Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wikipedia Mess-Up?

• 10-05-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

People say Wikipedia is unreliable and I'm beginning to see why - unless, of course, this is fact... :)
    Kenny,who became a devout scientologist in the early 1970s started his career as a TV broadcaster when he became one of the presenters of RTÉ's award-winning thrice-weekly Today Tonight current affairs programme in the mid 1980s.

Hmmm....

Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty more goof-ups/pranks on Wikipedia - would love to see some :)!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

In 1951, Hubbard formed Scientology,
    http://www.gbs.sha.bw.schule.de/tsld051.htm
    other sites say 1954

What's wrong with it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Wikipedia found unreliable! READ ALL ABOUT IT! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Page 3: Nekkid OP doesn't know how to cite properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

From the same link:
    Pat Kenny (born January 29, 1978)

So unless our Late Late Show host is 18 years my junior, I think someone is having us on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

The first question to come into my head was "Why would anyone want to look up the Plank in Wikipedia??"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondo ftw.
    "Mondo", popular tabloid nickname for Cathal De Buitleir (1988-) one of Ireland's most notorious youth gang leaders. The teenaged North Dublin criminal came to Irish media prominence with his ongoing appearance in spoof RTE reality televison show "Daddy, There's a Pikey In My Class", a fly-on-the-wall documentary series following De Builteir's misadventures in an exclusive South Dublin boarding school. Despte numerous allegations of criminal activity made against him, De Buitleir has yet to face a court, due to his habitual intimidation of both State witnesses and members of An Garda Siochana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The first question to come into my head was "Why would anyone want to look up the Plank in Wikipedia??"

My thoughts exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Joys of Wikipedia. They're changing the log-in/registering system because they may have libelled someone due to what was written about said person...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Wikipedia themselves can't really mess up. The whole idea of a Wiki is that anyone can edit or create new information, that's how it works.

I could say Britney Spears was born in Dublin, it's me being stupid, not Wikipedia messing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

There's plenty of non publicly editable encyclopedias such as Britanica, although these require payment AFAIK, so i suppose if your not happy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

very interesting stuff i found in the edits page
    This began an intense and bitter rivalry with Late Late Show host Gay Byrne. The rivalry extended to the production crews, which resulted in each show's (female) producers being involved in a cat-fight in the RTE canteen. Both producers were given suspended sentences.

Nickname in college was "The Plank" because of his tendency to 'get wood' at inappropriate times. Is reported to have bedded over 40 show girls. Was once a trainee priest, but was forced to leave the seminary over allegations of sexual relations with a nun. Was once suspected of being "The Midnight Commando", a Batman-style vigilante who fought night crime in late 1970s Dublin Once claimed to have travelled to space in "a giant hat". No-one believed him. Except Sven. Was recently associated with huge shipments of rhoyhypnol into Ireland Sleeps naked in a polythene bag which he believes gives him great sexual prowess. Hobbies include bending hot ones into unsuspecting interns. Reputed to have introduced the phrase "sweating like a rapist" into the vernacular after using it while he thought that the mike was off on his morning radio show. Likes to get bonged up when he has some free time. Is very superstitious and insists on eating a newborn baby mandrill before each episode of the Late Late Show. Has been known to do his weekday radio show in the nude on occasion. Avid music fan who has a record collection of over 120,000 albums. His lifes ambition is to meet and interview Mr. David Hasselhoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Kenny as a longtime journalist, though able to handle 'heavy issues' is seen as 'a prick' and 'trying too much' when he moves to lighter topics

roffle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

NoelRock wrote:
    People say Wikipedia is unreliable and I'm beginning to see why - unless, of course, this is fact... :)

So your IP address is 194.125.35.26 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

''Nickname in college was "The Plank" because of his tendency to 'get wood' at inappropriate times'' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

bounty wrote:
    very interesting stuff i found in the edits page
    that is back up again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Like putting Banphrionsa from boards.ie as one of the Bubbles aliases is an obvious screw-up. Or is that on Bikipedia? Or both? Like so much for validity and reliability.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Like putting Banphrionsa from boards.ie as one of the Bubbles aliases is an obvious screw-up. Or is that on Bikipedia? Or both? Like so much for validity and reliability.:rolleyes:
    Heh, I laughed when I read that on the biki page.

Now saying that Derek Mooney suceeded the Plank as Late Late presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thats the biki.. The general feeling from the reports posted is that Bubbles did it however since BanPhrionsa claimed to have done the incident until Bubbles gets back and denies it we have to assume that both are the same people. :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

On IMDb it says he was called 'The Plank' because of his goal keeping abilities.

• Advertisement

where on imdb is pat kenny?

Bond-007 wrote:
    where on imdb is pat kenny?
    Pat Kenny: The Motion Picture, coming this fall!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

When and where did Banphrionsa claim to have done any incident? Produce the proof! She did not claim to do anything!:mad:

Please god no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When and where did Banphrionsa claim to have done any incident? Produce the proof! She did not claim to do anything!:mad:
    Change it if it isn't true... that's the whole point of Wiki.

Hobbes wrote:
    Thats the biki.. The general feeling from the reports posted is that Bubbles did it however since BanPhrionsa claimed to have done the incident until Bubbles gets back and denies it we have to assume that both are the same people. :p:D

Claimed to do what incident? She did not claim any of this mess. She was falsely accused, libeled, and her board name defamed. Show proof that she claimed to have done something that directly and without a doubt justified her being libeled as an alias of Bubbles?:mad:

Change it if it isn't true... that's the whole point of Wiki.

Like correct me if I am wrong, but does this suggest that there is absolutely no responsibility for defamation of character, specifically libel, for those that administer, moderate, or post to Wiki (or to Bikipedia, or boards.ie)?

This sounds like a very interesting case to be tried to establish law affecting the Internet and WWW? I'll bet that there is a large legal firm out there someplace that might just take such a case pro bono in the interests of establishing case law, as well as furthering their reputation? And if not a law firm, then perhaps a law school that would find this case very instructive for their students?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You're still going? Jeez..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just noticed this one today (football fans only really):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grzegorz_Rasiak

• Advertisement

Those Wiki Nazis have put protection tags on Planks article to prevent editing! Fools!

Advertisement