Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remember the late 70s/early 80s?

• 14-11-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

The Dandelion Market, Sir Walter Raleighs for rainbow skins, The Alchemists Head to get copies of the Freak brothers magazines, seeing U2 and The Atrix (I think I still have a copy of “Treasure on the Wasteland”) for 50p in the underground parking lot off Stephens Green, Hijax wine bar on O’Connell street to score hash, Saturday nights in Bruxelles followed by McGonagles and walking home because both of the cities Taxis were nowhere to be found. Having “One from the wood” in the snug at Kehoes, Reggae at the TV Club on Fridays, sneaking in a take out 6 pack to The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Stella (Midnight Express and Taxi driver in Cork), Abracababra at 2.00 in the morning, the Rock in Stephens Green, outrage when a pint went over a quid, The diary of Adrian Mole on the radio, the Letters of Henry Root, Mulligans for the best pints, John Cooper Clarke, Micro Disney, Firstenberg and Colt 45, 24 hour shop in Rathgar, Johnny Foxes during mushroom season, rat fink Haughy, the 5000 quid giveaway on Radio Nova, Nova Park, “Ta said ag teacht” Arran island Guinness ad, Wine coolers, Snake bites, Durban poison (yeah!:D), nightclubs on Lesion St., The Pink Bicycle…………………
    Don’t remember much else but a good time was had by all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

Sounds like you had the charmed life of a southsider in the 70's and 80's!
    Here's the northside version:

No. 19 O'Connell Street for drinks,
    El Toro Bravo on O'Connell St for coffee after a film in the Carlton.
    Lord John's nightclub in Sackville Place to dance to anything by Abba /the Bee Gees;
    Pirate radio stations broadcasting from someone's shed / a derelict building,
    The Indian Bazaar on O'Connell St., where you could get long skirts and patchouli,
    The National Ballroom for a showband, Joe Dolan at the Olympic,
    venetian blinds, plastic fruit, blue eyeshadow, lip gloss and Jackie magazine.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishWhite

Feeling privileged to have a job and working your nuts off because you were positive you were gonna be there for life. Holidays were in Rush Lusk and Skerries not Playa del Finglas Salu or Kusadasi. People only wore there hoods up when it rained. The only time you met a foreign national was when you went to the hospital.Barry Johns on Parnell Street for Fred Perry tshirts, Army Bargains Capel Street for your fishtail parka. Simon Harts for your badgers pinhole loafers or spats bowling shoes etc. Dolphin Discs for your records. Spicburger and chips in Alfie Byrnes or if you did OT that week you might stretch to a mixed grill. Drinking establishments included Coopers the 19th Abraxes, Jaggers, and the Beat Club. Pints of Steiger or Furstenburg or bottles of Carling special brew. No cocaine hash no alcopops no shots pubs had 1 lager guinness and smithwicks and about 5 spirits and snowballs. Happy Days :) and not to forget Sally OBrien and the way she might look at ya. Oh yes and evryone answering the phone and saying "I listen to the red hot sound of sunshine 101".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Iggy Pop wrote: »
    the Freak brothers magazines

:D

Sure there are still some copies left up at my mum's somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Dandelion Market, Sir Walter Raleighs for rainbow skins, The Alchemists Head to get copies of the Freak brothers magazines, seeing U2 and The Atrix (I think I still have a copy of “Treasure on the Wasteland”) for 50p in the underground parking lot off Stephens Green, Hijax wine bar on O’Connell street to score hash, Saturday nights in Bruxelles followed by McGonagles and walking home because both of the cities Taxis were nowhere to be found. Having “One from the wood” in the snug at Kehoes, Reggae at the TV Club on Fridays, sneaking in a take out 6 pack to The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Stella (Midnight Express and Taxi driver in Cork), Abracababra at 2.00 in the morning, the Rock in Stephens Green, outrage when a pint went over a quid, The diary of Adrian Mole on the radio, the Letters of Henry Root, Mulligans for the best pints, John Cooper Clarke, Micro Disney, Firstenberg and Colt 45, 24 hour shop in Rathgar, Johnny Foxes during mushroom season, rat fink Haughy, the 5000 quid giveaway on Radio Nova, Nova Park, “Ta said ag teacht” Arran island Guinness ad, Wine coolers, Snake bites, Durban poison (yeah!:D), nightclubs on Lesion St., The Pink Bicycle…………………
    Don’t remember much else but a good time was had by all!

IrishWhite wrote: »
    Feeling privileged to have a job and working your nuts off because you were positive you were gonna be there for life. Holidays were in Rush Lusk and Skerries not Playa del Finglas Salu or Kusadasi. People only wore there hoods up when it rained. The only time you met a foreign national was when you went to the hospital.Barry Johns on Parnell Street for Fred Perry tshirts, Army Bargains Capel Street for your fishtail parka. Simon Harts for your badgers pinhole loafers or spats bowling shoes etc. Dolphin Discs for your records. Spicburger and chips in Alfie Byrnes or if you did OT that week you might stretch to a mixed grill. Drinking establishments included Coopers the 19th Abraxes, Jaggers, and the Beat Club. Pints of Steiger or Furstenburg or bottles of Carling special brew. No cocaine hash no alcopops no shots pubs had 1 lager guinness and smithwicks and about 5 spirits and snowballs. Happy Days :) and not to forget Sally OBrien and the way she might look at ya. Oh yes and evryone answering the phone and saying "I listen to the red hot sound of sunshine 101".
    You two have just seriously described my life in late 70s /80s dublin :D Remember the band 'Stepaside' ? I use to go see them and all the other bands that were around at the time in the baggot inn and was never out of Bruxelles ,the Baily , Mc Daids....... oh it's all coming back now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God life was crap back then :(

Mike

• Advertisement

followed by McGonagles and walking home ....

to Tallaght. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

latchyco wrote: »
    You two have just seriously described my life in late 70s /80s dublin :D Remember the band 'Stepaside' ? I use to go see them and all the other bands that were around at the time in the baggot inn and was never out of Bruxelles ,the Baily , Mc Daids....... oh it's all coming back now .

[Marks Latchyco down in the little black boardsie book] "........dads age" :D

I'm the son of a former on/off member of Stepaside. Though in Stepasides Heyday which would be the preiod you'd probably be talking about, I think he was with the Gentry or Brush Shiels. The old man is now back gigging with the Paul Ashford band quite a bit after a 15 year Hiatus from the music business. I remember many a Sunday afternoon/evening as a young teen late 80's early 90's spent at the Purty loft in Dun Laoighaire watching them play. Paul Ashford, Brenny Bonass, Robbie Brennan, Mark Costigan, Me 'Oul fella'. Yer man from the Commitments on Trumpet.

Had me first pint under the supervision of the old man aged 16 in the Purty Loft as I recall. Had me first E there a few years later! :o (when it was coverted into a nightclub, not at a Stepaside gig! :D )
    Take a 45 to the Last Resort!

mike65 wrote: »
    God life was crap back then :(

Mike
    If you are old enough to remember that Dublin scene back then you will find it was anything but crap ,just most of us didint have everything handed to us on a plate cuz of the recession (pre celtic tiger ) . :rolleyes: .It was still holy ireland but the PC brigade wasnt everywere .Every generation will say their youth was the best although i have seen quite a few say they would have like to have being around late 70s/80 just for the music alone . Have a look here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwmLCARUsQ

WantedPosterNEW.jpg Psst- I was a skin ,a mod and then a hippe but not all at sme time ;)

Calibos wrote: »
    [Marks Latchyco down in the little black boardsie book] "........dads age" :D

I'm the son of a former on/off member of Stepaside. Though in Stepasides Heyday which would be the preiod you'd probably be talking about, I think he was with the Gentry or Brush Shiels. The old man is now back gigging with the Paul Ashford band quite a bit after a 15 year Hiatus from the music business. I remember many a Sunday afternoon/evening as a young teen late 80's early 90's spent at the Purty loft in Dun Laoighaire watching them play. Paul Ashford, Brenny Bonass, Robbie Brennan, Mark Costigan, Me 'Oul fella'. Yer man from the Commitments on Trumpet.

Had me first pint under the supervision of the old man aged 16 in the Purty Loft as I recall. Had me first E there a few years later! :o (when it was coverted into a nightclub, not at a Stepaside gig! :D )
    Ahaah dads age indeed :D

It was the Paul Ashford, Brenny Bonass, Robbie Brennan, Mark Costigan,stepaside i used to go see and saw them in a few places including the Merion inn and also purty kitchen .I remember Brush and the Gentry to .Paul Ashford was with the Miami for a while to .About 2 years ago I got in touch with Paul through the 'Paul Ashford Band ' website and found out the Stepaside album ' Sit down and relapse ' which i had bought back in 78 was available on cd so i sent off my 12 euros and he posted to me .:)

Catch a 45 to the last resort and also on the cd give me somthing ,get out of Dublin (i did ) always loved you, big star, yellow chair and my Fav every inch .

Very 80's but still sounds as good today as it did back then .Thinking of making a you tube vid with 'Every Inch ' ;)

'' she's got a sister i couldent resist her '' he he :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looking back at the 1990 Stepaside gigs in the Purty kitchen feels like only yesterday. Can't believe that was 18 years ago!! And when I think about it the Stepaside heyday in the early '80's was only 7 or 8 years before that. Nothing when you think about it. Assuming you were in your early 20's back then you're probably actually only about 10 years older than me. So I appologise for the 'Dads Age' joke :o:D

Catch a 45 was actually the only song title I could remember but I immediatly recognised most of the others when you mentioned them. Must have a root through the old mans vinyl collection for that album and give it another listen. Its been years.

Just googled and found the album cover. If thats who I think it is on the cover, I think she used to babysit me (Julie-Ann something or other?? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

Anyone remember the lookalikes band ? High waist baggies, klackers 2 and 2 bars, open back buses, jesus I even got an afro hair do in Valentinos on Grafton St, Loose biscuits, electric milk floats, I even remember the horse drawn premier dairies ones...ahh I feel all warm now !!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ZxqNWKJ-4

Klackers !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMwV62qwoGY

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Looking back at the 1990 Stepaside gigs in the Purty kitchen feels like only yesterday. Can't believe that was 18 years ago!! And when I think about it the Stepaside heyday in the early '80's was only 7 or 8 years before that. Nothing when you think about it. Assuming you were in your early 20's back then you're probably actually only about 10 years older than me. So I appologise for the 'Dads Age' joke :o:D

Catch a 45 was actually the only song title I could remember but I immediatly recognised most of the others when you mentioned them. Must have a root through the old mans vinyl collection for that album and give it another listen. Its been years.

Just googled and found the album cover. If thats who I think it is on the cover, I think she used to babysit me (Julie-Ann something or other?? )
    Aye still not over the hill just yet :D Looking at the cd cover with the girl in question i thought it a little strange ,a bit disjointed lol but it's only a cover .Catch a 45 are words in the song .The title is The last resort . I though they were one of the better bands around at the time .

thelurch wrote: »
    Anyone remember the lookalikes band ? High waist baggies, klackers 2 and 2 bars, open back buses, jesus I even got an afro hair do in Valentinos on Grafton St, Loose biscuits, electric milk floats, I even remember the horse drawn premier dairies ones...ahh I feel all warm now !!:D
    Yes they were one of several northside bands like DC- Nien ,Excentrics , who might have being the next big thing when tons of dublin bands were looking for recording contracts.Lookalikes released a couple of decent singles to .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I liked a band called The Burgulars. Mostly old style busker jazz stuff. There was about 8 of them. Used to pitch up on Nth Earl st when it wasn't occupied by the Dunnes workers protesting. (Next time you hear that goofball Ben Dunne claiming to be a democrat remember the Dunnes workers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Ahhh yes some good memories of Dublin coming back now.

I used to frequent The Ivy Rooms, Bartley's, The Old Chinaman (which was a mad house) and Bruxelles with the mods on one side and the rockers on the other.

There was a pub opposite Bartleys which I can't for the life remember the name of which is/was called The Hairy Lemon the last time I was there about 10 years ago. Anyone remember what it was called prior to that were the punks would drink overlooking the mods hanging out in Bartley's?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

latchyco wrote: »
    I use to go see them and all the other bands that were around at the time in the baggot inn and was never out of Bruxelles ,the Baily , Mc Daids....... oh it's all coming back now .

God, I must know you.. I celebrated my 15th birthday in Bruxelles - for yrs I told the folks I was going to the flics, used to get the bus into town with my mates for 45p and sip one coke for the night and get the last bus home..

Moved on to McDaids and the Bailey and does anyone remember the Source? Near McGonagles I think... (had moved off the coke by that stage, so was always plastered when I did go:D)

I still love Bruxelles but mainly upstairs, went downstairs a while back to reminisce and it was all changed and weird looking:o

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I loved the jukebox downstairs in bruxelles, packed with Rory, Lizzy and Horslips songs. And greasy bastards cutting in front of me at the bar. I seem to remember a nightclub called the Apartment as well, it was heaving with foreign wimmin learning English. I hate to think what they learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

does anyone remember the Source? Near McGonagles I think...
    Wasn't that a basement club on Nassau Street?

Had some memorable nights in McGonagles. My brother started off playing there and the Baggot Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

dSTAR wrote: »
    Wasn't that a basement club on Nassau Street?

Had some memorable nights in McGonagles. My brother started off playing there and the Baggot Inn.

Really dont know - if they played only heavy metal then maybe.. Cant remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 southernman

McGonnagles was on South anne Street.
    Thanks for all the memories folks
    Jeez we must have been all drinking buddies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

bootlegs on o'connell bridge;
    irish mod badges;
    the blades;
    jetpac;
    track and field;
    being in love at 14;
    madness dance at youth club discos;
    kerry dixon, pat nevin and david speedie;
    gregory's girl;
    luminous socks;

take me back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Anyone remember the bands Tokyo Olympics and The Male Caucasians, I still have a Tokyo Olympics album called 'Radio' somewhere at home.

• Advertisement

showry wrote: »
    bootlegs on o'connell bridge;
    k

Lol. There are still a few Smiths and Prince bootleg concerts in my ma's, somewhere. Remember the nice surprise when I discovered that the guy had also recorded some Smith's Peel Sessions on the end of the Brixton '86 concert tape. :)

They always seemed to make the tape inlays out of that crap luminous paper.
    dSTAR wrote: »

There was a pub opposite Bartleys which I can't for the life remember the name of which is/was called The Hairy Lemon the last time I was there about 10 years ago. Anyone remember what it was called prior to that were the punks would drink overlooking the mods hanging out in Bartley's?

The William Tell. :)
    Bearhunter wrote: »
    I seem to remember a nightclub called the Apartment as well, it was heaving with foreign wimmin learning English. I hate to think what they learnt.

LOL. One of me first nightclubs. Think it was on Price's Lane, behind the Bewleys on Westmoreland street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Lookalikes.

Chasing "rockers" (anyone with a leather jacket) down Talbot St when we were punks/mods. :o

Ubi Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Anyone remember bank holiday weekends in Skerries with Horslips playing in Red Island. It had everything then, Horslips in the main hall and 2 disco type bars. I remember the Lookalikes playing in the Crofton Hotel on the Swords Road.

Just read up on Ubi
    Apparently he passed away some years ago following a accident on his bicycle in the Wicklow mountains.
    Sitting on his home made funny cloud now
    RIP Ubi and thanks for the 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

Just got sent this link to Dublin bands in the 80s. Brilliant!

Dublin bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Originally Posted by dSTAR

The William Tell.

Or was it the Pygmalion at some stage?

Great thread this!

Some good (and bad) times had at a lot of the places mentioned here.

And who'd have thought that out of all the great bands mentioned, it would be U2 that would make it....

Down side for me was not having much cash, being in school still, so having to scrounge off mates all the time, and never being able to find a taxi at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

So this is where al the aul'ones are! :p

A bit of blue eyeliner (from Jackie mag) and you were gorgeous!

Getting into pubs at 14, no bother!

Having to lie on the bed to get into your Sasperilla jeans!
    No such thing as skinny jeans, these were sprayed on!

Wearing above mentioned jeans to the roller disco in the Top Hat and go round and round in circles until some lad grabbed ya!

The Dandelion Market, Bruxelles, Baggot Inn and several others, the names didn't matter then!

Some nightclub/pub up Wicklow Street, Rainbows maybe?

Spending hours customising your parka!
    Using paint, permanent markers and Tippex!

Sniffing Tippex on the school jumper sleeve!

Lads wore trousers called "pegs"!

Snakebites that made you violently ill, but were worth it for the craic!

I'm sure there's more but weren't we innocent!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

Getting a bag of chips in Burdocks for the late walk home and still eating them when I got to Coolock :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

stovelid wrote: »
    to Tallaght. :(

Not fun - but yep I remember doing exactly that. If you were very lucky you would get a taxi somewhere around templeogue on it's way back into town.

Advertisement