Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

• 04-12-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

OK guys,

The dust has cleared on the disaster that was the last thread. The biggest culprits won't be joining us here (Or anywhere else on the forum). Others have been warned in PMs.

This thread is a clean slate for everyone but there will be zero tolerance on it.

I remind all users to take a fresh look at the charter before posting here.

FIGHTER BASHING OF ANY KIND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

It doesn't take a Masters in English to know the difference between a negative opinion of somebody and name calling.

This Thread is for all things about Connor that won't go into event threads. I.E. all speculation about opponents, his twitter posts, public appearances and media.

Once a fight has been announced and an event named all news relating to that fight can go into the event thread.

My own opinion on McGrogor vs Sanchez (Finally), this is an awful fight for sanchez I think. Especially if he loses to Connor at WW he is finished. Diego gets by with half decent striking and wrestling and the rest on athleticism and aggression.

Conors footwork is just too good to be held against the fence and isnt that much smaller than Diego. If Connor loses he'll probably get his wrist slapped by Dana and told to wise up and stick to 145, worst case scenario. Diego has much much more to lose in this fight and I think his emotions will get the best of him and we'll see something similar to Brimage.

But being honest I don't see the fight happening. Dana is probably getting a bit sick of fighters calling opponents out so publicly and he and his match makers will still want to be seen as the ones pulling the strings.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Any word on a date of this documentary release?. The one that was following him around for months?.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

califano wrote: »
    Any word on a date of this documentary release?. The one that was following him around for months?.

If Rte are smart they will wait until thereis a fight announced for him and cash in on the publicity that will surround that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

My own opinion on McGrogor vs Sanchez (Finally), this is an awful fight for sanchez I think. Especially if he loses to Connor at WW he is finished. Diego gets by with half decent striking and wrestling and the rest on athleticism and aggression.

Conors footwork is just too good to be held against the fence and isnt that much smaller than Diego. If Connor loses he'll probably get his wrist slapped by Dana and told to wise up and stick to 145, worst case scenario. Diego has much much more to lose in this fight and I think his emotions will get the best of him and we'll see something similar to Brimage.

But being honest I don't see the fight happening. Dana is probably getting a bit sick of fighters calling opponents out so publicly and he and his match makers will still want to be seen as the ones pulling the strings.

Also, Diego seems to be in that weird halfway point between being a bit big for 155 (missing weight v Gomi etc.) and actually being kinda fat at 170. Whenever he fights at 170 he never looks lean, he always has a bit of fat around his waist. He probably wants 170 so he can be lazy in his preparation.

Fight will still never happen at 170 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Also, Diego seems to be in that weird halfway point between being a bit big for 155 (missing weight v Gomi etc.) and actually being kinda fat at 170. Whenever he fights at 170 he never looks lean, he always has a bit of fat around his waist. He probably wants 170 so he can be lazy in his preparation.

Fight will still never happen at 170 though.
    Not too big for 155 at all. Just messed up his cut I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭peejay1986

califano wrote: »

There's a Setanta one being released on the 5th I think. Conor put up a trailer for it. Although it's not solely about him (I don't think).

There's pros/cons for both fighters if that fight at WW was ever to take place **SPOILER: It won't***. Sanchez has experience at the weight. He's fought guys who are natural WW fighters so he knows what to expect and has proven he can stand with them. On the other hand, Sanchez looks as if he loses something when fighting at 170. Sure he can still pull out a win, but I never feel he looks top drawer, or has that edge to his game. I see him as a middleweight, but he needs discipline to make that weight and that's something that's not convincing with Diego

Conor won't have the knowledge/experience of fighting at WW, like Diego has. He's walking in to an unknown. No matter how much he says otherwise, there'll be doubt there about whether he'll have the physique for 170. In saying that, Diego has more to lose. His career would potentially be on the line if he lost to a fighter climbing two weight divisions to fight, off the back of a serious injury. Conor's got the better ability and if it were to translate to WW then Diego wouldn't be able to cope with his movement.

All in all, it's a bit of 'Why bother?'. Seems more a case of the two guys trying to prove they're not afraid, so they're trying to outtalk each other on Twitter. It's too much a risk for either fighter. From Conor's point of view the better option is to take the easier fight, coming back in Dublin. The hype from the event will give him enough publicity that the scale of a potential jump to a WW fight would be overshadowed. He'll be the main draw (even if he's not the main event) on that card, so why take the risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

peejay1986 wrote: »
    On the other hand, Sanchez looks as if he loses something when fighting at 170. Sure he can still pull out a win, but I never feel he looks top drawer, or has that edge to his game. I see him as a middleweight, but he needs discipline to make that weight and that's something that's not convincing with Diego
    Huh???
    Did you mean to say WW & LW?

Sanchez has fought most of his career at WW, with two short runs at LW (3 fight run amounting to a loss verses BJ and current 2 fight run). People have said things like "Diego used to be a middleweight". But he wasn't. He has never actually been a MW. He was a small promo WW champ when TUF came along, - there was no guarantee it would happen again, so he entered the "middleweight" bracket as a WW. He immediately jumped down again afterwards.

The fights on the MW season of TUF doesn't makes him a middleweight. Especially when you considered that his opponents were also WWs jumping up to MW. Florian and Koscheck were, and I'm pretty sure the first guy was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Mellor wrote: »
    Huh???

Sanchez has fought most of his career at WW, with two short runs at LW (3 fight run amounting to a loss verses BJ and current 2 fight run). People have said things like "Diego used to be a middleweight". But he wasn't. He has never actually been a MW. He was a small promo WW champ when TUF came along, - there was no guarantee it would happen again, so he entered the "middleweight" bracket as a WW. He immediately jumped down again afterwards.

The fights on the MW season of TUF doesn't makes him a middleweight. Especially when you considered that his opponents were also WWs jumping up to MW. Florian and Koscheck were, and I'm pretty sure the first guy was too.

Didn't he fight Kenny Florian at Middleweight on TUF1?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

Yes he fought at WW before TUF. Entered the MW category ( same thing Cathal is doing or has done ).

He seems to take a run at a weight class. Lose and then jump up or above.

Sanchez must be thinking it is an easy fight for him ( someone coming up two weight classes to him ). I hope it happens at 155lb or 160 catch would be better IMO.

defo fight of the night potential IF this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

canonball5 wrote: »
    Didn't he fight Kenny Florian at Middleweight on TUF1?
    I think you missed the point entirely tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Just saw this on facebook. He's really pushing the self-promotion. Like others have said, once he keeps winning it will work well for him, I just hope he's not digging his own grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ATMatm

Actually that's exactly what they want. Check out Jon Anik at the show tonight, he'll ask every single winner who he wants next so that they'll call someone out.

It's not that they want an easier job but they do want some buzz surrounding fights aside from "Wow, if fighter A beats fighter B he'll jump up in the rankings.". Nine times out of ten, if a fighter calls someone out he'll get the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Mellor wrote: »
    Huh???

Wow. No idea why I said MW. Yes, meant to say WW. Doh.

on tonight 8;25pm ish with us.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/9/5187818/the-mma-hour-with-mark-hunt-daniel-cormier-ben-askren-josh-thomson

1:00 p.m. ET -- Daniel Cormier will talk about his light heavyweight debut against Rashad Evans at UFC 170.

1:25 p.m. -- Josh Thomson will discuss now having to fight Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 10 instead of Anthony Pettis for the lightweight title at UFC on FOX 9.

1:45 p.m. -- We'll answer your #themmahour questions on anything and everything going on in the MMA world. Hit us up on Twitter using that hash tag, leave a question in the comments section below.

2:05 p.m. -- Marshall Zelaznik, UFC's chief content officer, will discuss the new UFC digital network, which launches in January.

2:25 p.m. -- Coach Duane Ludwig will preview the four Team Alpha Male fights taking place on Saturday night at UFC on FOX 9.

2:45 p.m. -- Former Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren will discuss his fighting future.

3:05 p.m. -- Heavyweight Mark Hunt will look back at his Fight of the Year candidate against Antonio Silva at UFC Fight Night 33.

3:25 p.m. -- UFC featherweight rising star Conor McGregor will talk about his knee rehab and other news pertaining to him.

3:50 -- UFC heavyweight Soa Palelei will look back at his win over Pat Barry at UFN 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Great just what I need 20 minutes of Connor telling us all what we already know,he looks good and kicks ass.No one else trains like him he is the best.His knee rehab is going brilliant doctors are amazed and never seen anyone like him.No one recovers from knee surgery like him.Tell us how he wants to fight Diego and beat him easily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Hahahahahaha. So funny. Conor's on a tear.

"8 foot stick of **** Frankenstein lookalike".

Gumbi wrote: »
    Hahahahahaha. So funny. Conor's on a tear.

"8 foot stick of **** Frankenstein lookalike".

Did not hear it yet but assume he's talking about Big foot, no one does interviews as good as Connor, he'd tell you that himself:)

dave1982 wrote: »
    Did not hear it yet but assume he's talking about Big foot, no one does interviews as good as Connor, he'd tell you that himself:)

Nah, Luke Barnatt :) He ranted a bit about him cos Luke Barnett accused him of buying followers etc last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

"The only reason he's in the UFC is because he blocks shots with his nose"

Hilarious Conor but oh so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

He also says comeback fight in May/June/July and Sanchez here in September. If he did would be mental in more ways than one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

He is getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Had to turn it off myself, he's getting tough to listen too. I'll always be a fan but leave the constant expletives and trash talk out at least until you have a fight lined up. I know he's trying to keep himself in the public eye but sometimes going under the radar works best. Just my opinion before the McGregor Fanclub light on me! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I think he's just being himself. I found the interview to be easier to listen to than most of his recent stuff. He is stuck over in LA by himself working though his rehab; I think he uses the media to vent. He went too far with the Rousey and Tate thing, and he seems to know where the line is now. Ariel seems to really appreciate him as a guest, as he is more entertaining to interview than 99% of fighters. He gives his honest, and uninhibited views, which, despite the bad language, is refreshing to hear.

Keeping himself relevant is clearly in his mind, but he mentioned repeatedly that he he knows he has a lot of work ahead of him. It's too early to say whether his aim of becoming champion is likely, but you can tell he completely believes in his own ability, which is necessary to get there. The fact that he's more vocal than practically every other fighter does not mean he's cocky, but it has allowed him to gain recognition a lot more quickly than if he'd just fought, won, and kept his mouth shut. It may go against him if he loses prematurely, but then again they may not.

To be fair Connor thinks he already has the belt won that's the problem with him, Diego raised a good point that Connor has been beat but unknowns and he's bashing the top 10 in the UFC.

Connor is Ireland's version of Bisping love him or hate him people will want to watch him fight be it to see him win or get KTFO!!

Is the Diego fight likely to happen? I'd have huge respect for Connor if that fight was to happen win or lose.

Hope I didn't break any rules from that post in the Connor McGregor appreciation thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

List of Species spotted so far:

1. Bandwagon McGregor Fans - watched 3 live UFCs ever, all are welcome
    2. Rational Haters - want to see him lose and the hype end, believes nobody has any right to hype themselves up til they've beaten 3 top 10 guys
    3. Irrational haters - hating just to be different
    4. Neutral Fight Fans - highly endangered
    5. Overly Posh people - hate straight Dubs and Conor's Swearing and see him as another Dublin Shaper, hate the fact that a lot of people warm to him because he reminds them of somebody who stole their lunch money once
    6. Die Hard Protectors - will viciously defend against anyone criticizing Conor's swearing on TV, his combative attitude, commonly citing arrogance as a necessity in MMA
    7. The Genuinely Entertained - get a laugh out of him in the media and look forward to his fights and find him to be refreshingly different
    8. The Pure Nationalist Fan - delighted to see an Irish MMA fighter on the big stage first and foremost and long for that Epic Olay Olay Barry McGuigan RDS moment... in the O2.

I'm a 7... with a touch of 6 and 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

List of Species spotted so far:

1. Bandwagon McGregor Fans - watched 3 live UFCs ever, all are welcome
    2. Rational Haters - want to see him lose and the hype end, believes nobody has any right to hype themselves up til they've beaten 3 top 10 guys
    3. Irrational haters - hating just to be different
    4. Neutral Fight Fans - highly endangered
    5. Overly Posh people - hate straight Dubs and Conor's Swearing and see him as another Dublin Shaper, hate the fact that a lot of people warm to him because he reminds them of somebody who stole their lunch money once
    6. Die Hard Protectors - will viciously defend against anyone criticizing Conor's swearing on TV, his combative attitude, commonly citing arrogance as a necessity in MMA
    7. The Genuinely Entertained - get a laugh out of him in the media and look forward to his fights and find him to be refreshingly different
    8. The Pure Nationalist Fan - delighted to see an Irish MMA fighter on the big stage first and foremost and long for that Epic Olay Olay Barry McGuigan RDS moment... in the O2.

I'm a 7... with a touch of 6 and 8.

What category does Lentz fall into or does he merit a new category?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/12/4722380/ufc-nik-lentz-interview-conor-mcgregor-slow-your-stroll-sonnyboy

2,3 and 8 for me, delighted we have Irish fighter in the UFC but sadly he's coming across wrong.People will probably tolerate it for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

ha yeah fighters do deserve their own category.... but I can't argue with or against them they can slag Conor or anyone as much as they want. And they have the perfect debating forum : )

• Registered Users Posts: 7 barry burp

Just saw this on facebook. He's really pushing the self-promotion. Like others have said, once he keeps winning it will work well for him, I just hope he's not digging his own grave.

is it just me or is he starting to get irritating?

• Advertisement

It depends. I take it as it happens because I know it's just his personality. He's just whacky, loves talking **** and being hyperbolic. That's 100% fine in my book - he's being honest. Whether you like it or not is up to you. Being honest, I think he's hilarious. His manic laugh is the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement