Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Why did RTE hire Darcy when his popularity was in major decline? His Today FM show had lost over 40k listeners when they signed him .

• Do RTE still buy top class shows and stick them on post midnight during the week just to screw over other Irish stations like they used to do with Mad Men?

Yep, Season 4 of Line of Duty is on around 11, Bedtime for me so I can't watch it. If I was going to go the hassle of downloading it, why not just download it from BBC and not have ads to deal with it.

You have no right to complain about content if you are just freeloading when it suits you.

Oh, so RTE is sh!t because its not getting 160 quid from me? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭satguy

While they are all down the bog having a great time spending our money on hotels and fancy dinners.

Did you happen to catch tomorrows RTE 1 schedule ,, See below.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/rte-one/?date=18-09-2019&time=all-day

Remember stuff with an R in brackets is a repeat..

€160 a year for this S*** is day light robbery .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

satguy wrote: »
    Remember stuff with an R in brackets is a repeat..

€160 a year for this S*** is day light robbery .

At least the news isn't a repeat, that's something.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Here is a full list of RTE representation at the ploughing championships.

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/national-ploughing/478419/rte-reveal-schedule-of-events-for-national-ploughing-championships-in-carlow.html
    ***Three-day schedule in full:
    RTÉ Programme of Events*
    Tuesday 17th September
    07:00 Morning Ireland on RTÉ Radio 1
    09:00 The Ryan Tubridy Show on RTÉ Radio 1
    10:30 Mark, The Science Guy from RTÉjr’s, Let’s Find Out
    12:00 Panel (hosted by Nuala Carey): Eat Well/Think Well/Be Well, presented by Healthy Ireland
    13:20 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One
    15:00 The Ray D’Arcy Show on RTÉ Radio 1
    18:00 Six One News on RTÉ One
    *Present the Weather will take place throughout the day.
    Wednesday 18th September
    10:00 Marty in the Morning on RTÉ lyric fm
    15:30 The Sunday Game panel with Marty Morrissey, including Michael Duignan and Dessie Dolan
    18:55 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One
    Thursday 20th September
    09:30 Live Trad Music with The Merry Ploughboys
    13:45 Liveline’s Funny Thursday on RTÉ Radio 1
    15:30 Panel (hosted by Brenda Donohoe): Improved Health & Wellbeing, presented by Healthy Ireland
    18:55 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One

And don't forget for every program there are producers and editors both in Dublin and in Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It is in Carlow. So why does one of the presenters need to stay in a hotel overnight? Its just over an hour from his home.

Is it? You have made that exact journey, you know precisely how long it takes, you have factored in the amount of people who will be in and around Carlow on the roads for one of the most popular events in the country.

Also did it ever occur to you maybe he doesn't have a choice and he has to stay in a hotel.

You show up late for work because of traffic or an accident, it doesn't really matter that much. If a presenter does, the show doesn't go ahead.

Again there is a level of planning and effort that goes into these shows, you don't just rock up at 8.55 and get handed a microphone.
    What commercial value is there?

That's the question I asked you. :confused:

RTE are a commercial entity, who given the challenges do make a fair bit of money.

The shows would be more than likely blocked sponsored as usually happens.

The Show from X brought to you by.....
    Who tunes into the radio to hear the ploughing championships? Anyone interested is probably already there.

Really? Everyone that has an interest is there?

Anyway you said there is 2 morning shows, people from "the country" have car radios, maybe they tune in driving there.
    And why can't they send one reporter and not numerous presenters and a team to support each one? Its just coming across as hugely expensive duplication and unnecessary spending.

How do you know not putting forward a production like they are doing would not cost them commercial revenue?

I'll give you a hint, you don't, you are just whinging and moaning for the sake of it.

RTE have some real problems and challenges, getting outraged because Turbidy staying in the hotel doing his job is just plain silly and offers nothing to debate.

Ironically it's the type of moaning you would here on Duffy's show.

Oh, so RTE is sh!t because its not getting 160 quid from me? I don't think so.

My local chipper is sh!t, does that mean I can go in there when I like and eat for free and complain about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This is an example of how badly run RTE are.

https://extra.ie/2019/07/01/news/irish-news/rte-layoffs-outside-contractors-fees

So lay them off, give them a huge pay off and hire them back as contractors. Brilliant stuff altogether.

Its just a really badly run organisation with next to no accountability.

Says it all really. No one thought maybe we don't need all these staff in the first place but no they act like its still a free for all and continue to employ people probably do nothing than holding a mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

People keep making the mistake of assuming RTE is about value for money or entertainment. It's about keeping itself going in the manner to which it is accustomed.
    When they were taken to task for having little or no independent contractors a gang load left RTE and set up as...wait for it...Independent contractors. That's why most presenters have a production company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

If RTE is supposedly so "unionised" then why arent they threatening strike action regarding proposed cuts? Heaven forgive they go should go to the picket line, crews downing tools forcing RTE into playing endless repeats instead haha.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If RTE is supposedly so "unionised" then why arent they threatening strike action regarding proposed cuts? Heaven forgive they go should go to the picket line, crews downing tools forcing RTE into playing endless repeats instead haha.

at the first sign of industrial action in RTÉ I shall;

immediately buy €100 worth of tomatoes, €100 worth of apples & €50 worth of chicken breast, mix it all together and let it sit in the back garden for about a week or 2. I might also pi$$ in it for good measure.

I'd then take a day or 2 off work (the days they protest), and proceed to spend the entire day driving up and down the road past them throwing the tomato, apple & chicken mixture at them all.

at the first sign of industrial action in RTÉ I shall;

immediately buy €100 worth of tomatoes, €100 worth of apples & €50 worth of chicken breast, mix it all together and let it sit in the back garden for about a week or 2. I might also pi$$ in it for good measure.

I'd then take a day or 2 off work (the days they protest), and proceed to spend the entire day driving up and down the road past them throwing the tomato, apple & chicken mixture at them all.

Out if interest have they ever striked in their history? If not, probably says it all how pampered they have always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Boggles wrote: »
    My local chipper is sh!t, does that mean I can go in there when I like and eat for free and complain about it?

Does your chipper force you to eat their food and threaten you with jail if you dont pay for their **** food even if you dont eat it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Out if interest have they ever striked in their history? If not, probably says it all how pampered they have always been.

1992 was the last time.

Taken from Wiki:
    RTE goes on strike. The strike started on 21 January 1992. Around 1,600 staff at RTE from three unions (SIPTU, NUJ and ETU) had gone on strike over staffing levels at RTE. The dispute began on 21 January 1992 when two person camera crews were introduced without the agreement of the SIPTU union. For nearly four weeks, all live home produced programming on both RTE One and Network Two were axed, with RTE filling its schedules with already recorded home produced shows along with a large amount of imported new programming and archive programming from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, USA and Australia, along with many films. RTE News output on television was reduced to short news summaries. It ended on 17 February 1992 with a resolution reached between the unions and RTE management.[3]

Link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_in_Irish_television

The part in bold is not a million miles away from what they do now funnily enough!!

mzungu wrote: »
    1992 was the last time.

Taken from Wiki:

Not much different to now then!!

Sounds exactly like the Summer schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

RTE are a commercial entity, who given the challenges do make a fair bit of money.

They don't make money, haven't you seen the news? Despite having the licence fee that should cover any shortfall in profits, they're still millions short.

Does your chipper force you to eat their food and threaten you with jail if you dont pay for their **** food even if you dont eat it?

Sorry who exactly is forcing you to have equipment capable of receiving RTE?
    McGaggs wrote: »
    They don't make money, haven't you seen the news?

They do, stop spoofing. They earn around 150m commercially, which is a decent chunk given the challenges of the type of medium and what they have to compete with.

What they don't do is earn enough money to cover their outgoings and that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sorry who exactly is forcing you to have equipment capable of receiving RTE?

They do, stop spoofing. They earn around 150m commercially, which is a decent chunk given the challenges of the type of medium and what they have to compete with.

What they don't do is earn enough money to cover their outgoings and that is the problem.

They get 220 million handed to them.
    Still can't balance the books.

kneemos wrote: »
    They get 220 million handed to them.
    Still can't balance the books.

Yeah I alluded to that in the post you quoted, it was in the last line.

That still doesn't negate the fact that commercially they earn money, the poster I quoted claimed they didn't.

Giving them more money would be just throwing good money after bad.

We know from past experience, the extra money wouldn't be used to fund extra or more quality Irish programs.

It would be used to:
    1. Give Darcy, Tubridy, Finucane et all massive pay increases
    2. Help Amy Huberman relaunch her career for the nth time.
    3. Pay contractors/former RTE employees
    4. Used to give huge payoffs to RTE employees who are then hired back as contractors

How many times now have they laid off people and we were told this will definitely solve all problems. And yet the finances continue to get worse. The example of extraordinary events is one example.

Badly run basketcase which deserves no more money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

If you want to see just how successful RTE is, just think of the following: how many hit shows can you name, which they've made and nurtured, which have penetrated the British market? I mean it's a massive tv market with a shared language right on our doorstep. If RTE really is doing a great job and helping the Irish entertainment industry, then this should be a doddle... *cough*

The money they earn, plus the licence money they get is less than they spend, before Depreciation and interest. They are not making money, they are losing it. Please refrain from further spoofing. Their commercial income is less than half their costs (before special events).

If I buy something for two euro then sell it for one euro, I haven't made a euro like in your logic, I've lost a euro.

The money they earn

So they do earn commercial revenue.

Thank God we reached consensus on that so.

With the amount of rights to sporting events theyve lost over the last few years, surely they should have a massive cost surplus in that area, never gets mentioned.

So they do earn commercial revenue.

Thank God we reached consensus on that so.

But they spend more money on it than they earn. This is a complete commercial failure. Your attitude to success seems to be similar to theirs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They don't make money, haven't you seen the news? Despite having the licence fee that should cover any shortfall in profits, they're still millions short.

Lets not forget how much they earn from the competitions they seem to run on every single show.

They won't disclose it because it's 'commercially sensitive'

For your chance to win a 3 night trip to NYC and $500 spending money, all you have to do is tell us;

Who recently won their 5th All Ireland Football Championship in a row?

Is it;
    A: Dublin
    B: New York
    C: Kilkenny
    D: Sir David Attenborough

Calls cost €1 and don't forget to ask the bill payers permission

The prize might cost them €2,000 all in, but I guarantee they pull in at least 10-15 times that much from the clever bucks that "I know this one"

Over the course of a year, with the competitions run on the Late Late, the Daily Show, the football and wherever else they run them, they're surely pulling in north of €5m per year.

Over the course of a year, with the competitions run on the Late Late, the Daily Show, the football and wherever else they run them, they're surely pulling in north of €5m per year.

I don't really see the problem, how they are any different to the likes of Virgin, Channel 4 or ITV?

Their remit is to earn money to offset costs.

If it is pulling in circa 5 million a year, surely that is a good thing, no? :confused:

I don't really see the problem, how they are any different to the likes of Virgin, Channel 4 or ITV?

Their remit is to earn money to offset costs.

If it is pulling in circa 5 million a year, surely that is a good thing, no? :confused:

ITV made a massive profit this year. A bad comparison.

These companies are commercial entities who know how to make money in good times and bad by offering TV content that people want to watch.

RTE should try it sometime.

Its not as if RTE programs are hugely expensive to produce. Most of them are based on guests from the canteen or radio shows like Liveline.

Its mystifying why RTE cannot turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

marty whelan doesnt want his "lovely livelihood" taken away
    RTÉ is striving to make the cutbacks as it faces unprecedented financial difficulties and Marty doesn’t want Lyric FM, on which he presents Marty in the Morning, to fall victim to the cutbacks.

Speaking to EVOKE he said: ‘I would always be concerned about anything that would take away my lovely livelihood.’

https://evoke.ie/2019/09/17/showbiz/marty-whelan-concerned-lyric-fms

ffs

• Advertisement

ITV made a massive profit this year. A bad comparison.

These companies are commercial entities who know how to make money in good times and bad by offering TV content that people want to watch.

RTE should try it sometime.

Its not as if RTE programs are hugely expensive to produce. Most of them are based on guests from the canteen or radio shows like Liveline.

Its mystifying why RTE cannot turn a profit.

In terms of making money from competitions it was a perfect comparison.

What is a bad comparison is comparing a State Broadcaster in totality with one that isn't.

Silly really, you might as well have compared it with Netflix, which incidentally has been done more than once on this thread.

Advertisement