Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange behaviour by new tenant

• 11-02-2019 9:12am

So recently a new housemate moved in. In the house about 3 weeks and has only slept there once. He has other things going on and see his kids regular enough. Strange thing is, he took a week to move his stuff, comes and goes for about 5 mins and only slept in the house once. He says he stays mainly with his girlfriend, would anyone else find this strange? No food or shower items in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pays the rent n never around - sounds like a perfect housemate to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

If they paid their rent on time I would consider it happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s an address so she can claim lone parents allowance and probably get a leg up the housing list too.

He lives in his home with his family but is using your address to defraud the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s an address so she can claim lone parents allowance and probably get a leg up the housing list too.

He lives in his home with his family but is using your address to defraud the state.

Rather expensive way to scam an address, most others just use parents or friends addresses.

Some people have strange lives and once they are paying the rent don't worry about it, if he starts getting mail regularly from outside the country it would be time to start worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Paying for a house he doesn't use so he can scam a house for free?

How much is lone parents allowance versus his rent?

• Advertisement

My rent isn't cheap so i can't see him gaining much from it to be honest. But what your saying makes sense if its to speed up getting on the housing list

GreeBo wrote: »

Thats what i am thinking, i am charging 550 plus gas and electricity, so it could work out at close to 600 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 23,100 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Didnt know conspiracy theories were posted here!

Del2005 wrote: »
    Rather expensive way to scam an address, most others just use parents or friends addresses.

Some people have strange lives and once they are paying the rent don't worry about it, if he starts getting mail regularly from outside the country it would be time to start worrying.

As in drugs in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Is there a strange smell outside the room? He could be growing special plants? Dodey stuff in the post? Doesn't seem right to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

GreeBo wrote: »

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    My rent isn't cheap so i can't see him gaining much from it to be honest. But what your saying makes sense if its to speed up getting on the housing list
    Thats what i am thinking, i am charging 550 plus gas and electricity, so it could work out at close to 600 a month

Minimum lone parent is €229.80 p.w

stevek93 wrote: »
    Is there a strange smell outside the room? He could be growing special plants? Dodey stuff in the post? Doesn't seem right to me

No strange smell.
    It was suggest to start worrying of stuff starts arriving in the post, this hasnt happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

No strange smell.
    It was suggest to start worrying of stuff starts arriving in the post, this hasnt happened.

Probably won't smell anything yet being 3 weeks, check has your electricity consumption increased is the meter flying around? A friend of mine had an incident whose new housemate moved in with the intention to set up a grow room in the bedroom he was swiftly booted out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Are you the owner?

GingerLily wrote: »
    Are you the owner?

yeah, he hasnt been in that long yet, it just seems very odd to pay a deposit and rent and then only stay one night. He said he is staying in his girlfriends

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sounds like the perfect tenant !

I would not worry to much yet 3 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of developing a new routine .
    I suspect that over time he will fall into a routine that uses the house a bit more .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Seeing as it’s near impossible to line up moving out date to move in date there will often be 1-2 weeks paying rent on 2 places. I’ve had a landlady asking me why I was never around and was I cancelling the move, well I was paid up in the old place and in no rush

I think next month he’ll be around more often when things are more settled and he gets into a routine

Until then you have the dream lodger

Thanks for the replies

Maybe i am getting a bit anxious as to why he hasn't properly moved in. Could be totally genuine.

I'll see whats it like in a month or 2 whether or not i should be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So recently a new housemate moved in. In the house about 3 weeks and has only slept there once. He has other things going on and see his kids regular enough. Strange thing is, he took a week to move his stuff, comes and goes for about 5 mins and only slept in the house once. He says he stays mainly with his girlfriend, would anyone else find this strange? No food or shower items in the house.
    Has a new place, has stuff in new place. Is slowly adding stuff to new place so the girlfriend doesn't see sudden change in the amount of stuff he has in the house.

I'm thinking that he's planning on splitting up with his girlfriend?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I still remember the plastic bag scene vividly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

keeffo2005 wrote:

You're going to charge him €50 a month for gas and electricity and he's hardly been in the place?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

He’s probably going to bump you off and assume your identity. You heard it here first!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Klonker wrote: »
    You're going to charge him €50 a month for gas and electricity and he's hardly been in the place?!

If you never use gas there is still a standing charge on meter. It’s new tenants problem if he doesn’t use it. I’m sure it was agreed before hand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Standing charge is about 7 a month, for the entire house though

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

it was the same last time I moved, I still had my old place and a lot of food there.. Rather than moving everything over right away I moved some stuff and then stayed in my old apartment until I had finished all the food (there was a 3 week period where I had access to both my new and old place) and then moved.

My new flat mate did react similar to you and asked why I was never around and why I hadn't brought any food yet.

Don't worry about it, as long as s/he pays and doesn't do anything illegal I don't see why you should care. Renting a room/apartment does not mean you must live there, my friend has a house in the country side but also rents a room in city center.. He's rarely there but sometimes if he's working late he will stay the night, I imagine his flat mates might be confused about this as well if he didn't explain it to them (and why would he have to?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Klonker wrote: »
    L1011 wrote: »
    Standing charge is about 7 a month, for the entire house though

Doesn't really matter if it was agreed before hand though that the bills would be that.
    Whatever about electricity the apartment still costs the same to heat with one or two people so op shouldn't be out of pocket just because the tenant doesn't want to use that heated space.

Advertisement