Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your impression of Aspergers syndrome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A number of posters on this very board have it and they are a mixed bag.

A relatives son has it a friends grandson has it I work with a couple of people with it. I notice some of those with the condition are prone to online trolling for the sake of attention seeking as they seem unable to interact with people in a normal way.

My impression of these people is that they are very annoying and emotionally immature. They may seem intelligent but they seem to panic when they have to do anything outside their narrow comfort zone.

They seem to mess up all relationships and friendships that is if they can even form them in the first place. They also come across as selfish and weird and they can ask the same question over and over again as if looking for reassurance.

Despite the PC version of the syndrome these people seem prone to mood swings and bursts of anger if they are pushed too far outside their comfort zone.

What are your impressions of people with Aspergers am I being unfair or am I being truthful?

Are these people weirdos creepy and annoying?

After posting all of that I'm not sure if you understand the term trolling.

Someone's having a bad weekend that's for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Tbh , you're an expert on the topic in how it is for you , not for everyone else with a diagnosis of AS . No two people are the same in how it affects them .

The original post is how I have been described.;)

Did you read all my posts or just the first one?

Your right not everybody is the same but there are common traits and I know many Aspies at this stage.:)

I started this thread undercover and I was busted a few posts in I was trying to gauge what the general population believed.

Somebody said it was a disease for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Very stupid original post, quite deceitful, especially at a time where others are working quite hard to get people on the spectrum with a foot in the door to big business ect.

Ironically it's quite self serving and seems to be the OP looking for reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ExoPolitic

There are theories that it has a genetic component as it appears to run in families, so not all stay single.

I can indeed confirm that it runs in families...

mikemac2 wrote: »
    If someone has a diagnosis for Aspergers and acts like that in the workplace do they get a free pass? Can’t discipline me, it’s my condition

No people with Aspergers are bad socially they don't get a free pass they usually get fired.

https://www.autism-help.org/story-adults-employment-autism.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,815 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

The original post is how I have been described.;)

Did you read all my posts or just the first one?

Your right not everybody is the same but there are common traits and I know many Aspies at this stage.:)

I started this thread undercover and I was busted a few posts in I was trying to gauge what the general population believed.

Somebody said it was a disease for example.

I have read all the posts , and I wasn't trying to be smart or funny with you . Yes , there are common traits , but you said you are an expert on the subject , and I said yes , in relation to yourself . You wouldn't be an expert on mine or anyone elses child with AS .

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I can indeed confirm that it runs in families...

Not all the time it doesn't, it can be generic but it's not the only source of it.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Very stupid original post, quite deceitful, especially at a time where others are working quite hard to get people on the spectrum with a foot in the door to big business ect.

Ironically it's quite self serving and seems to be the OP looking for reassurance.

Posts like the one below are why I started the thread just trying to clear up the misinformation a lot of people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

There is an ASD thread on boards, i suggest ye read it and see the troubles that people encounter.

I have read all the posts , and I wasn't trying to be smart or funny with you . Yes , there are common traits , but you said you are an expert on the subject , and I said yes , in relation to yourself . You wouldn't be an expert on mine or anyone elses child with AS .

Never claimed to be but I know a hell of a lot more than all those posters with their false outrage.
    My whole purpose for this thread was to hook people in who had false misconceptions about Aspergers and correct them.

For example, it is not a disease or a mental disorder.

Having a few outraged people in the thread correct misconceptions was also useful.
    Yer Da sells Avon blowing my cover was not.

I was posting in a thread from another Aspie over the weekend and he was posting rubbish and using his Asperger's as an excuse that is what motivated me to start this thread.

• Advertisement

Posts like the one below are why I started the thread just trying to clear up the misinformation a lot of people have.

You could have been transparent and still had the right conversation. The post you highlight is actually in support of people on the spectrum and the worst crime they made is mislabelling as a disease.

I know for my daughter id rather have people be sympathetic/empathize and willing to work with her than writing her off from the get go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Never claimed to be but I know a hell of a lot more than all those posters with their false outrage.
    My whole purpose for this thread was to hook people in who had false misconceptions about Aspergers and correct them.

Eh, you described people with aspergers as 'creepy', 'weirdos' etc. You either started this thread to troll or you yourself have a pretty warped and nasty view of those with aspergers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

One thing I consider very unfair for those on the spectrum is that while it is known that they have problems communicating, somehow the "normal" people who are experts in communication are unable to understand them.

Would you say a deaf person is to blame if they can't hear you?

batgoat wrote: »
    Eh, you described people with aspergers as 'creepy', 'weirdos' etc. You either started this thread to troll or you yourself have a pretty warped and nasty view of those with aspergers.

Aspergers is a communication disorder at its heart and the post I have just quoted from you proves not only have you not read all of the thread you have not even read all of my posts in the thread.

How Ironic.:D

One thing I consider very unfair for those on the spectrum is that while it is known that they have problems communicating, somehow the "normal" people who are experts in communication are unable to understand them.

Would you say a deaf person is to blame if they can't hear you?

To counterbalance that part of the right education for people on the spectrum is to help them to communicate appropriately.

You cannot cover all scenarios hence why having some support in a working environment is required however it's not a free pass for really bad behavior .

Having a few outraged people in the thread correct misconceptions was also useful.
    Yer Da sells Avon blowing my cover was not.

I was posting in a thread from another Aspie over the weekend and he was posting rubbish and using his Asperger's as an excuse that is what motivated me to start this thread.

I don't think anyone has posted with false outrage .
    Your opening post was quite dismissive , name calling etc .

If your cover was not blown , would you have continued to 'hook' in people as you put it ?Instead of being open and honest and willing to answer questions or try enlighten others about AS .

If your cover was not blown , would you have continued to 'hook' in people as you put it ?Instead of being open and honest and willing to answer questions or try enlighten others about AS .

You mean boring and dull the thread would have dropped off the board.

The post disagreeing with my first post has 16 thanks and I find that quite encouraging.

But my cover is blown and this thread now has a lot of attention if you have any questions ask away.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

<SNIP>
    Jack Moore wrote: »
    shes a teacher
    teachers know everythiong

A teacher. Yes. One who has taught students who are mildly on the spectrum. And those who are so far on the spectrum that they’re borderline for continuing in mainstream education.

Aside from the experience I have in teaching students with ASD, I had to study a huge amount of psychology of adolescence and education, and any professionals that we engaged with considered ASD to be a diagnosis or disorder, not a disease.

You can’t catch Aspergers or Autism. Calling it a disease is derogatory, IMO.
    No, not a doctor but he is correct.

She ;)

sullivlo wrote: »
    Technically, yes. If we’re getting into specifics anyway ;)

A teacher. Yes. One who has taught students who are mildly on the spectrum. And those who are so far on the spectrum that they’re borderline for continuing in mainstream education.

Aside from the experience I have in teaching students with ASD, I had to study a huge amount of psychology of adolescence and education, and any professionals that we engaged with considered ASD to be a diagnosis or disorder, not a disease.

You can’t catch Aspergers or Autism. Calling it a disease is derogatory, IMO.

She ;)

Do forgive me.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Aspergers is a communication disorder at its heart and the post I have just quoted from you proves not only have you not read all of the thread you have not even read all of my posts in the thread.

How Ironic.:D

Well, at least a lot of people got very passionate about defending people on the spectrum.
    So the OP definitely doing what you thought it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The post disagreeing with my first post has 16 thanks and I find that quite encouraging.

But my cover is blown and this thread now has a lot of attention if you have any questions ask away.:)

No one will bother as you were deceitful in how you started this thread.
    Little boy cries wolf as they say.
    You've probably done more damage than good now in how you went about this.
    What you should have done is told the truth and let other posters tell their experiences.
    Now people are skeptical of what and won't believe anything you post now.

One of the best AMAs boards has done was with a young lady who was on the spectrum. People were genuinely interested and asked her questions.

She didn't have to be dishonest to keep people interested.

Well, at least a lot of people got very passionate about defending people on the spectrum.
    So the OP definitely doing what you thought it would.

Thank you that was part of it I also wanted to hook in those who have false misconceptions and have them corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Agreed. Indeed the opening post was quite disingenuous considering many of us had already read posts by him where he sharply put down another poster who said he had AS and went on to say he had it too. So saying any cover was blown is waffle, as he made it public quite clearly himself.
    I'm loathe to partake in the discussion, as the motives are blurred.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Thank you that was part of it I also wanted to hook in those who have false misconceptions and have them corrected.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who are on the spectrum.

I watched “Atypical” on Netflix over the midterm. A great show - gives a good insight into some of the challenges faced by those on the spectrum.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who are on the spectrum.

I watched “Atypical” on Netflix over the midterm. A great show - gives a good insight into some of the challenges faced by those on the spectrum.

Calhoun wrote: »
    One of the best AMAs boards has done was with a young lady who was on the spectrum. People were genuinely interested and asked her questions.

She didn't have to be dishonest to keep people interested.

This is After Hours the home of Dole bashing trallever bashing and outrage politics.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And don't mind some people, they're just looking for a reason to jump down your throat, twist your arguments and engage in faux outrage, even though they're not affected, know anyone who is or have even the slightest clue about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I have a question, open to anyone really, but since you’ve used the term a few times now - what’s the deal with ‘Aspies’? Personally, I find it cringe inducing as it comes off as some sort of an attempt to create a community of people with commonalities where there really aren’t any as I’ve never met two people who had been diagnosed with AS who had anything else in common other than they had been diagnosed with AS.

As for the diagnosis of AS itself, I could take it or leave it, I don’t have any issue with it one way or another that I don’t also have with diagnoses of autism in adults and children, namely that they’ve widened the criteria to be so broad now that pretty much anyone could be diagnosed as being autistic.

• Advertisement

Why would it be boring and dull ?
    To be honest and open would have gained you a lot of respect for saying how it is for you , but instead it seems to have had the opposite effect .
    I wish you well , I have no questions for you that I haven't already asked my own child .

Advertisement