Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bord Gais advice for payments

• 17-03-2020 11:09pm

Hi all, I was on the Bordgais website and they have a section about covid19 and how to pay your bill etc, anyhow the advice is to pay online, unless you have a prepay meter, which I do, then the advice is:

"To buy credit for your Pay As You Go electricity meter all you have to do is bring your the card for your meter, together with your payment to your nearest Pazone, PostPoint outlet. The minimum credit purchase amount is €10 and the maximum credit purchase of €250"

Now I live in a rural area and if I have to self isolate, there is no way to get credit to keep the lekky on to feed both my nebuliser and my cpap machine, not to mention all the other essentials, fridge, cooker, lights etc etc. I have been hounding Bord gais for years (at least 8) to enable me to prepay my lekky online and I always get the same crap answer, "we are looking into ways of implementing that option in the future", I am fairly sure we could buy phone credit online 20 years ago, so why the delay? why put people under unnecessary duress during this time of uncertainty? how hard can it be to implement such a service? the mind boggles at their ineptitude and their apathy. it's bad enough that the nearest pay zone is an 18km roundtrip, I am fairly stressed about it, luckily I have a few quid in the meter, but that won't see out the month. not sure I would be in a position to get someone to go for me, that is my big concern. Anyone have a view on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As far as I know the physical card has to be updated with the older meters they have at least which means that there is basically no way to do any update without a mag stripe encoder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

You could try the Self-Isolation Help group that's formed on Twitter over the last few days - Just volunteers but they might be able to arrange to top up your card. https://randall.ie/help/

If you think you've COVID-19, perhaps agree to wash it down with alcohol swabs or something like that and leaving it for collection. They will only pick up / drop off to your doorstep or gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

These problems are all quite soluble and controllable. There are a number of options. Contact your electricity supplier over the next few days for help and advice.

These problems are all quite soluble and controllable. There are a number of options. Contact your electricity supplier over the next few days for help and advice.

I did, they didn't.

when Christmas comes around, I use my Tesco vouchers for double fuel value, I go through the process on Tesco website, then I ring Bord Gais 3 or 4 times till I get someone who knows what they are doing (seriously, you would not believe the incompetence) they then give me a code to put in the meter and all is well. they must be the only company whose (prepay) customers cannot pay online, ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement