Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HELP ! Lights turning themselves on?

• 29-03-2020 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Strange problem - I have two lamp posts in the garden, there for years and both lamposts have a normal outdoor socket at the bottom used to power christmas lights and things like that.

yesterday i started using one of the sockets to power a cctv camera, no problem so far. But then, a few hours later i looked out the window and the lights on the lampost were lit up. I tried turning the lights off from the normal rocker switch at the front door and they would not turn off.

The only way i gould get them to turn off was to turn off the 'SWA front garden' tripswitch in the main panel, then i turned the switch back on and all was well until late last night when my daughter looked out the window and the outdoor lamp posts were on again, so i powered it down with the tripswitch and left it off

But worryingly, when the 'SWA front garden' tripswitch is in the off position and i press the normal lightswitch at the front door the lights come on and off as usual and when the lights come on the power sockets at the bottom of the posts also turn on?
    any idea what might be happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭blackbox

You need an exorcist!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

blackbox wrote: »
    You need an exorcist!
    I think i might !, this makes no sense!
    I turned the SWA tripswitch back on about an hour ago, both lamp posts lit up and sockets at the base of each lamp post became active even though the 'normal light switch' was in the off position.

Decided to leave it for a while with everything in this state. just looked out the window there now and both lamposts have turned themselves off and 'normal lightswitch' is acting as it should turning the lights on and off. the same thing happened yesterday, it seemed to fix itself then revert to be always on in the middle of the night.
    i'm sure there is logic to what is happening somewhere but i cant see it..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Quite likely there is leakage or cables damaged and lives touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had something slightly similar with a door bell, it turned out to be woodlice that had got into the bell and were making occasional contacts/shorting it/something. This is probably not a bit helpful!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So in summary when the OP turns off the light switch sometimes the lights turn off as they should and sometimes they don’t. Other times the lights just come in themselves.

As everything else described behaves as it should most likely this is simply a faulty light switch. It may have failed due to switching higher currents than it is designed for i.e. socket loads.

On another note sockets and lights should not normally be on the same circuit. There are exceptions to this but I would doubt that in the OP’s case this is permitted (only a guess based on what has been described).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

2011 wrote: »
    So in summary when the OP turns off the light switch sometimes the lights turn off as they should and sometimes they don’t. Other times the lights just come in themselves.

As everything else described behaves as it should most likely this is simply a faulty light switch. It may have failed due to switching higher currents than it is designed for i.e. socket loads.

On another note sockets and lights should not normally be on the same circuit. There are exceptions to this but I would doubt that in the OP’s case this is permitted (only a guess based on what has been described).

Or witches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Are there separate circuits for the lamp posts, and sockets at the lamps?

Possibly a multi core swa, with separate circuits for lights and socket. Maybe even with the neutral shared, which itself wouldnt likely be the cause, but there may be a core for socket phase, and another for lights, and they are shorted intermittently.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    Are there separate circuits for the lamp posts, and sockets at the lamps?

The 'SWA front garden' tripswitch suggests not.
    Possibly a multi core swa, with separate circuits for lights and socket. Maybe even with the neutral shared, which itself wouldnt likely be the cause, but there may be a core for socket phase, and another for lights, and they are shorted intermittently.

I'm reading this as a new issue with something that worked before. I assuming the wiring has not been altered.

If the lamps were changed from filament type to LED and noise on the neutral is causing this, then maybe.

I'm reading this as a new issue with something that worked before. I assuming the wiring has not been altered.

If the lamps were changed from filament type to LED and noise on the neutral is causing this, then maybe.

OP says with swa tripswitch off, lights still come on. Sounds like 2 circuits to me, from what info was posted.

Bruthal wrote: »
    OP says with swa tripswitch off, lights still come on. Sounds like 2 circuits to me, from what info was posted.

..........I missed that bit! My bad.

• Advertisement

Also, with the swa tripswitch off, light switch still brings on light, and socket along with it.

Sounds like a problem with socket circuit and light circuit shorted if indeed there are 2 circuits, and if it is a single swa to lighting pole, it seems probable be a short where the cores are terminated outside.

All assuming the light switch did just switch the lights originally.

But as with anything diagnosed blindly, many things are possible.

..........I missed that bit! My bad.

I wasnt sure myself, just assuming 2 circuits.

Advertisement