Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Wet snow falling for the past half hour at Galway/Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭acequion

Yep snowflakes falling here in Tralee too. Very pretty to look out at but I wouldn't fancy being out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Didn't expect the snow to fall this early. Anyway, yet another March with snow and yet another March that has been better than the winter months (combined sometimes). I think we can count on March for wintry weather! I sort of forgive winter 2018-19 and I can finally place it ahead of 2016-17 now and this is now the 4th best winter of the decade after being the worst :D. I think we might be able to trump January 2018 and March 2016 so this could be my 4th best snowfall of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Where the hell did that snow comes from?!!!
    Lashing now in Carlow, was not expecting that today!!!

There was a gorgeous sunrise with pink skies and lying snow. There's still snow left on the cars and a bit on the grass with some icy patches and sunny spells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

My god last night was a dirty night in Galway, such heavy rain and hail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Mortelaro wrote: »
    BBC weather just now has a lot of snow and strong winds in Leinster from Storm Freya
    Its definitely a graphics glitch
    Somebody must have pressed the wrong button
    It's still on the 1pm graphics but nothing's mentioned except wind
    Embarrassing for meteogroup

The BBC snow graphics were spot on Friday regarding Freya,48hrs out!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow almost melted here now, a very quick thaw over the past 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    snow almost melted here now, a very quick thaw over the past 2 hours.

Slow thaw here, driveway and roads clear but the lawns, garden, and fields are still white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The BBC snow graphics were spot on Friday regarding Freya,48hrs out!!

Intentionally or accidentally? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Slow thaw here, driveway and roads clear but the lawns, garden, and fields are still white

Ha, 20mins of a heavy shower of rain and snow is near gone

Decent sized hail today.

Place is completely white after a hail shower in Galway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

next weekend is looking quite cold and unsettled, possibly similar to the weekend just gone. Mid March is also looking quite cold.

GFS looking a bit wintry for next Sunday, to be taken with a pinch of salt for now.

138-574UK.GIF?04-12

Next Monday continues with a possibly cold and wintry theme:

162-574UK.GIF?04-6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lots of lightning out west

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Chilly in cork city with a cold wind but nice blue skies.

Massive clap of thunder in Galway City, I note there's no thread for spring/summer convection?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm in North Kildare, current temperature is 0.9c and falling fairly quickly. I see that there a large and fairly heavy shower heading my way in a half hour or so. Will be interesting to see what falls from it!

some very heavy showers in the western half of the country mostly of rain and sleet with some thunder in places.

We've had a dry day in south Meath, although the ground is very wet from all that melted snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

We've had heavy rain and a couple of heavy hail showers here in south Cavan today, its currently +2 here now feeling cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have a feeling somewhere in the UK or Ireland will experience an event, similar to the end of March 2013, this spring. Well, i guess if you were up in the Wicklow mountains today you might say it has happened already. There must have been a decent covering up there from yesterdays snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some very heavy hail showers this evening in Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Looking like a cold enough march. I've no statistics and I think weather patterns are coincidental, but a fairly nice summer followed the last two cold March's I can remember, 2013 and 2018. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looking like a cold enough march. I've no statistics and I think weather patterns are coincidental, but a fairly nice summer followed the last two cold March's I can remember, 2013 and 2018. Fingers crossed.

Cold Marches have occurred (back to 1969 here from off the top of my head) in:

1969 - A very sunny Summer (broke records for sunshine in Ireland at the time in places) and reasonably warm
    1970 - A very warm June (warmest on record before June 2018 for numerous locations) but forgettable otherwise
    1975 - Astounding Summer that is forgotten. Hot, dry and sunny
    1979 - A poor, unsettled Summer
    1985 - Exceptionally wet, dull Summer
    1987 - Very dull and cool Summer
    1995 (not overly cool but a fair few shots of cold zonality) - Think you know this Summer, need not I say?
    1996 - Mentioned this one lots of times before, a fine June with lots of sunshine, mixed July and an average August
    2001 - A rather warm and thundery Summer if on the dull side
    2006 - Very warm June, hot July but average August
    2010 - Warm June, a mild but very wet July and sunny and dry but cool August

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Dublin has had snow on March 1/2 2015, March 4 2016, March 1-3 2018 and March 3 2019. Bit of a coincidence.

Correction on saying this probably being the 4th best snow event of the decade here, forgot about 18 March 2018.

Wasn't there snizzle from a toothless easterly at the start of March 2017 too? Maybe I'm mixing it up with 2016 although I don't think it was 2016. I've been following the forum since winter 2015-16 so it's either March 2016 or 2017 or else I'm imagining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Wasn't there snizzle from a toothless easterly at the start of March 2017 too? Maybe I'm mixing it up with 2016.

The only wintriness I remember from March 2017 was March 21st/22nd before a warm spell took off. The 22nd being a very wet and awful day in Dublin, only 5c as a maximum too under all the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely sunny fresh morning. Snow still on the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another miserable wet morning in Letterkenny, been an awful start to spring here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

42-FF7-FE5-D455-42-F3-B99-C-61-AA4-B2-A3-C4-E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A miserable 24 hours in Castlebar, nearly 30mm rain and very blustery.

Advertisement