Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC EPC3925 "Bridging" Guide

• 28-06-2012 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭

Here we go lads, lemme know what you think:

If8l2.jpg

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Great guide thanks. What is the wireless range like on the WNDR3800

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

So how are you accessing things behind the WNDR from outside the LAN. I have been using 192.168.0.1 for the UPC and 192.168.1.1 on for my devices with DMZ. Never have been able to access my NAS from outside the LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends on your NAS. What you dont want to do is DMZ it, but allow it to be dialled on the ports it needs open. Thats a NAT/IP Passthrough issue.

With the WNDR you also have the option to mount a drive(or several) as NAS space and remotely connect to it with their Readyshare Cloud.

If its a NAS that can use an FTP client, find a good one, set it up, and then give it a port to use. For example if it was 6123 then you could ftp:83.200.300.40:6123 and it give you access (made up IP). As this is still "findable" to the outside, give it decent usernames/passwords.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Great guide thanks. What is the wireless range like on the WNDR3800

Thx

Cant be totally sure as due to where the drops were installed I ended up having to put both boxes in an alcove thing like below. The back corner has concrete around it as well as the brick, and there's a steel chimney on the left. Not idea, but such is bungalows. All that being true, it still covers the area it needs to, which is the main portion of the house. No one AP could ever cover the entire plot so we have two old routers covering the rest.

559157_2260786857291_1930088934_n.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Great thread. I've done something similar myself. Personally as far as getting a decent router I recommend. (images are clickable)

The Asus RT-N16 (I use this at the moment, brilliant device)
    P_500.jpg

or

The Linksys E4200 V1 (There's a newer V2 but you cannot use custom firmware on it)
    31tq9QisaPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then I recommend this custom firmware:

tomato.jpg

Also see here for more info on the variants.
    Also see here for discussions.

@Doylers, if you have a router that can run custom firmware, such as ^^ Tomato, you can quite easily setup a VPN and connect securely straight to your LAN from anywhere.

• Advertisement

Tomato is one of the reasons why I bought the 3800 as its compatible, but as of yet I've not really needed to install it so I havent bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Or you could just ring them and give them the MAC of your own router, ask them to set the Cisco to proper Bridged Mode and they will do it for you.

testicle wrote: »
    Or you could just ring them and give them the MAC of your own router, ask them to set the Cisco to proper Bridged Mode and they will do it for you.

And kill the phone line....

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Hi Ed,

Smashing guide .... wanted to do one myself, but you beat me to it :p

Just one thing that I - personally, and perhaps others may like to do as well - is in the case where you have a router already set up using 192.168.1.x as subnet subnet it is a lot easier to change the Cisco3925's LAN subnet instead of having to change your existing networks IP addresses (obviously if you have any static IP addresses maintained - which I have many off like e.g. NAS's, print server etc.) .....
    This is obviously not an issue if you a) have no static IPs defined or b) if you do not already have a router/network set up.

Just my 2 cents worth .....

Cheers,
    Stone

Yeah, thats true. As we were abandoning our own router in the process I didnt come at it that way, but yeah, makes sense. Set up the APs as statics but thats a two second jobbie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Have you got any more information regarding this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It looks from your instructions that this has no impact on the UPC phone line if done correctly... just wanted to confirm before going ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

It looks from your instructions that this has no impact on the UPC phone line if done correctly... just wanted to confirm before going ahead :D
    Phone works after doing this!

Yep, phone(s) works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Whenever I've rang upc support asking them to bridge the 3925 router they refuse, saying that the option isn't available. If you know of some way or person to talk to for enabling it, please let me know :)

I know it's technically possible just fine with the hardware, but the interface has it locked out and support just log in on the same interface so it obviously needs a different config pushed to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Tango One

Nice guide say but I want to keep the 3925 as a wireless router and run 100m of CAT6 to another wireless router. Would I just setup the first router to use a set IP range then use the DMZ option for the other router and set that up for a different IP range? or just allow the 3925 to do all the routing

Tango One wrote: »
    Nice guide say but I want to keep the 3925 as a wireless router and run 100m of CAT6 to another wireless router. Would I just setup the first router to use a set IP range then use the DMZ option for the other router and set that up for a different IP range? or just allow the 3925 to do all the routing

In that case you dont want to "bridge" at all. Just set the second router not to DHCP and to have a static IP(192.168.1.253 say) and then it'll act as a wireless extender. If you're doing intensive stuff then the EPC may still cause trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

When I "kill the DHCP" does that mean change connection mode form DHCP to static IP?

If so, what values do I set for the following fields?

Internet IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:
    Default Gateway:
    Host Name:
    Domain Name:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    MTU Size:

Cheers.

Seaneh wrote: »
    When I "kill the DHCP" does that mean change connection mode form DHCP to static IP?

If so, what values do I set for the following fields?

Internet IP Address:
    Subnet Mask:
    Default Gateway:
    Host Name:
    Domain Name:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    MTU Size:

Cheers.
    tCh9w.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Sorry lads but what exactly is bridging?

• Advertisement

Modem+Router -> Modem and router separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

This isn't working for me.

I've disabled the DHCP server under Setup-Lan Setup.

Added 192.168.1.27 to the DMZ and enabled it.

On my router(RT-N16) I have DHCP enabled.

On the router I have under WAN IP Settings:

IP: 192.168.1.27
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server1: 8.8.8.8
    DNs Server2:8.8.4.4

All the traffic seems to die as soon as it hits the EPC, although when I assign my PC a static IP address while connected to the modem I can use the internet fine. Any ideas?

Edit: Resolved, had obviously changed a setting somewhere in the past that was interfering with it. Factory settings and started over and its good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

ED E wrote: »
    Modem+Router -> Modem and router separate.

Ok so I have turned of my wifi on my cisco and connected the internet into my own router? Thats bridging?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Hi, I wonder if you could tell me where I'm going wrong. I have the EPC and a Netgear WNDR 3700.

I can follow the instructions perfectly when it comes to the EPC. I have disabled wifi, set up the DMZ using .2 as the IP as per your instructions, and killed DHCP.

I reboot the EPC but what next? How do I configure the Netgear router? Do I need to attach it to the EPC already? If so, when I try to access the config at 192.168.1.2 nothing connects.

Should I connect the Netgear to my laptop and configure it via ethernet? Any help much appreciated because the EPC is doing my head in, it's such a piece of crap.

Hi, I wonder if you could tell me where I'm going wrong. I have the EPC and a Netgear WNDR 3700.

I can follow the instructions perfectly when it comes to the EPC. I have disabled wifi, set up the DMZ using .2 as the IP as per your instructions, and killed DHCP.

I reboot the EPC but what next? How do I configure the Netgear router? Do I need to attach it to the EPC already? If so, when I try to access the config at 192.168.1.2 nothing connects.

Should I connect the Netgear to my laptop and configure it via ethernet? Any help much appreciated because the EPC is doing my head in, it's such a piece of crap.

Yep, to clarify:

Configure both routers separately via cable. The last step is to connect the two.

Thanks. I'll give it a bash tomorrow.

And is the 192.168.2.1 IP address on the router in the image correct? It's supposed to be different from the 192.168.1.2 in the DMZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, to clarify:

Configure both routers separately via cable. The last step is to connect the two.
    Which cable? The LAN cable or the slightly thinner one that goes in the DSL input?
    Also, my 'bridge' router doesn't have any designated WAN input. There is a DSL input and 4 LAN inputs, all the same...

I tried a 'bridged' setup from the EPC3925 to my Vodafone HG556a, connecting the LAN1 port on the EPC to the DSL on the Vodafone router using the thinner than LAN cable, but no internet. The internet connection would default to the Vodafone router homepage when I tried to load a webpage.

Does it matter which LAN connection I use on the EPC, with regard to the settings in the tutorial?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Jonathan wrote: »
    Have you got any more information regarding this?

Cant verify this for home but for all of my business connections all I do is ring them when I order and tell them I want it in bridge mode and during the install they give me two ciscos, one bridged for internet and one (or more) for the phone lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

I tried with my BT-Vorager router as well, but no success.

Ed-E: shouldn't the IP address for your 2nd router be .1.2 not .2.1? It makes sense to me that it would match the DMZ addy. Also, could you add your administrator -> DCHP (static) settings for the EPC to the guide please? I think this is where I'm going wrong as I'm taking a guess on these.

Advertisement