Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Virgin Media Television thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Saturday Line-Up:

VM2: 6pm Poirot 7pm Marple
    VM3: 5pm Poirot 6pm Ireland's Got Talent (r) ... 9pm Midsomer Murders 12:00 Britain's Got Talent (r)

Sunday:
    VM2: 5pm The X Factor
    VM3: 5pm Doc Martin 6pm Heartbeat 7pm Poirot

It's hard to distinguish what channel is which. The old 3e is definitely dead, with be3 spreading out over 2 channels. Poirot over the two distinctly shows this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So when will be the last airing of the 1998 closedown sequence then?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

When 3 news were covering Limericks homecoming this evening they made sure they got the Virgin Media promo. They said about workers in Limerick getting off early to go to the homecoming like staff at Virgin Media's store in Limerick got off early.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Only TV3 appears to have got the transitional idents - 3e and Be3 still using their regular idents. They have promotional break bumpers with their new logos, but they don’t transition between the old and new logo like TV3’s does.

Mind you it’s most important for TV3 - because right now people know you dial 3 (or 103) for TV3. But their new logo is the word “one”, breaking the link between brand and EPG position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I know they say people don't like change,I usually embrace it but I can't see one positive from this new re brand. Even the color indents I dislike. I think it is a very stupid move putting News at 8 on TV3/VM1. Take the Thursday for example, second episode of Emmerdale on at 8.30 instead of 8, I know this household will switch to UTV HD or ITV HD instead as we have free to air.

If I had to draw one positive, looking at the schedule for Sunday Sept 2nd, it looks like Sunday AM airs on VM1 and is not repeated on VM2 or VM3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

icdg wrote: »
    Only TV3 appears to have got the transitional idents - 3e and Be3 still using their regular idents. They have promotional break bumpers with their new logos, but they don’t transition between the old and new logo like TV3’s does.

Mind you it’s most important for TV3 - because right now people know you dial 3 (or 103) for TV3. But their new logo is the word “one”, breaking the link between brand and EPG position.

That's why I've said earlier VM1 should be removed from the no.3 slot. VMtv to be repositioned at ch.no 5,6 and 7 (keep them together) EPG 3 to be used for RTE Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

TV3 don't have any official special coverage available for the Pope's visit this weekend. It appears that the standard 5:30 news bulletin during the weekends will be sufficient along with some token coverage on Saturday AM & Sunday AM. If you want to go to see the Pope's visit on TV here over the two days. RTÉ will be the best place for it & maybe TG4 might give some coverage for the two days in Irish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

New Virgin Media One promo I don’t think I saw Red Rock, music is cranberries but you’d think that would improve the dismalness of the first one.

It’s far too corporate IMO, VM2 & VM3 may get drowned in nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

TV3 don't have any official special coverage available for the Pope's visit this weekend. It appears that the standard 5:30 news bulletin during the weekends will be sufficient along with some token coverage on Saturday AM & Sunday AM. If you want to go to see the Pope's visit on TV here over the two days. RTÉ will be the best place for it & maybe TG4 might give some coverage for the two days in Irish too.
    Rte definitely have the best coverage as well as extended six one and a slightly longer 9 and 1 o'clock news.
    Bryan dobson will be presenting coverage of the pope in ireland

When the Pope arrive we'll be on our best behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Full coverage on one channel I think is enough. I'm guessing RTE are paying a good bit to broadcast various events surrounding the visit, and would probably rather or insisted exclusivity over it.

Maybe we can take the Pope talk elsewhere unless it’s specifically to do with TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Virgin have a match on tonight for the CL play off. Is the match from them on TV3 or Be3? I checked both the RTÉ Guide & Saorview EPG listings to see what was going on. The RTÉ Guide said it was on TV3. The Saorview EPG I checked earlier said it was on Be3. Talk about Virgin confusing their viewers yet again.

Be3 - they moved it after advance listings were already published. Possibly when they realised that there’d be no clubs from the big countries in it. Even if they’d qualified, RTE would have picked Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Reports on other forums that VM1 ( TV3), is swapping places on the Sky EPG with TG4, so TG4 will be at 103 and VM1 & 2 will be at 104 and 105. VM3 will stay at 116. I can't believe they are giving up 103, makes a mockery of EPG with a channel with 4 in its name at number 103. Would ITV move from 103 in UK ? No chance.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Reports on other forums that VM1 ( TV3), is swapping places on the Sky EPG with TG4, so TG4 will be at 103 and VM1 & 2 will be at 104 and 105. VM3 will stay at 116. I can't believe they are giving up 103, makes a mockery of EPG with a channel with 4 in its name at number 103. Would ITV move from 103 in UK ? No chance.

And that should be done on Saorview as well, VM1, VM2 and VM3 on 4, 5 and 6 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gadget_hq

rebrands are cool, exciting times. though i'm surprised sky didn't complain at vm being a platform now on saorview - though i guess until the BAI readvertise new muxes for Saorview for other broadcasters to be on the platform, we might then have a dtt free to air platform on par with freeview in the UK!

one day we dream :)
    tomorrow it is a reality

and you know what they say about tomorrow lol

Have we a source for that? Not saying it’s not happening, but that’s one I find particularly hard to believe in the absence of more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It would be great if this pushed other brands onto saorview.
    Sky could put on their news channel and advertise their packages.
    Eir could put on a sports channel.

With more and more content being broadcast through streaming you wonder if sky sports, virgin sports and eir/bt could have their content on saorview through subscription to apps on the set top box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

gadget_hq wrote: »
    though i guess until the BAI readvertise new muxes for Saorview for other broadcasters to be on the platform, we might then have a dtt free to air platform on par with freeview in the UK!

one day we dream :)
    tomorrow it is a reality

and you know what they say about tomorrow lol

Dream on, there is little interest from content providers. This from the BAI earlier this year
    Work undertaken by the BAI on DTT to-date revealed that market conditions would not support the launch of commercial DTT services. This work involved a number of independent reviews of the marketplace and the Mediatique research report of December 2017 supports these views.

In this context, the BAI commits to its current approach to DTT, that of commissioning an independent review approximately every three years to ascertain the capacity of the market place, including the identification of potential applicants.

The Cush wrote: »
    Dream on, there is little interest from content providers. This from the BAI earlier this year

BAI are really talking about a pay TV service not a free service, BAI have failed to even consider the addition of new channels on saorview and when that happens it’s usually from Free To Air providers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    BAI are really talking about a pay TV service not a free service, BAI have failed to even consider the addition of new channels on saorview and when that happens it’s usually from Free To Air providers themselves.

Same applies to FTA DTT content, no one is interested. The availability of FTA UK terrestrial and satellite overspill kills that market.

Have we a source for that? Not saying it’s not happening, but that’s one I find particularly hard to believe in the absence of more information.

I can't copy the link for some reason, but it's on the Sky section of Digital Spy. Friend of a friend information, but guy seems confident it's happening. But admittedly, not an official quote from anyone in TV3, it's from someone who works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I can't copy the link for some reason, but it's on the Sky section of Digital Spy. Friend of a friend information, but guy seems confident it's happening. But admittedly, not an official quote from anyone in TV3, it's from someone who works there.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/90980026#Comment_90980026 ;)

I remain cynical. Mad decision defying all logic if true.

I remain cynical. Mad decision defying all logic if true.

Totally agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The rebrand is a mad decision so that wouldn't surprise me. The day when they decide to sell those channels will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Omar C

We'll fing out on aug 30th. The new layout of vm channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Would be good if they would put TV3+1 on saorview just to have a small bit more choice on what to watch.
    Did rte not let them originally

Advertisement