Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of Warcraft: Classic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Fair few TiG players are rolling Horde on Pyrewood Village. Or being from the north I've called it Palletwood Village. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll be an Alliance Paladin, with the same name as my original character from launch. Would feel weird to be anything else, even though i fully expect to stop levelling him at around lvl45 again (paladin's were ****e at that point).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Reserved my names for this but not really sure how much effort or attention I'll give it. Classic was breathtaking and mindblowing at the time, but I find it dreadful in comparison to retail. And that's saying something, BFA has WoW at it's lowest ebb.

Classic was a great RPG game, but not what I've been doing or seeing wow as for so long now.

Going to play as plenty of my guild and friends are, but have a feeling once it hits the infamous 40 bracket people I play with will start dieing off, and imagine I will too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

TheDoc wrote: »
    Reserved my names for this but not really sure how much effort or attention I'll give it. Classic was breathtaking and mindblowing at the time, but I find it dreadful in comparison to retail. And that's saying something, BFA has WoW at it's lowest ebb.

Classic was a great RPG game, but not what I've been doing or seeing wow as for so long now.

Going to play as plenty of my guild and friends are, but have a feeling once it hits the infamous 40 bracket people I play with will start dieing off, and imagine I will too

What server you playing on DOC? I'm rolling on Pyrewood.

Watched a few streams and it's actually making me want to play again, even though i know i wouldn't stick with it for long.

• Advertisement

I'm on Nethergarde Keep with a few old friends. Feel free to shoot me a PM here, or in-game (Celt#2916)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Will not be able to play till the weekend, but how are people finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i started back today, got on fine till now a 3k+ queue on that village server. It's great to see people around again who actually are on my server. And the thought of never having to look at a world quest again makes me want to play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone rolling alliance on normal pve server with a chilled guild?
    I fancy going over to the other side this time round.

I'll be alliance, but not sure if i want to do PvE or PvP. Good memories of random PvP back in the day, though i suspect it will be worse now with 90% of the PvPers rolling Rogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I decided to give it a try with a friend, the leveling process is rough, even if you managed to find a mob that hasnt been killed by the dozens of people farming them also around you, you have to deal with terrible drop rates on the quest items, partying with a friend makes it even worse.

I wonder what they were doing all these years getting "Wow classic" ready, surely in the state it was in they just had to release the game in the final state it was in before TBC expansion, which they should have in their archives. I honestly thought it was taking this long because they were actually doing stuff :confused:

Outside of that i was enjoying the game more when i hit lvl 10 and was looking over the old talent trees, a lot of OP abilities in them i had forgotten about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

nix wrote: »
    I decided to give it a try with a friend, the leveling process is rough, even if you managed to find a mob that hasnt been killed by the dozens of people farming them also around you, you have to deal with terrible drop rates on the quest items, partying with a friend makes it even worse.

I wonder what they were doing all these years getting "Wow classic" ready, surely in the state it was in they just had to release the game in the final state it was in before TBC expansion, which they should have in their archives. I honestly thought it was taking this long because they were actually doing stuff :confused:

Outside of that i was enjoying the game more when i hit lvl 10 and was looking over the old talent trees, a lot of OP abilities in them i had forgotten about :)

A key difference between Classic/TBC is that you had to be aware while questing, plan your route and be aware of respawns, this isnt something to consider in retail. I made a fresh Monk on retail and was pulling 6+ mobs at once and bored. In Classic, especially as a Warrior I need to carefully pull mobs or run away.

Blizzard spoke about the process quite a lot, essentially the core right problem was while they had the original source code part of the problem was getting it to work on a modern infrastructure and server system. I don't know what 'stuff' you expect them to do, they're committed to making Classic a 'true experience' as close to the original as possible. They have loads of IAMAs done which talk about the challenges.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    A key difference between Classic/TBC is that you had to be aware while questing, plan your route and be aware of respawns, this isnt something to consider in retail. I made a fresh Monk on retail and was pulling 6+ mobs at once and bored. In Classic, especially as a Warrior I need to carefully pull mobs or run away.

Blizzard spoke about the process quite a lot, essentially the core right problem was while they had the original source code part of the problem was getting it to work on a modern infrastructure and server system. I don't know what 'stuff' you expect them to do, they're committed to making Classic a 'true experience' as close to the original as possible. They have loads of IAMAs done which talk about the challenges.

Oh ive no problem with the one mob at a time, thats the way i prefer it also, more challenging, but the quest items for the lvling process is far too rough, and im sure easily tweaked. Keep it rare for the end game quests and crafting materials. I'm just saying the harsh drop rates on the starting level quests so far paired with the massive population is making progressing far too slow.

For example me and a friend were farming tigers yesterday, we needed 4 pelts each, we gave up for the night after about an hour as he had 3 pelts and i had 1.. It was woeful.. They may be have been going for the "true classic" experience but thats no longer possible with the amount of people that play the game now vs back then (at vanilla launch/early days anyway)..

Maybe im alone in this? but i cant see myself continuing for much longer if its this kinda slog all the way up until 60, and i remember back in the day 50-60 was an absolute mare for the xp gains :(:pac:

like lvl 13 nearly on my rogue Hellios the same name i had in bloodhoof at launch i havent joined a guild yet but im really enjoying it very social compared to bfa and talent point every level just feels so rewarding. ah im loving it takes me back to the original days of wow. Probably wont get to play till monday now but it feels like an mmo again and not some endless world quest rep grind.

The game is in the state it was before the TBC expansion, but with massive engine upgrades.

I'm guessing you didn't actually play WoW vanilla based on your replies, because for me it's been a faithful experience (including occasionally abandoning quests due to low drop rates, and getting frustrated at certain classes solo before they get better talents/skills).

The game is in the state it was before the TBC expansion, but with massive engine upgrades.

I'm guessing you didn't actually play WoW vanilla based on your replies, because for me it's been a faithful experience (including occasionally abandoning quests due to low drop rates, and getting frustrated at certain classes solo before they get better talents/skills).

I leveled to 60 in vanilla, two toons actually before TBC hit (didnt get to raid much), i do remember abandoning quests at certain points, but i wasnt doing that in the early levels, not in Tirisfil glades or Durotar anyway..

I'm sure if i wasnt scrounging for mobs it wouldnt feel as bad, i actually got a load of quests done there, but as soon as 18:00 hits its gonna be chockablock until 1am :( And then the weekend :eek:

I'm not saying this isnt how classic was, but with the amount of players now and the amount of players trying to level, maybe it'd be a better experience to increase drop rates on quests, at least for the first few zones until the questing can spread out more..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I leveled to 60 in vanilla, two toons actually before TBC hit (didnt get to raid much), i do remember abandoning quests at certain points, but i wasnt doing that in the early levels, not in Tirisfil glades or Durotar anyway..

I'm sure if i wasnt scrounging for mobs it wouldnt feel as bad, i actually got a load of quests done there, but as soon as 18:00 hits its gonna be chockablock until 1am :( And then the weekend :eek:

I'm not saying this isnt how classic was, but with the amount of players now and the amount of players trying to level, maybe it'd be a better experience to increase drop rates on quests, at least for the first few zones until the questing can spread out more..

They added layers as a way to hold all the players and ensure people could still quest normally, without being over crowded.

Ironically, people complained about the layers because they didn't believe it would be needed.

Finishing work shortly and my plan is to get stuck into it for the night.

The whole point of Classic is to have the vanilla experience (though at an end-of-classic point). That you keep talking about how they should have been improving classic suggests you sort of missed that memo.

I haven't seen people in-game complaining about volume of people, I've seen the opposite - people are delighted that you're grouping with strangers, talking to people, having to ask questions in general. You know, the 'MM' part of an MMO unlike later WoW which was just a solo game with multiplayer elements.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

What realm are people playing on? I'm going to roll Horde and wondering if there is a boards guild ala the old times! :D

• Advertisement

Ivan, there's a northern irish guild playing on Shazzrah I believe. I'm playing with a few friends as horde on Nethergarde Keep as it was the only one with minimal queues.

The whole point of Classic is to have the vanilla experience (though at an end-of-classic point). That you keep talking about how they should have been improving classic suggests you sort of missed that memo.

I haven't seen people in-game complaining about volume of people, I've seen the opposite - people are delighted that you're grouping with strangers, talking to people, having to ask questions in general. You know, the 'MM' part of an MMO unlike later WoW which was just a solo game with multiplayer elements.

Well i talk to people, you seem to try to talk down a lot ;)

And i doubt most people enjoy, or would prefer waiting 5mins for a named mob to spawn for their group to be in with a chance to tag him first :rolleyes:

End game is what people enjoyed with Vanilla, not taking forever to do one ****ty quest :pac:

Been playing on Nethergarde Keep most of the night, really enjoying it and it is bringing back some fond memories, so many people milling about but I am not having any issues leveling or with quests, just hit level 10 after a few hours and enjoying the chat going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

After seeing all the hype I resubbed and joined up on Thursday night. Picked a low pop server (about 4pm) and it's been full each night I've gone back. Decided to roll an undead priest because a). For the horde and b). I've never mained a priest or a healer.

Playing vanilla is tough. I joined wow at Wolk, so I'm used to the slow leveling. But the drop rates are dire! It's great seeing so many people running around, but I think I'd rather be playing Cata or Wolk.

Anyone know why they're doing a server reset every night? Servers were down from 2 until 3 last night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ivan, there's a northern irish guild playing on Shazzrah I believe. I'm playing with a few friends as horde on Nethergarde Keep as it was the only one with minimal queues.

Plenty of Southerners involved too :)

We are on Pyrewood Village.

Well i talk to people, you seem to try to talk down a lot ;)

And i doubt most people enjoy, or would prefer waiting 5mins for a named mob to spawn for their group to be in with a chance to tag him first :rolleyes:

End game is what people enjoyed with Vanilla, not taking forever to do one ****ty quest :pac:
    No, I pointed out that the WoW devs have been clear and consistent on what WoW Classic is, but you somehow missed all that and think WoW Classic should be 'Vanilla revisited and made to be more like later expansions'.

Thanks for telling all 7 or 8 million people who played Vanilla what they enjoyed it for btw, speaking about 'talking down' to people. Just a note: the majority of players in vanilla never even got to experience MC, nevermind more advanced 'endgame content'. There were always far more social guilds than raiding guilds.

Dcully wrote: »
    Plenty of Southerners involved too :)

We are on Pyrewood Village.
    Is this the Unregistered Hypercam one that's on Firemaw now? That's the one I was thinking of when I messaged you! :P It's great if there's two.

No, I pointed out that the WoW devs have been clear and consistent on what WoW Classic is, but you somehow missed all that and think WoW Classic should be 'Vanilla revisited and made to be more like later expansions'.

Thanks for telling all 7 or 8 million people who played Vanilla what they enjoyed it for btw, speaking about 'talking down' to people. Just a note: the majority of players in vanilla never even got to experience MC, nevermind more advanced 'endgame content'. There were always far more social guilds than raiding guilds.

Is this the Unregistered Hypercam one that's on Firemaw now? That's the one I was thinking of when I messaged you! :P It's great if there's two.

Right me saying drop rates should be less cruel is me saying the entire game should be revamped to my liking :rolleyes:

And yeah i missed the meeting where the dev said the drop rates for quests will remain terrible, i prob didnt get the invite because im not a "everything is awesome" fanboy :pac:

And eh, Thanks for telling all 7 or 8 million people who played Vanilla what they enjoyed it for btw :rolleyes:

And eh, Molten core is end game content :confused:

End game = everything you can do at max level.

Or did you miss the meeting where the computer game devs said that? :pac:

I see your comprehension skills are absolutely dire.

WoW devs have repeatedly been clear on what Classic is and isn't. Beyond allowing people to use the more modern graphics engine, it isn't aiming to be anything beyond a faithful recreation of the vanilla experience (though with end of vanilla talents). This has been said many times, publicly, and at great length. That isn't 'my feelings' or 'my interpretation', that's the developers stated aims and intentions.

If you don't like the devs' vision & the finished game, stop posting stupid nonsense and go play something else. No-one is forcing you to embarrass yourself on a public forum.

I see your comprehension skills are absolutely dire.

WoW devs have repeatedly been clear on what Classic is and isn't. Beyond allowing people to use the more modern graphics engine, it isn't aiming to be anything beyond a faithful recreation of the vanilla experience (though with end of vanilla talents). This has been said many times, publicly, and at great length. That isn't 'my feelings' or 'my interpretation', that's the developers stated aims and intentions.

If you don't like the devs' vision & the finished game, stop posting stupid nonsense and go play something else. No-one is forcing you to embarrass yourself on a public forum.

I'm giving an opinion on a public forum, in hopes to start a discussion, pretty much what a forum is for, which you're having trouble grasping/accepting and being a total ass about i may add, tell me, who should be embarrassed?

• Advertisement

Cut out the bickering ffs

Advertisement