Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Do I have to copy everything I write into each post I write? I'm far from the one gunning it.

Then I don't get your point, you said you weren't going to learn the timings of each junctions, I was just saying you really don't need too. Drive appropriately for the conditions, including lights and layout and it should not be an issue.

I don't get your point against cameras either? I really can't see the negatives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

CramCycle wrote: »
    Then I don't get your point, you said you weren't going to learn the timings of each junctions, I was just saying you really don't need too. Drive appropriately for the conditions, including lights and layout and it should not be an issue.

I don't get your point against cameras either? I really can't see the negatives.

A picture can't tell that you've illegally entered a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agree - as a pedestrian along the N11, cars frequently break green men, often at a decent speed as well if it is outside peak times and there is little traffic. Or as another poster alluded to, sometimes after pedestrians have crossed, even if the lights are still green for pedestrians, motorists will just get going again and drive through them. The turn up fosters avenue is particularly bad for this - I would say a car breaks the green man at least once a week that I see there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My other bugbear is the drivers who just have to cross the white line, blocking either bike box area, or the pedestrian crossing area, because they're worth it, I presume. Then they inevitably blame the driver in front, because they got 'caught' in the junction, as if heavy traffic at key junctions during Dublin rush hour came as a total surprise to them.

• One of the causes of the "early red" syndrome it the fact that most motorists are aware that there is a gap in the timings when all lights are red, so they know that there is often two seconds before the next green the opposite way.

Maybe we should introduce the green/amber sequence into this gap, as used in the UK and several European countries, doing this will stop the red jumpers as they know that the cross traffic will appear almost immediately after the red light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My other bugbear is the drivers who just have to cross the white line, blocking either bike box area, or the pedestrian crossing area, because they're worth it, I presume. Then they inevitably blame the driver in front, because they got 'caught' in the junction, as if heavy traffic at key junctions during Dublin rush hour came as a total surprise to them.

Saw a Taxi driver jump out of his car to redirect a blind man around his car after the white cane came in to contact with the car. Pretty disorientating for a visually impaired person when this happens, do you go in front or behind? And then, what's the orientation?

Taxi had no reason to be over the line, just inching his way forward, impeding the crossing for no reason. He manhandled the guy on to the footpath and walked back to the car like some sort of hero. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Utter contempt for a red light for years now as motorists know there is basically no enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

ongarboy wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/we-forgive-you-dad-of-cian-6-killed-at-pedestrian-crossing-tells-dangerous-driver-37637372.html

The reason I'm writing is that I cross the junction of Guild Street and Mayor Street as a pedestrian every day in the IFSC in Dublin and it really angers me the way I see so many cars (mainly those coming from Beckett Bridge/North Wall Quay towards Sherrif St) breaking red lights. This morning, I observed the light going red and not one, not two, not three but 4 cars still proceeded to drive through the junction despite the pedestrian man being green and for which we all had to wait for the cars to pass before proceeding to cross.

I'm seeing this ignoring of red lights by motorists everywhere in Dublin these days. It used to just be amber gambling. Is this an upward trend associated with people's increased sense of impatience or has it always been there? More people will be killed like little Cian as long as this habit is not policed. I acknowledge that cyclists and pedestrians can similarly ignore ROTR but the consequences of a reckless motorist will always be so much worse in these circumstances. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm down there 3 or 4 mornings a week as I jump between our offices and you're not wrong, those lights at that junction that lead you to the back of the convention center, holy sh!t is unreal!

Only a weeks ago I seen it around 8am there, green man, red light, guy starts crossing the road and a car skids and misses him by a foot or 2.

If nearly been hit there a few times too.

It's gotten so much worse, I've adopted a new approach, if someone drives through a red when I cross they'll be getting my lunch / coffee bounced off their car and god love them if they challenge me, just imagine there's kids crossing the road alone/ in buggies, wft are these morons thinking at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Just sen this thread now as I was saying it to a friend last week, we have a dangerous crossroads near us controlled by lights. The amount of people taking the chance on red is madness, like it’s not like they are just over the line they are speeding up when the lights change. This set of lights also has two pedestrian crossings, it won’t be long till some poor unfortunate is sent flying.
    As for the few one way bridge lights/ narrow road they are ignored completely and again at speed.
    Already this year two people have crashed into on coming tractors on one particular bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

However, I can understand why some drivers do it... various light sequences with a 3 or 4 minute wait... you do it three times and you're home 12 minutes earlier. I wouldn't though.
    Part of the reason for the length of sequences is to allow for the rampant red light jumping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Same in Galway. People rush through after they go red and end up blocking junctions and generally causing chaos.

No enforcement but also we are all too accepting of this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The issue with red light cameras is you don't have to stop for them and amber sequences are far too short in most circumstances.

I always watch what's going on around me even if the pedestrian light is green (where applicable). And I constantly encourage my son to do so also. I wont cross a road if i see a car approaching. Even if they'd need to turn onto the road im on and they dont have an indicator on.

you'll generally find they'll flip on the indicator if they think they're going to hit you. Maybe they think it's some kind of immunity switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see drivers now going through red lights every day of the week, not a care in the world.

Agree, no enforcement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the worst junction i know for it is outbound from fairview to clontarf; drivers don't seem to think they've to wait for a green before taking a right onto alfie byrne road - and i'm not talking about gunning it through a couple of seconds after the light has gone red, i mean coming to a stop facing a red, and going 10 or 20s after the light has gone red.
    this is 150m from the front door of a garda station.

A picture can't tell that you've illegally entered a junction.

They can be set to only take photos from a certain point and after the lights are fully changed. They really can do it if set up right. They can also have complimentary video, for disputes, with the caveat of you dispute and are shown to be wrong, the fine is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

I had a taxi driver behind me lean on the horn a while back when I stopped on amber. He then proceeded to swing out to my left, pull along side me, roll down his window, stick his middle finger up at me, and then he drove through on red.

I see it every morning too, worst one for me is New St South/Dean St near St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, where cars swing left on a straight ahead arrow across a cycle track and through a pedestrian crossing. Glasnevin Avenue onto Collins Avenue/Ballymun Road inbound is another hot spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Given that the Gardai are doing nothing about this, we need an IBIKEDublin style team of activists to get on the case. Get out at some of the key junctions with cameras for 30 minutes at a time. Then provide Gardai with a list of reg numbers, dates, times and witnesses.

At least it might embarrass them into doing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's completely unenforced, so the Gardai don't care. You can kill someone doing it and only get "4" years, so the judiciary don't care. Lord Ross got tough on road safety last week by... doing nothing about it, so politicians don't care.

Basically none of the people we pay handsomely to keep us safe cares about this crime so it'll keep on getting worse. It's unlikely that child will be the last person killed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Its getting so much worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

No enforcement = No punishment = No incentive to comply with rules.

That line above is pretty much Ireland in a nutshell. Far too many imbeciles in this country who see this type of carry on as pulling a stroke/fast one or getting one over on someone.

I actually witness it every single day while walking daughter to school and the worst part is the offending cars usually contain child passengers from the same bloody school. Sailing through red lights, round a blind bend knowing there's a pedestrian crossing used mainly by schoolkids and their parents round that corner. (Hint: You've bloody come from there).

You definitely need a big stick approach when dealing with idiots like this. Camera's on all traffic lights and automated violation tickets, fines and summons issues with zero tolerance or leeway for offenders is how I'd go. That or a massive cull of the population. Either would work just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Theres xero enforcement. Between this and people parking on footpaths something has to happen enforcement wise or else people will start taking the law into their own hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

P_1 wrote: »
    Theres xero enforcement.

Had a car pull in on top of me this morning while in the bus lane at Harolds Cross, which then drove the length of the bus lane where she met a Garda standing in the road at the end. He just waved her back into the general traffic lane and went back to the footpath. I understand they don't want to block up the bus lane at rush hour giving tickets, but that lady just illegally undertook 25-odd cars, nearly hit me and another cyclist, and off she goes to work, not a bother on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    They can be set to only take photos from a certain point and after the lights are fully changed. They really can do it if set up right. They can also have complimentary video, for disputes, with the caveat of you dispute and are shown to be wrong, the fine is higher.
    Someone should tell the UK it can't be done, given they've been in operation there for at least 25 years.

They also seem to be able to work at Luas crossings in this State.

The only reason to be anti camera for road traffic offences is to be anti enforcement full stop. Free up resources to deal with the behaviours that can't be enforced with camera's, like the oft quoted on here overtaking lane hoggers, tailgating, not making sufficient progress etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Someone should tell the UK it can't be done, given they've been in operation there for at least 25 years.

They also seem to be able to work at Luas crossings in this State.

The only reason to be anti camera for road traffic offences is to be anti enforcement full stop. Free up resources to deal with the behaviours that can't be enforced with camera's, like the oft quoted on here overtaking lane hoggers, tailgating, not making sufficient progress etc.

Our traffic laws are different to theirs. It's not as simple as the council putting them up because the image will he unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

Our traffic laws are different to theirs. It's not as simple as the council putting them up because the image will he unenforceable.

Not as easy, so let's just drop it altogether, eh?

hognef wrote: »
    Not as easy, so let's just drop it altogether, eh?

I never said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

In answer to the OP - RLJing is getting worse.

The junction from Sundrive Road onto Crumlin Road. Every light sequence you will see about 3 or 4 cars breaking the red. As mentioned previously as well, the light sequence has been changed to allow for this red light jumping. It is being facilitated and is now accepted behaviour.

The pedestrian crossing on Kevin St. Lower coming from Kevin St. Upper - every day the yellow box here is filled with cars, they then cross over the pedestrian crossing without a care whether the green man is lit up. This happens everyday. I queried a Garda about it yesterday - he was on traffic duty beside the light, and he said he was letting the cars go to maintain traffic flow - zero ****s given.

Walkinstown Avenue Junction at Longmile Road, same scenario, lights delayed to allow for constant red light jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yes red light breaking is getting worse, also people breaking red lights and blocking yellow boxes is also very bad blocking flow of traffic, people really need to learn how to use yellow boxes and general refreshment of the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

OP - Maybe a poll would have been better to post to get more responses?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Advertisement

Drove into work today, about 7:15 on the N11. Not one junction went without at least two RLJers. One or two were comical in their lateness. It's always been bad in Dublin but it is comical at this point.

Advertisement