Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with file called "pro_seg5.swf" when installing Windows XP Pro. with SP2

• 27-12-2006 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Good morning,

I just acquired a new PC with a PCI-Express Graphics Card. When trying to format the HDD, I kept getting Error Messages so I googled the error and found out it was because I was trying to format a PCI-E PC with Widows XP Pro. (no SP2). As a result, I made my own CD-ROM with Windows XP Pro. + SP2.

This worked a treat! However, I got an Error Message while Windows was installing saying that it could not install/copy/find (can't remember exactly) file "pro_seg5.swf". I could either "Retry" or "Skip" or "Quit". "Retry" didn't work, "Quit" wasn't an option so I proceeded to "Skip"...

Windows XP Pro. with SP2 installed successfully and I installed all my drivers and games, etc. Seems to be running perfectly in fact! But I'm worried that one day this "pro_seg5.swf" file will cause me some major trouble...

Does anybody know what this file does? Is it an important Windows XP system file? I found a tutorial explaining how to extract files from the XP disc but I don't even know which directory it goes into! And the Microsoft Knowledge Base has (unsurprisingly) nothing on this particular file...

Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Usually copy errors are a symptom of either bad media/drive or RAM.

For piece of mind I would run Memtest+ on the system and let it go for 2-3 hours to make sure it doesn't miss anything, if it records an errors then one or more of the RAM modules is defective (in rare situations the RAM is not bad but is a case of bad timings or brand incompatibility with the motherboard bios).

For pro_seg5.swf try looking for pro_seg5.sw_ on the XP CD here are instructions on how to extract the file. As to what the file is it's actually a file called segment5.swf which is part of the XP tour a flash based intro/help for XP not critical at all.

This is where the file goes;
    C:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\mmTour

Alternatively run sfc /scannow from a command prompt or run box and it will scan the system for missing or corrupt files and prompt you to replace them if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

8T8 wrote:
    Usually copy errors are a symptom of either bad media/drive or RAM.

For piece of mind I would run Memtest+ on the system and let it go for 2-3 hours to make sure it doesn't miss anything, if it records an errors then one or more of the RAM modules is defective (in rare situations the RAM is not bad but is a case of bad timings or brand incompatibility with the motherboard bios).
    I remember running this on an PC I had a while back... I shall run this on this new machine then! I hope it's not the RAM. PC feels/performs really good! But if it is it's not a major issue as the RAM is CORSAIR thus it has a Lifetime Warranty.
    8T8 wrote:
    For pro_seg5.swf try looking for pro_seg5.sw_ on the XP CD here are instructions on how to extract the file. As to what the file is it's actually a file called segment5.swf which is part of the XP tour a flash based intro/help for XP not critical at all.

This is where the file goes;
    C:\WINDOWS\Help\Tours\mmTour
    Oh so that's all it is? Funny it's a XP Tour file! For the first time ever I actually clicked on "Take a tour of XP" after formatting and indeed one of the options "Windows XP Basic" wouldn't do anything when I clicked on it! I'll try extracting that mising file by following the instructions from that link you posted. ;)
    8T8 wrote:
    Alternatively run sfc /scannow from a command prompt or run box and it will scan the system for missing or corrupt files and prompt you to replace them if so.
    No harm in doing this also! I'll give it a go!

Thanks a million for your help 8T8! :D

Hi 8T8,

Good news: that "pro_seg5.swf" was missing because it was corrupt on the CD-ROM I created after combining XP and SP2. I managed to extract the file from the original Windows XP (without SP2) disc. The option called "Windows XP Basic" in the Windows XP Tour is now working perfectly!

Thank you for your help with that! ;)

Bad news: I ran Memtest86+ (V1.65) and got some errors (2 of them, always the same it seems). I have posted a new thread about this issue under "Tech > Computers / Technology" if you want to have a look...

Thank again!

Good morning all,

Just found out last night that my "Help and Support" doesn't work on my freshly formatted PC... :(

Indeed, it opens up but if I write something in the search field and press ENTER the application just freezes. Yet, when I open Task Manager, the app. seems to be running fine (no "Not Responding" message).

I suspect it has something to do with that error I had when formatting (having to skip the installation of file "pro_seg5.swf").

Now, I REALLY don't want to have to format my PC again as this would mean recreating another XP Pro. + SP2 CD-ROM (IMO the culprit), then having to format and reinstall everything again (you know yourself!) and, worst of all, it might not even work anyway!

What I was thinking of doing is inserting the original XP Pro. (without SP2) CD-ROM and running the "fix-it-whatyoumacallit" program. My only worry is, will this not cause problems seen as I'm running XP with SP2 and the CD-ROM doesn't have SP2? Any other suggestions on how to get my "Help and Support" working again?

Sorry for being a pain...

Never mind... Rebooted PC when I got home and XP Help and Support was perfect... :confused:

I'm just happy I don't have to format again!!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement