Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance

• 31-01-2019 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/gals

My wife suffers from epilepsy for the last 24years. Last years how allowqnce was stopped after they decided that she was able to work (all without asking for gp letters or medical proof)
    Upon appeal where we sent in letters from hospital and neurologists and the like it was reinstated.
    Now today we have received another letter from the lovely department stating that her eligibility to receive disability allowance is under review.
    Guess they love to stress people out(which brings on seizures)
    I dont get what they are at

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ride her like horse

Yeah the filthy scum who run the department of social protection are slowly but surely copying the UK system. Universal credit will be here by 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yeah the filthy scum who run the department of social protection are slowly but surely copying the UK system. Universal credit will be here by 2025

Didn't they send out a letter a few years ago to the mum of a downs child asking if he still had the condition? I totally understand that some people's disabilities might improve but you would think that these questions would never be asked for something like downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

The appeal judge said he couldnt understand why she was cut off in the first place. Her epilepsy has been getting steadily worse. The fact it was only given back earlier in the year and know they want to review it again is what is confusing and infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The appeal judge said he couldnt understand why she was cut off in the first place. Her epilepsy has been getting steadily worse. The fact it was only given back earlier in the year and know they want to review it again is what is confusing and infuriating

Ombudsman complaint. Whilst sending this review (questionnaire I assume?) back include a copy of a letter written to local TD’s, Rté and national press. They’ll back down pretty quickly. Rumour is the Department is under pressure by a certain company it entered into a contract with to get them clients. Improving economy is apparently costing them. That’s all I’m going to say.

The department is using dirty tactics to cut people off by sending letters dated up to two weeks previous with a 21 day deadline to have them returned and despite recorded deliveries of return later claim they never received it. Instantly suspend and then reinstate claiming it was found.

Take a look at the below for a person I recently helped with this. Who received another letter this morning. There’s no mention either of withdrawal of disability allowance in the first letter. First letter received 27th of November and second on the 16th of December. By the looks of the letter too (barcoded) they appear to be randomly generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

the review letters are random and because its a means tested payment, they want to make sure your still financially eligible same as any other means tested payment

• Advertisement

wifey28 wrote: »
    the review letters are random and because its a means tested payment, they want to make sure your still financially eligible same as any other means tested payment

They have all her details and mine for that fact. My point is it was done last year and caused no end of stress when they cut her off and gave it back under appeal. Surely they have notes from this appeal on her account and shouldnt be sending it out again to go through same rubbish for the next 6 months

but that review was last year, yourincomecouldhave changed since then putting you over the treshold for DA. As with anymeans tested payments they are subject to review from time to time, not on medical bases but onfinancial basis. If you dont comply and give them the details they are looking for they will cut you off.
    You cant claim harrassment as they do this to everyone. When my hubby was onjsa he got 4 reviews in 16 months, its just luck of the draw if you are selected.
    I myself was on DA for 18 months and got 2 reviews during this time also

Reviews are a part of means tested payments especially. If it bothers you so much then apply for invality pension which is non means tested, but she will need to have prsi credits for i believe the last 5 or so years to be eligible, but this is also reviewed from timeto time, aswith any socialwelfare payment

but that review was last year, yourincomecouldhave changed since then putting you over the treshold for DA. As with anymeans tested payments they are subject to review from time to time, not on medical bases but onfinancial basis. If you dont comply and give them the details they are looking for they will cut you off.
    You cant claim harrassment as they do this to everyone. When my hubby was onjsa he got 4 reviews in 16 months, its just luck of the draw if you are selected.

Reviews are a part of means tested payments especially. If it bothers you so much then apply for invality pension which is non means tested, but she will need to have prsi credits for i believe the last 5 or so years to be eligible, but this is also reviewed from timeto time, aswith any socialwelfare payment

Our income hasnt changed and they know that as we are both unemployed. Its disability allowance it should be based on ability to work but sadly its not. Cant do invalidity as she has never worked due to her disability. They have these notes frm the appeals which states in the letter of review which they received that her situation hasnt changed from when she was granted the disability allowance at the age of 18.
    My point is if its all done randomly by computer then they can block certsin accounts from being checked very easily. If its done by a person then they are clearly not reading the notes.
    Stress brings the seizures on so I would like to thank the department in advance

Its not just a temporary disability she has its permanent so should be done on medical grounds

Its not just a temporary disability she has its permanent so should be done on medical grounds

it is based of both medical and financial grounds. As its means tested, so they have every right to audit you every 3 months if they so wish to confirm you are still finacially eligble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

it is based of both medical and financial grounds. As its means tested, so they have every right to audit you every 3 months if they so wish to confirm you are still finacially eligble.

Ive never seen them ask ever ask for financials. It is always “aha a cheater disallowance/suspension” followed by a granted appeal and a Father Ted slam on the table response “here take your blood money”

They’ve suspended people in the past for literally having typos on their medical reports. In one case the doctor misspelled schizophrenia

Ive never seen them ask ever ask for financials. It is always “aha a cheater disallowance/suspension” followed by a granted appeal and a Father Ted slam on the table response “here take your blood money”

They’ve suspended people in the past for literally having typos on their medical reports. In one case the doctor misspelled schizophrenia

i was asked twicein 18 months for financial details, bank staatements, payslips if working, proof of hubbies jsa. allinthe form of a 'review'

Again they have all our income as I am listed on her claim and we are both unemployed and even when I was working last year we were still under the threshold. And with bith our savings which they are aware of we are still under the threshold by an awful long way.
    In the letter from the appeal judge it says that her disability isnt going to improve and shouldnt be taken off disability allowance in the first place.
    But hey we not playing the system unlike others so will just deal with it and send them off same letters as before and then repeat it ad nauseum while she has more seizures from the stress of it all.
    You can keep spouting that its on medical and means tested grounds but the clue should be in the name disability should take precedence over everything else especially when it has already been proven

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Our income hasnt changed and they know that as we are both unemployed. Its disability allowance it should be based on ability to work but sadly its not. Cant do invalidity as she has never worked due to her disability. They have these notes frm the appeals which states in the letter of review which they received that her situation hasnt changed from when she was granted the disability allowance at the age of 18.
    My point is if its all done randomly by computer then they can block certsin accounts from being checked very easily. If its done by a person then they are clearly not reading the notes.
    Stress brings the seizures on so I would like to thank the department in advance

Something has happened to bring you and your wife to their attention. It could be that someone has maliciously reported that your wife is not as ill as she says or not ill at all. Or that she is now working or you are working or that you’ve come into some money.
    The Dept have to act on these reports. As others here are saying, you are on a means tested payment so they have the right and a duty to review your entitlement if they think they need to.
    The important thing is to respond as quickly as you can and send them whatever they require so as to avoid getting cut off.
    If you go to your local CIC they will help you to deal with it and you could ask them to write a letter which will be from you explaining how stressful you find all this and how your circumstances haven’t changed in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ride her like horse

This proves that it's rubbish when welfare bashers on after hours claim that they know perfectly healthy people who have been on DA unchecked since the 90s

splinter65 wrote: »
    Something has happened to bring you and your wife to their attention. It could be that someone has maliciously reported that your wife is not as ill as she says or not ill at all. Or that she is now working or you are working or that you’ve come into some money.
    The Dept have to act on these reports. As others here are saying, you are on a means tested payment so they have the right and a duty to review your entitlement if they think they need to.
    The important thing is to respond as quickly as you can and send them whatever they require so as to avoid getting cut off.
    If you go to your local CIC they will help you to deal with it and you could ask them to write a letter which will be from you explaining how stressful you find all this and how your circumstances haven’t changed in recent years.

Report us for what? I was working which they were aware of now I am not which they are also aware of. They have all my wifes medical reports from their last "review" and she has actually got worse since.
    We have responded to them and included everything we did last time and also a copy of the succesful appeal that was lodged with them

This proves that it's rubbish when welfare bashers on after hours claim that they know perfectly healthy people who have been on DA unchecked since the 90s

it can happen, my mams been on invalidity since i was born 31 years ago now, shes never had a review come in the door.

In fact her last review was actually jsut before she was put on invalidity and it was an illness ben review where the guy told her outright she sohouldbe on invaidity and he swapped her over to that from illness without her even needing to apply. But she does have a lifelongillness that is progressively getting worse.

Report us for what? I was working which they were aware of now I am not which they are also aware of. They have all my wifes medical reports from their last "review" and she has actually got worse since.
    We have responded to them and included everything we did last time and also a copy of the succesful appeal that was lodged with them
    When they sent her a short review form to complete and send back they also sent one to her GP. Did she fill hers in and send it back? Did you post those two pics of the letters or was that someone else?

splinter65 wrote: »
    When they sent her a short review form to complete and send back they also sent one to her GP. Did she fill hers in and send it back? Did you post those two pics of the letters or was that someone else?

That was someone else. We got those letters last year. This is a different letter completely

That was someone else. We got those letters last year. This is a different letter completely

Ok I see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement