Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan Galaxy chocolate

Options
  • 18-11-2019 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried it ? Going to see if its in Tesco today.

I notice the price is 4 euro for 100G where as the non vegan version is 3 euro for 200G.

Suppose we are paying for extra manufacturing costs... It's positive to see a mainstream chocolate company getting into this... Based on the lead times on Amazon.co.uk looks to be high in demand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Looking forward to trying those. 🍫

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

There are 3 versions in Naas Tesco at 4 euros each

There are 3 versions in Naas Tesco at 4 euros each

I presume most Tesco stores will have them: https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=vegan%20galaxy

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Tried them. Well the nut one. Not bad but it's a bit of luxury at 4 euro !

Creamy and nice. Very tasty. #plantbased

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Had one, it was great. Far too expensive of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 FoodC

I need to try it :)

There is also a lovely chocolate vegan cake in tesco. DELICIOUS but its 10 euro!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Vegan chocolate..... bleurghhhhhh

Gerry G wrote: »
    Vegan chocolate..... bleurghhhhhh

Yeah most "milk" chocolate which is vegan tastes a bit sh1t. Which is good because if it didn't i'd eat more of it. This seems to be closer aligned . Maybe extra cocoa butter?

Anyway I'm looking forward to vegan dairy milk! That will be a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Xcellor wrote: »
    Yeah most "milk" chocolate which is vegan tastes a bit sh1t. Which is good because if it didn't i'd eat more of it. This seems to be closer aligned . Maybe extra cocoa butter?

Anyway I'm looking forward to vegan dairy milk! That will be a challenge

Vego is your man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

There is also a lovely chocolate vegan cake in tesco. DELICIOUS but its 10 euro!!!

Have you got a link to this? Can't find it :(

Unearthly wrote: »
    Have you got a link to this? Can't find it :(

I can't find it either when I'm in next I'll take a picture. Seemed to be made in Ireland. Genuinely nicest I've tasted

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I haven't tried it, was looking forward to it but can't justify spending that amount on one bar so am waiting til its reduced. It also didnt help that my eyes were opened to issues with the parent company slave labour so I am not sure how I feel about supporting it.

I was introduced to a brand called Nomo from Holland & Barrett though which is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

JustMe,K wrote: »
    I haven't tried it, was looking forward to it but can't justify spending that amount on one bar so am waiting til its reduced. It also didnt help that my eyes were opened to issues with the parent company slave labour so I am not sure how I feel about supporting it.

I was introduced to a brand called Nomo from Holland & Barrett though which is delicious!

It’s amazing how many people overlook this with regards their “ethics” once the vegan label is slapped on it.

Similarly the single use plastic wrap doesn’t exactly inspire confidence with regards ingredients (or those concerned about CC for that matter)

KSU wrote: »
    It’s amazing how many people overlook this with regards their “ethics” once the vegan label is slapped on it.

Similarly the single use plastic wrap doesn’t exactly inspire confidence with regards ingredients (or those concerned about CC for that matter)

I don't necessarily think its intentional for most people, especially those transitioning or trying to make 'better' choices - there's a lot to take in :)

KSU wrote: »

The galaxy vegan bar has biodegradable "plastic" . And it makes a point of highlighting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Tired the hazelnut one. It's nice but won't be buying again at that price considering how thin it is. Seems to dissolve into a mushy sugary paste too quickly?
    Definitely better vegan chocolate options out there with lesser known labels. Worth trying once anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Is all dark chocolate (i.e. non milk chocolate) not vegan? It's basically sweetened cocoa ain't it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sometimes it has milk etc in it anyway

fat bloke wrote: »
    Is all dark chocolate (i.e. non milk chocolate) not vegan? It's basically sweetened cocoa ain't it?

Lidt chocolate has milk fat in it. Even dark stuff.

Some chocolate is made in same facilities as milk chocolate is made so potential for cross contamination. This doesn't bother me but there are some purist types that have issues with it.

This is probably why a bar of this chocolate costs double what a standard does...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lidt chocolate has milk fat in it. Even dark stuff.

Some chocolate is made in same facilities as milk chocolate is made so potential for cross contamination. This doesn't bother me but there are some purist types that have issues with it.

How far you gonna take that though, you could take the Carl Sagan we are made of star stuff view of universal recycling, in which case there is no unique matter and every vegetable that exists is "contaminated" by bits of every human and every animal that ever existed.

Does extreme veganism address the fertilization of vegetable plots with animal manure? Those nutrients come directly from an animal and are absorbed by the vegetables.

(Don't mind me. I'm just being a wet Saturday afternoon crank.)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

fat bloke wrote: »
    Does extreme veganism address the fertilization of vegetable plots with animal manure? Those nutrients come directly from an animal and are absorbed by the vegetables.

This has been an issue for me for twenty-odd years and many others for longer; we have been growing veganically all that time, thus making our acre a fertile oasis and wildlife haven amid a beef-induced desert of monochrome green nothingness.

Subscribe to the Vegan Organic Network newsletter for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Tired the hazelnut one. It's nice but won't be buying again at that price considering how thin it is. Seems to dissolve into a mushy sugary paste too quickly?
    Definitely better vegan chocolate options out there with lesser known labels. Worth trying once anyway !

Good to know! Personally, Vego is only one I've remotely liked so far and even that's an odd treat! Didn't like the white one at all though!

Good to know! Personally, Vego is only one I've remotely liked so far and even that's an odd treat! Didn't like the white one at all though!

Vego is so good!!! Love it! Galaxy isn't a patch on it and the only thing it's done has justified the price of Vego :)

Yes, the Vego bar is outstanding. 🍫

Try Nomo, its so lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

One of the wife’s friends brought over 2 of these bars yesterday.

Orange one and salted Carmel.

The orange one is lovely. Would I spend €4 on one? No.

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Try Nomo, its so lovely!

where do you get that one?

Speaking of lovely, has anyone tried the foods of athenry rocky road bar?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    One of the wife’s friends brought over 2 of these bars yesterday.

Orange one and salted Carmel.

The orange one is lovely. Would I spend €4 on one? No.

It makes you wonder who they are aiming this product at. There isn't enough vegans to make it profitable surely... Especially it most are giving out on the price.

Perhaps the hazel nut paste is expensive? Based on the packaging they are reusing the same production line as it says may contain milk so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

It is good to see more options available, however at that price it makes it self not an option. €4 for 100g is a joke.

Advertisement