Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

that may be true, but it's beyond reasonable doubt that more people run reds because they know they'll get away with it.

To be honest I would say bad traffic flow managment is also not helping. The sequence of the lights behind custom house for example if your coming down Gardiner Street is pretty bad most times if your heading towards the bridge over. Many times your stuck on a red there when the other road not only has a green light but the Luas junction before it is red. There's also another set further up Gardiner St which tends to give priority at times to the side road with very little traffic over the main road which has a fair bit. This kind of bad sequencing can lead to bad habits as people will try to get through the light's to avoid being trapped at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Infini wrote: »
    This kind of bad sequencing can lead to bad habits as people will try to get through the light's to avoid being trapped at the junction.

Or just prioritising public transport perhaps?

There are a lot of buses exiting from Talbot Street

Luas also gets priority

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

This kind of bad sequencing can lead to bad habits as people will try to get through the light's to avoid being trapped at the junction.
    A few heads on spikes. That is zero excuse for illegal behaviour. If there's no space to pull to without blocking the junction then you plain dont move .... otherwise hand the driving license in, you'll have done us all a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Anybody else noticing cars who get caught between junctions because they enter yellow boxes, then the lights turn red but they drive through them once pedestrians have passed? I see it every day in city centre and also at the junction where Malahide Road begins in Fairview.

Yellow boxes are largely ignored these days as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you do know of a set of traffic lights where the sequence does not make sense, maybe just email traffic@dublincity.ie and bring it to their attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Driving the other day, turning right from Griffith Ave to Malahide Road, I ended up blocking somebody who was going straight on against me as I had started turning on amber. They hadn't even cleared the footpath on their road. I paused a bit before moving on as they gestured for me to get of their way so they could run the red light.

By the time I cleared the junction, the light was green for Malahide Road traffic but they proceded to drive across six lanes of traffic 'cos they had started to run a red light so they were entitled to continue...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Breaking red lights has become an epidemic in dublin, particular in the city though I see it enough in quiet suburban roads. 3 times in past 5 years I've had near misses crossing road with the green man with zero near misses in previous 26 years...

pclive wrote: »
    Or just prioritising public transport perhaps?

There are a lot of buses exiting from Talbot Street

Luas also gets priority

Ones Im mentioning aren't the ones for the Luas stop its the ones past it on the Y junction directing the flow towards the bridge over the liffey the ones between those at the luas set and the set at the bridge. They actually work against the busses coming out of Busaras too as you can be stuck at that junction while the lights are red at the luas junction and green at the bridge and by the time they switch you get caught at the bridge instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Empty DB collided with a tram on Queenstreet injuring 8 (4 Luas staff) wonder if the lights were red...

https://www.twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1106847358707486720

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Empty DB collided with a tram on Queenstreet injuring 8 (4 Luas staff) wonder if the lights were red...

https://www.twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1106847358707486720

Jesus Christ. Somebody made a grave error there.

My money is on the bus driver. ...????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that must have been quite a shunt to push the luas that far off the tracks.

When I first posted I didn't see the pic. Given the damage the bus must have been going at speed or the Luas was in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Eyewitnesses said the bus had the green light and the LUAS went through their red light.
    Imagine the amount of injury claims are going to be put in by the passengers on both the bus & luas. If it’s true the the driver should get sacked.

the bus was empty, driver only.

I wouldnt be so quick to just play the blame game expecially since we dont know what actually happened or if something distracted the driver of either vehicle.

For all we know the fault could be mechanical as well.

Infini wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so quick to just play the blame game expecially since we dont know what actually happened or if something distracted the driver of either vehicle.

For all we know the fault could be mechanical as well.

I agree still closed and suspect RAIU will be publishing a report.

Its been said online the bus had a green light and judging by damage it appears very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

PWEI wrote: »
    Eyewitnesses said the bus had the green light and the LUAS went through their red light.
    Imagine the amount of injury claims are going to be put in by the passengers on both the bus & luas. If it’s true the the driver should get sacked.

Luas trams don't have regular road traffic lights. They have a basic stop or go line side signal for them. They are normally interlocked to road traffic signals to limit the chances of a collision. Luas and Dublin Bus buses both have forward facing cameras it will be easy to ascertain if their respective traffic signal gave them permission to move off. If they both had a clear signal then there's gonna be problems, big problems ahead.

Luas trams don't have regular road traffic lights. They have a basic stop or go line side signal for them. They are normally interlocked to road traffic signals to limit the chances of a collision. Luas and Dublin Bus buses both have forward facing cameras it will be easy to ascertain if their respective traffic signal gave them permission to move off. If they both had a clear signal then there's gonna be problems, big problems ahead.

Would be amazed if both showed go, most accidents have one party at fault.

One option is the Luas clearance timed out and the tram got caught. Usually happens if the tram is held up and doesn’t move after 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

One option is the Luas clearance timed out and the tram got caught. Usually happens if the tram is held up and doesn’t move after 10 seconds.

They shouldn't but it is possible. One of the reasons why the 2009 Luas crash case collapsed was because the Luas signal was shown that it could have clashed with the traffic signal.

They shouldn't but it is possible. One of the reasons why the 2009 Luas crash case collapsed was because the Luas signal was shown that it could have clashed with the traffic signal.

Not read the report in a few years but the RAIU stated the tram proceeded through a stop signal partly obstructed by sunlight. Guess it will be a year or so before the ultimate cause of this crash is revealed assuming RAIU investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

This happened me the end of Amiens street at Connolly. My light turned green and a tram had just started to cross the junction. Thought it was really odd, I reported it to Luas operations and they said they'd look into it but it never went anywhere after that.

yer man! wrote: »
    This happened me the end of Amiens street at Connolly. My light turned green and a tram had just started to cross the junction. Thought it was really odd, I reported it to Luas operations and they said they'd look into it but it never went anywhere after that.

That junction is the worst and the amount of times the signal times out becauses cars are blocking the box. What you describe sounds like it was passenger at danger unless they were passed it already.

From experience they will have looked into it and disciplined if somebody was at fault.

Luas rely on drivers to report passing incorrect signals. in 2017 28 were reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Surely the traffic light/camera system would pay for itself in no time (especially in Dublin) - works everywhere else in the world, even going past the white line triggers the fine/points. Hell I bet a private company would jump at the chance to provide the cameras on a commission basis
    As a driver I would never go thru even an amber light unless it was literally changing as I was passing but it pisses me off no end when people go thru reds and it's never one, there is always 2 or 3 others following. You're waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing and by the time it's safe the lights gone red for you and there's another rake of cars flying thru. Trucks, buses, taxis - are just as bad and you would think they would be the safest drivers on the roads as their job depends on having a licence. But no enforcement so no one cares.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, there are traffic ANPR cameras installed at the level crossing at Sydney Parade. There are two blue signs either side of the crossing warning motorists of the fact that these cameras can/will be used for enforcement. The one on the Ailesbury Road side is in English and hidden be a tree that is overgrowing the sign. The other one is in Irish.

I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for running the red light. The judgement is red but whether the driver can get across before the gate closes and I have seen some close calls. They can also detect speed, and the speed limit is 30 Km/h, and again many vehicles exceed 50 km/h.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are they Irish Rail ones? As in they will be used if Irish Rail report the issue eg gate strike, that's what I always presumed as the number of chancers says to me it's not automatic or monitored

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CramCycle wrote: »
    Are they Irish Rail ones? As in they will be used if Irish Rail report the issue eg gate strike, that's what I always presumed as the number of chancers says to me it's not automatic or monitored

They are IR, but the notice implies that action will be taken. However, there is no sign of any enforcement - a bit like their approach to fare evasion.

i think IR have cameras at most crossings in dublin, but was not aware that any were specifically ANPR ones.

They are IR, but the notice implies that action will be taken. However, there is no sign of any enforcement - a bit like their approach to fare evasion.
    The train is the ultimate enforcer!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

fritzelly wrote: »
    Surely the traffic light/camera system would pay for itself in no time (especially in Dublin) - works everywhere else in the world, even going past the white line triggers the fine/points. Hell I bet a private company would jump at the chance to provide the cameras on a commission basis
    As a driver I would never go thru even an amber light unless it was literally changing as I was passing but it pisses me off no end when people go thru reds and it's never one, there is always 2 or 3 others following. You're waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing and by the time it's safe the lights gone red for you and there's another rake of cars flying thru. Trucks, buses, taxis - are just as bad and you would think they would be the safest drivers on the roads as their job depends on having a licence. But no enforcement so no one cares.

We have them. They're turned off.

tHwInoQ.pngA88FzQb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I think one of the issues with zero tolerance is that drivers could become paranoid about it and start jamming on on amber with possible rest end collisions ensuing..or not..

Advertisement