    It looks dodgy as hell. If they were selling one or two items I'd say fine, they're probably low quality "refurbs" where they get a motherboard of a damaged phone and add non-OEM screens, cameras, batteries, etc. But they purport to have a large inventory and supply wholesalers. Smells like a scam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement