Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for posting that, it is very impressive for the price. how many cameras and size of HDD did you get for that?

Also, was good to see for me as someone was selling a Kare system locally on Gumtree looking for £140 for DVR with 1tb and 3 cameras, never used. I showed them the one in Amazon and asked was there any movement in price, and got them down to £90, but in the end I chickened out as I thought maybe old analogue systems were not the way to go.

But I might have another think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭reggaeman

I got 2 Dome cameras and DVR/1 TB HDD plus all connections. I'm going to do another video on the night footage. It's very good.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Can you view over the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Any link to the item on Amazon? I'm interested in a CCTV system myself and have been looking around maplins and the likes but there's far too many systems to go reviewing them all.
    I didnt watch the footage yet as I'm in bed and would prefer to watch it on the PC monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Have you a link on amazon please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

nice footage - I be interested in this too

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

corsav6 wrote: »
    Any link to the item on Amazon? I'm interested in a CCTV system myself and have been looking around maplins and the likes but there's far too many systems to go reviewing them all.
    I didnt watch the footage yet as I'm in bed and would prefer to watch it on the PC monitor.

Don't waste your time or your money looking around Maplins. It's a complete rip off.

There's so many standalone HD cameras with pan and tilt and night vision available that can be bought on eBay for around €50 each and coupled with a Raspberry Pi and a home automation system like Homegenie opens a whole world of home automation at a fraction of the price being charged out there.

Do a little research. It pays to choose wisely.

Don't waste your time or your money looking around Maplins. It's a complete rip off.

There's so many standalone HD cameras with pan and tilt and night vision available that can be bought on eBay for around €50 each and coupled with a Raspberry Pi and a home automation system like Homegenie opens a whole world of home automation at a fraction of the price being charged out there.

Do a little research. It pays to choose wisely.

I'm sure it probably does, but you are talking Double Dutch to a lot of people!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm sure it probably does, but you are talking Double Dutch to a lot of people!;)

Not at all. Just tell us what you want and we can point you in the right direction. The amount of rip-off that's out there is unbelievable.

It can turn on your lights, boil a kettle and you can watch this all happening two thousand miles away from home.

Google the Raspberry PI. It's the most amazing piece of equipment designed since the original IBM PC. It's aimed at the educational sector but believe me it can do everything you want and more. You're only limited by your imagination. And your child can program it too.

I'll look into it.

In terms of Home Security and CCTV, how does it fit into all this? What does it replace in a standard system like the one the OP bought?

• Advertisement

Yes. But I only have Internet on my phone so have not got it connected yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I bought this, any tips on how and where to install it.

Well I have the two camera kit and as I've said I think it's well worth the money. You also get free postage from Amazon. It's also excellent for downloading footage to a USB stick. You can look up any time and date in the last 2 weeks and copy that bit you want. You can pinpoint a area you want  to record and it will only record that. The motion detect feture is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

reggaeman wrote: »
    Well I have the two camera kit and as I've said I think it's well worth the money. You also get free postage from Amazon. It's also excellent for downloading footage to a USB stick. You can look up any time and date in the last 2 weeks and copy that bit you want. You can pinpoint a area you want  to record and it will only record that. The motion detect feture is excellent.

thanks for posting the video footage Reggaeman and the links... It looks pretty good for the price... couple of questions if I may (some of which are answered on Amazon, I just want to be 100% sure):
    1) does the hard drive sit externally to the DVR box, or do you slot it into the box
    2) if external to the box, does the HD need a separate power supply.
    3) Do you think it would make any difference to the quality if I installed this internally, looking out through a porch door?
    4) Does the camera need a separate power supply (3 pin plug), or does it get its power from the DVR box?
    5) Is it just one cable per camera carrying video and power?
    6) Did you get a 1 TB or 500GB HD with that?
    7) Are you able to view the images from the camera in real time on a browser - if so how do you chose which camera you are looking at...
    8) Did you get charged any additional VAT or customs duty when purchasing from Amazon

Thanks,
    Muppet Man...

1.  Hard drive fits into the box. The hard drive that's sold separately fits using two screws. But if you buy it with the hard drive fitted it fits better because it's a different size hard drive.
    (2. As 1
    (3. quality is just as good indoors
    (4. My system is for 4 cameras. If you look on the site you will see they have a power plug with 5 outlets. One to power the dvr and 4 for the cameras. So you have power for each camera. Remember you get the cable with each   camera.
    (5. Yes.
    (6. 1TB.
    (7. You can but I have not used it. I don't have a router' just my phone.
    (8.no additional charges. And it was free post. I comes from the UK by royal mail.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thanks Reggaeman - this was helpful.

Muppet Man

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Don't waste your money.

• Advertisement

I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Can you log into it by smart phone

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That's standard for all dvrs now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've been using this for a long while now, and very happy with the results, what do I need to do to enable remote access to the box from an android phone, do I need to open ports on the router, or get a static IP address from the ISP.

Anyone have detailed steps to getting setup online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I've been using this for a long while now, and very happy with the results, what do I need to do to enable remote access to the box from an android phone, do I need to open ports on the router, or get a static IP address from the ISP.

Anyone have detailed steps to getting setup online.

You won't get a step by step anywhere online as each modem is different and each DVR is different too. Unless you're handy enough with that sort of thing you'd be better off paying a pro a few quid to do it. He'd be in/out and done in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I bought an 8 channel H View 1080P with 1 TB Hard Drive & four 2.0mp outdoor cameras and installed myself.
    Paid £141 for it. Got it during black Friday so got nice discount. £195 pounds otherwise. It is literally plug and play. Only manual config I had to do myself was to open the port on modem so as to view online.

Picture quality is excellent and night vision is fantastic. Only downfall of the IR for night vision is the red lights attract loads of flies/moths etc so motion dection at night is useless.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FU7ICEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Nothing wrong with DIY installations.
    I have purchased top of the range systems and fitted myself,without any certification from any Pro company(well,except guidance from a supplier). Saved money..ohohoh, hundreds if not thousands !

I see issues on CCTV instals when required as a legal proof of evidence...
    Like a house alarm that is not fitted by a certain company and/or meeting a specific standard ... will that void the legacy or validity of a claim in case someone breaks in the unit !?

On my home insurance application i ticked that my house has no home alarm despite having better than in some of the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

rolion wrote: »
    On my home insurance application i ticked that my house has no home alarm despite having better than in some of the banks.

Probably better off. If on that one occassion you forget to activate the alarm, you are robbed, you aren't covered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

Probably better off. If on that one occassion you forget to activate the alarm, you are robbed, you aren't covered!!

I spoke with a loss adjuster some time ago, I always thought the above was the best thing to do, until he told me if the claim is big enough, the insurers will send out a loss adjuster and it goes in his report that there is an alarm system in the house.
    He will also note whether it was turned on or off.
    He told me that insurers will bring in the utmost good faith clause and may not pay out the full amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Thanks raggaeman, just bought one.

Advertisement