Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 barry burp

Gumbi wrote: »
    It depends. I take it as it happens because I know it's just his personality. He's just whacky, loves talking **** and being hyperbolic. That's 100% fine in my book - he's being honest. Whether you like it or not is up to you. Being honest, I think he's hilarious. His manic laugh is the best.
    love the way he fights and im a big fan but the pretentious laugh and constant ****e is getting boring now, I see hes rubbing off on young james Gallagher now, seen him running around thinking hes a mixture of joey b res with the glasses and rockin a primark suit thinkin hes mc gregor and talking in a Dublin accent , seriously, callin all the ammy fighters muck and having an attitude, saying how hes recovering from injury like hes superman, yawn , weve heard it all before james, stay humble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

barry burp wrote: »
    love the way he fights and im a big fan but the pretentious laugh and constant ****e is getting boring now, I see hes rubbing off on young james Gallagher now, seen him running around thinking hes a mixture of joey b res with the glasses and rockin a primark suit thinkin hes mc gregor and talking in a Dublin accent , seriously, callin all the ammy fighters muck and having an attitude, saying how hes recovering from injury like hes superman, yawn , weve heard it all before james, stay humble

I'm pretty much done with this forum now because of what's posted on it. This and the martial arts forum used to be such a hotbed of Irish MMA and Martial Arts. A lot of people just refuse to come here now because of how it's changed.

You've joined this forum with the intention of bashing fighters and people. I also notice you big up Tommy McCafferty in another post. I've trained with Tommy and he's a beast but you must be from that gym , an affiliate of the gym I train with, or the surrounding area. The Gym that James Gallagher trained with before moving up to live with John Kavanagh. Which I would guess you know him, have trained with him and more importantly said all of the nice things in the world to him face to face, but come on here and bash on a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 barry burp

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I'm pretty much done with this forum now because of what's posted on it. This and the martial arts forum used to be such a hotbed of Irish MMA and Martial Arts. A lot of people just refuse to come here now because of how it's changed.

You've joined this forum with the intention of bashing fighters and people. I also notice you big up Tommy McCafferty in another post. I've trained with Tommy and he's a beast but you must be from that gym , an affiliate of the gym I train with, or the surrounding area. The Gym that James Gallagher trained with before moving up to live with John Kavanagh. Which I would guess you know him, have trained with him and more importantly said all of the nice things in the world to him face to face, but come on here and bash on a forum.
    nah I don't train with either or, just by reading his facebook and watchin tommy smash ben davis and also watching artem fight as well , this is where my opinions are from

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: The last thread on this was so much of a disaster that it had to be locked. I don't want the same thing to happen to this thread. We'd rather take a hands off approach in this forum and we'd like to think people in here are adult enough to leave the petty remarks away from the forum. But if that can't be done, then the thread will be locked for good. Don't start all the crap again.

And, @ barry burp, don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I fully agree with what was posted above in regards to the bashing. This forum used to be the best place to post, full of intelligent, well thought out fight discussion, be it international or national. It's becoming like sherdog, everyone posts like they know better than the fighters and trainers and have no problem mindlessly insulting fighters or other posters.

What's the most amazing is that all logic and decency goes out the window any time the discussion points to Connor. Some threads are perfectly fine and some go completely out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

He's likely going to be on the JRE next week. Be interested in seeing him on for two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

and at 34 I just felt younger than at any point in the last 5 years by understanding what you meant by JRE

yay me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Masked Man wrote: »
    He's likely going to be on the JRE next week. Be interested in seeing him on for two hours.

I'll give it a listen. Hoping he has more than himself to talk about for 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'll give it a listen. Hoping he has more than himself to talk about for 3 hours

Yeah will be interesting to hear what they talk about, I have a feeling that the two of them operate on completely different wavelengths. Doubt that Connor has any interest in discussing Bigfoot or psychadelics.

As long as we hear anything other than 'positive thinking' and 'in my eyes I'm already the champ' I'll be happy. I have a feeling they'd spend a good portion of it talking about MMA, which is rarer than you'd think in the JRE.

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Yeah will be interesting to hear what they talk about, I have a feeling that the two of them operate on completely different wavelengths. Doubt that Connor has any interest in discussing Bigfoot or psychadelics.

As long as we hear anything other than 'positive thinking' and 'in my eyes I'm already the champ' I'll be happy. I have a feeling they'd spend a good portion of it talking about MMA, which is rarer than you'd think in the JRE.

Yeah I listen to JRE all the time and there's barely any MMA talk. Even when they have MMA guys on there they end up talking about no MMA related stuff. Particular highlights are guys like John McAfee, Victor Conte, Michael Ruppert etc. Great show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Is Conor confirmed for the JRE?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Love JRE so looking forward to this one. Hopefully we see a bit more to Conor than what we see on the MMA hour and other short interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Xlami wrote: »

Sorry, I got a bit carried away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I'll put you back on the dole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

I remember a time when the Irish MMA community on boards used it to communicate and inform of upcoming events and seminars and the like. The guys who used to post were veterans of one form or another, or at least used to train regularly if not active competitively. Now it seems that all that happens is insults and bashing by people who have no idea of the sacrifice and hard work and suffering (both physical and financial) that goes with being a pro mma fighter in Ireland.
    People coming on bashing one guy or another is beyond childish lads. If so and so wants to wear a tutu and claim to be the next UFC champ fair play to him if he trains hard etc. What harm is he doing?

As regards to Conot McGregor, Stevie Wonder could see what he is doing. Despite what has been posted in the previous thread Conor is a very smart man. He knows this injury has put him out at a most inopportune time in h is career. His career was on the rise so he must ensure he stays relevant and talked about. (Insert Oscar Wilde quote here.) Not that i necessarily agree withthe manner in which this is achieved. I do think the ends will justify the means in this case. I'm sure the lad knows his career may be short so he's gonna try make himself into a brand so he can make as much money off himself as possible. He knows his career could be over tomorrow with any injury. He's only trying to get paid. Also he MADE IT in terms of MMA he's on the big show. The dude is obviously very skilled at what he does. If i was as skilled etc I would release a rap album "biggin' up" my skills nevermind youtube videos. So lads lets not begrudge the lad any success and take everything done with a pinch of salt. There is method to what he is doing. Fair play to Mods for keeping the silliness to a minimum on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

To be fair I don't think no one is bashing Connors skills its more his attitude that people take issue with, which people are allowed have a opinion just like you expressed your just now.

I wish Connor every success but its time for Connor to walk the walk now and fight the top 10 which he is willing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pbee

I remember a time when the Irish MMA community on boards used it to communicate and inform of upcoming events and seminars and the like. The guys who used to post were veterans of one form or another, or at least used to train regularly if not active competitively. Now it seems that all that happens is insults and bashing by people who have no idea of the sacrifice and hard work and suffering (both physical and financial) that goes with being a pro mma fighter in Ireland.
    People coming on bashing one guy or another is beyond childish lads. If so and so wants to wear a tutu and claim to be the next UFC champ fair play to him if he trains hard etc. What harm is he doing?

As regards to Conot McGregor, Stevie Wonder could see what he is doing. Despite what has been posted in the previous thread Conor is a very smart man. He knows this injury has put him out at a most inopportune time in h is career. His career was on the rise so he must ensure he stays relevant and talked about. (Insert Oscar Wilde quote here.) Not that i necessarily agree withthe manner in which this is achieved. I do think the ends will justify the means in this case. I'm sure the lad knows his career may be short so he's gonna try make himself into a brand so he can make as much money off himself as possible. He knows his career could be over tomorrow with any injury. He's only trying to get paid. Also he MADE IT in terms of MMA he's on the big show. The dude is obviously very skilled at what he does. If i was as skilled etc I would release a rap album "biggin' up" my skills nevermind youtube videos. So lads lets not begrudge the lad any success and take everything done with a pinch of salt. There is method to what he is doing. Fair play to Mods for keeping the silliness to a minimum on this thread.

You are right that it is obvious what he is doing but if he bothers people it is probably understandable. It wouldnt be me getting emotionally invested and getting annoyed with him but it doesnt have to be all champagne and strawberrys. Without personal insults there is nothing wrong than stating your personal opinion. I find the majority of people like "stars" who are more genuine and down to earth, so maybe when they see more arrogance they think he is arrogant. My main point is that this is a forum and people dont have to go with the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Exactly look at Gunni Nelson. I'm sure someone will jump down my throat cuz we all love a bit of Gunni. But reality is he was on a 2 fight win streak and since his injury has lost a lot of relevance and faded into obscurity in the minds of the casual fans. Looking forward to seeing back now. But yes Conor is a smart smart man and has the persona to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

McGregor, Pendred and Kavanagh are on 2FM right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

he was fighting and people were talking about him...

He got injured and could have went away and lost his roll. but he started talking trash and kept people talking about him. IMO, It is cringey but smart.

Career in MMA can be short lived but he keeping people talking about him and keeping the buzz going.

If he cant physically fight them, keyboard fight them instead lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

The people are certainly talking about him, Ireland's most googled sports person this year!!
    Conor McGregor’s up-and-down year in MMA made him Ireland’s most googled sports personality, edging out Gareth Bale and the worldwide clicks leader, Oscar Pistorius.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/other-sports/mcgregors-exploits-pack-a-punch-online-253033.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Dat Twitter post...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Gumbi wrote: »
    Dat Twitter post...

The guy has no class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

billy2012 wrote: »
    The guy has no class.

What twitter post is this? I assume its been deleted because I don't see anything bad up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It was hilarious IMO. Conor and his dopey smile, he is naked and the pic is from the waist up (barely :P) with the quote "here is a pic of the most googled Irish atlete of 2013 NAKED". F*ckin hilarious IMO but haters gonna hate...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I was talking about a tweet about diego sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Diego Sanchez fought 19 times in UFC, FOTN 7 times, FOTY 2 times.

Should be showing the lad more respect

• Advertisement

You have to wonder whether people are giving him credit for being "smart" and keeping name out there when he's just being disrespectful and acting the maggot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement