Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I don’t see any dog being shot.

Yeah he appears to be a stealth dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Find it strange that a Garda would not use a clip on tie, there wouldn't have been a problem, other than the loss of a tie, if he had.

I doubt it. We dont get the full story here.

Who goes to work and wants to put up with that sh*te too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

tuxy wrote: »
    You're right, the travellers do not own the van.

The van had been left with them for repair and it's claimed the detective is helping him get his van back after a dispute over the repair bill.

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/1130/1014383-longford/

Gardaí say a major criminal gang with strong links in the UK was behind the operation of a so-called ‘Chop Shop’ in Co Longford

Dozens of doors and engines for Ford Transit vans were among the items recovered by gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Doesn’t show him shooting a dog it all, just seems that he’s putting one in the fella’s leg for grabbing his tie. The video doesn’t clearly show what happened at all really.

I think the lad who got shot was doing the absolute fool but the idea an armed cop would shoot someone for grabbing his tie is pretty worrying, he had a multitude of options available to him and seemed to jump on the decision to shoot someone pretty quickly. Putting a bullet in a person is a serious thing and in my opinion not an immediate option for general loutishness. That having been said, maybe he did justifiably shoot a dog and the fella took a ricochet. Who knows really?

I’m sure this thread will be full of hearty cheers for a cop shooting a Traveller doing the bollix, but at the end of the day give the state of our police force I wouldn’t be too eager to be lauding them banging people whenever they feel like it. If their reaction to every bit of a scuffle is shooting someone then we’re in for a lot of sh*t in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

FTA69 wrote: »
    Doesn’t show him shooting a dog it all, just seems that he’s putting one in the fella’s leg for grabbing his tie. The video doesn’t clearly show what happened at all really.

I think the lad who got shot was doing the absolute fool but the idea an armed cop would shoot someone for grabbing his tie is pretty worrying, he had a multitude of options available to him and seemed to jump on the decision to shoot someone pretty quickly. Putting a bullet in a person is a serious thing and in my opinion not an immediate option for general loutishness. That having been said, maybe he did justifiably shoot a dog and the fella took a ricochet. Who knows really?

I’m sure this thread will be full of hearty cheers for a cop shooting a Traveller doing the bollix, but at the end of the day give the state of our police force I wouldn’t be too eager to be lauding them banging people whenever they feel like it. If their reaction to every bit of a scuffle is shooting someone then we’re in for a lot of sh*t in future.

All the reporting seems to support the story of a dog being shot dead. So does what the Garda is saying. "I'll put a bullet in him. Get him to let go." And the traveller shouting "watch out, watch out" was likely saying watch out for the dog. I'm curious though, if it was the man pulling his tie down and the Garda was using one hand to hold his gun away and the other to try get the tie back, what were all the options you think he had to take on the two people?

• Advertisement

Right at the beginning of the video, in the first few seconds, the traveller has his left arm on the van but his right arm appears to be holding something nearer to the ground. I think that’s the dog being held.

yeah that response is rubbish

few more armed gardai putting bullets in legs or thighs of anyone who thinks they can put hands on a officer, be no bad thing at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

yet AGAIN, its travellers.

Always effin travellers - if they are not scamming elderly people, they are scamming insurance or thieving from shops or robbing houses left right and centre.

Utter XXXX.

I think the lad who got shot was doing the absolute fool but the idea an armed cop would shoot someone for grabbing his tie is pretty worrying..........If their reaction to every bit of a scuffle is shooting someone then we’re in for a lot of sh*t in future.

If a person pulls a gun, whether legally or not, and you're dumb enough to grab them by the tie.....you deserve to get shot, IMO. Why would you want to get into a 'bit of a scuffle' with an armed guard? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

Of course we can't see a dog in the video.

Screaming Mary there wouldn't show anything from the waist down, lest it portray the actual situation and scupper her compo case.

• Advertisement

See when the camera pans out I don’t see any dog? He video doesnt show any dog at any stage. Surely if the German Shepard had have jumped up and caught the guard’s tie then he’d have been visible? As I said, maybe it did happen and the video is just unclear and misleading - a common occurrence.

What would I expect the guard to do if someone did grab him? Whack him in the face with the gun perhaps? Call for help? CS spray him? A scuffle can’t be reason to shoot someone. I remember seeing a brawl outside a pub and guards were getting grabbed and knocked over while trying to break it up, I wouldn’t have thought that them going around shooting people in the legs would have been a proportionate response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You can train a dog but you can't train....

He had his gun drawn so in that situation I don't see how he could not use it. Especially when it's 2-on-1. They knew he had the gun, he warned them several times to stop and to let go.

How do you know they're travellers? Bit racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

What people are missing here is if your on first name basis with an armed detective your either a neighbor, friend or ...........

These people are known to Gardai, the gaurd would not have produced a weapon unless he had a reason too. There's more to this than meets they eye as usual the recording starts when the Gaurd shows up but no reason as to why he was there

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was the dog hholding the camera? Bit shakey, I've seen worse.

Surely the Garda had good reason to have his gun drawn in the first place. He was then left with only one free hand which he needed to use to grab at his own tie.

These videos only really show what they want you to show. Like c’mon, a fella gets shot in the foot and the woman still just carries on recording! If that were my husband (not that either of us would be in that situation), I think I’d have dropped the phone and ran to help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Pity the bullet only hit his foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

there is no dog, there is no blood on the ground either I think he just fired his gun

unless the dog was coming at him from well behind the van and he figured that i'll kill the dog and that will put a bit of order on proceedings because he is going to attack.

Alternatively his first round was a blank (which I heard on the news along time ago that guards do that to provide a warning shot). he fired a blank round into the dogs face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Listen to it - only one shower of sh1tes talks like that, and they are the scum that cause untold hurt and hardships to thousands of decent people every year.

Ireland's largest criminal group - Travellers

sheesh wrote: »
    there is no dog, there is no blood on the ground either I think he just fired his gun

Why is the mans right shoulder and arm hanging lower than his left side in the first few seconds of the video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I don't know; yer man had the garda by the tie, he was off-balance. If the garda had have ended up on the ground and the dog attacked, he would have been in trouble.

Plus, there was the wife (I presume) and I don't know that status of the fellow in the van, but nothing to say that he might have decided to turn on the garda as well.

If the garda was wearing a tie like that, he may not have been on duty, might not have been able to radio for backup easily. It is easy for us to say at this remove: "Well, yer man was a bollix, but the Garda probably shouldn't have shot him"; a bit different I'd say if you were on your own, surrounded by several people and a big, agitated dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Have Pavee Point released a statement yet?

He had his gun drawn so in that situation I don't see how he could not use it. Especially when it's 2-on-1. They knew he had the gun, he warned them several times to stop and to let go.

Right so because he happens to have a gun in his possession he's obliged to use it? Pretty dodgy logic there mate.

How do I know they're Travellers? The same way I can often tell if a given black person in London is African or Jamaican, by looking at them and listening to them. Am I missing something here like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

See when the camera pans out I don’t see any dog? He video doesnt show any dog at any stage. Surely if the German Shepard had have jumped up and caught the guard’s tie then he’d have been visible? As I said, maybe it did happen and the video is just unclear and misleading - a common occurrence.

What would I expect the guard to do if someone did grab him? Whack him in the face with the gun perhaps? Call for help? CS spray him? A scuffle can’t be reason to shoot someone. I remember seeing a brawl outside a pub and guards were getting grabbed and knocked over while trying to break it up, I wouldn’t have thought that them going around shooting people in the legs would have been a proportionate response.

Once there is a gun involved it's never a bit of a scuffle. What would happen if the other guys de-armed the Guard (he appears to be outnumbered 3-1), no matter whether it's a dog or a person the Guard can't let that happen.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Get Real wrote: »
    Of course we can't see a dog in the video.

Screaming Mary there wouldn't show anything from the waist down, lest it portray the actual situation and scupper her compo case.

Breaking news: Lowlifes use phone camera to record screaming abuse at garda "and me 3 weeks to go to deospital & etc while other guy is being attacked in the van ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That camera 'lady' is a fine specimen of humanity..

What's going on there anyway?

Is the driver of the blue van being assaulted in plain view of an armed guard? And the same lad then grabs the tie of the guard? Seems like a bullet in the leg is justified to me really..

What's this about a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Right so because he happens to have a gun in his possession he's obliged to use it? Pretty dodgy logic there mate.

How do I know they're Travellers? The same way I can often tell if a given black person in London is African or Jamaican, by looking at them and listening to them. Am I missing something here like?

Who said anything about being obliged to use it?

But he should be free to use it when physically threatened and outnumbered no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

More criminals should be shot.

It's the dog thing that's bemusing me more than anything, like how would you even go about making a recording of an armed guard being grabbed by a dog, the dog getting shot and then not have the dog be in the screen once? It's baffling really.

If the guard was grabbed by a German Shepard I wouldn't contest the shooting at all that having been said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why in the world is a Garda wearing a conventional tie when you have scumbags who would try and pull it in a scuffle? Thought they would have clip on ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement