Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Hurleys

• 06-05-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

My son plays quite a lot of hurling and goes through hurleys at a phenomenal rate. Any suggestions where to buy good quality hurleys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Brayan Dirty Shootout

Em, depends what country your from. Dont buy them in a shop or outlet of any sort. Most clubs buy in bulk from their local hurley maker, which are usually good quality if your willing to pay for it, or the cheap alternative of buying in hurleys by the dozen off a person who produces en-masse (which tend to be bad hurleys, but better than whats in the shops).

Youll find hurley makers on the internet im sure, no doubt youll be informed of one by other posters once you say what area you live in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Sorry, I should have said I'm in Meath but I've bought hurleys from all over the country. I don't mind paying for them, he ones he gets from the club only cost about €20 but he does not like them. I've bought them from all over the country, Star hurleys from Kilkenny (his favourite), some from Ben (or Jerry) O' Connor in Cork (seems they were made from white chocolate as both of them only lasted a few minutes), some from a guy in Holy Cross County Tipp, some from a guy in Ratoath etc etc, I've never bought one in a shop.
    I've even bought him a Cultec hurley for training but he just can't seem to get on with it.
    I'd stick with the Star hurleys if it wasn't so difficult to get hold of them but meanwhile he'll try one from anywhere if anyone can suggest someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Sorry, I should have said I'm in Meath but I've bought hurleys from all over the country. I don't mind paying for them, he ones he gets from the club only cost about €20 but he does not like them. I've bought them from all over the country, Star hurleys from Kilkenny (his favourite), some from Ben (or Jerry) O' Connor in Cork (seems they were made from white chocolate as both of them only lasted a few minutes), some from a guy in Holy Cross County Tipp, some from a guy in Ratoath etc etc, I've never bought one in a shop.
    I've even bought him a Cultec hurley for training but he just can't seem to get on with it.
    I'd stick with the Star hurleys if it wasn't so difficult to get hold of them but meanwhile he'll try one from anywhere if anyone can suggest someone.

My sons find Lash GoLeor in Wexford quite strong but still reasonably light. I have no connection other that we live in Wexford and therefore they would be local to us as would quite a number of other Hurley Makers. They have a website and from talking to them they are selling all over the country. 28" 30" are I think €20 the last time I bought a couple.

I also have had them repair a couple of broken hurls and they did a good job and charged €7 each for the repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭theram

Go right to the lads themselves, this is the association of ash hurley makers in Ireland.

http://www.igahm.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thanks for all the replys guys.
    I just checked out the websites and spoke to a very helpful and knowledgable lady at Lash GoLeor who suggested one or two models that might be suitable (I never knew there were so many different styles available).
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Knucklebreaker

You could add little bit of strength getting them double banded. If the hurleys are breaking in the middle of the shaft there isn't much that can be done, but if they are cracking at the bas, try linseed oiling them. Donal Og's (Cork Goalie) are treated with this or some other wood preservative. They only need to be treated up as far as where the stamp is normally. Where the hurleys are kept is also critical as if left inside the wood can dry out and weaken the ash, which can leads to cracks that irritate players. An outdoor shed that is well ventilated out of direct sunlight would be suitable.
    Hope this helps,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sylane93

I thought o' connor hurleys are supposed to be one of the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

You could try Tom Walsh out by Athboy or Bohermeen (not sure which as I've never used him) on 087-2655812

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

sylane93 wrote: »
    I thought o' connor hurleys are supposed to be one of the best.

They are a lovely style of hurley... Lovely to hurl with and everything.. But I've had a few now and they do break fairly easily. I keep buying them though because I just love the style of the boss! Definitely the nicest hurleys Ive used, just wish they were a bit stronger.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

They are a lovely style of hurley... Lovely to hurl with and everything.. But I've had a few now and they do break fairly easily. I keep buying them though because I just love the style of the boss! Definitely the nicest hurleys Ive used, just wish they were a bit stronger.

Dont mean to hijack this thread but roughly how much would you say the O' Connor hurleys are??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭davestar

deise_girl wrote: »
    Dont mean to hijack this thread but roughly how much would you say the O' Connor hurleys are??

they average at about e25 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Need a hurley to. Does anyone have a number for Billy Discon from Enfeild? Live close but never heard of him before. Got his name from the Irish Hurley makers website.
    Does anyone know what his hurls are like?

And also theres a chap from Lucan can anyone tell me about him?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Ye saw that didnt have the 2 numbers i was looking for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chicagonian

Im involved in a club in chicago and we buy our hurleys from an internet website from a manufacturer in cork. Great service and great quality stick. I know its unusual to buy hurleys from internet but quality is top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darzea

I'm from Cork and the O'Connor hurl would be very strong but not too heavy, you just have to look for a nice one. I'm a hurley repairer and I know that wonce a hurl is cut and sanded it should be left for 3 weeks before playing also you should never band a hurley when you get it. The tacks have to be hammered into the wood making it very week at those points.It often brakes down a line of a tack. Wait untill it breakes then get it fixed and the repaier will band where is reqired.IF you want to band a hurl linseed oil it 4 days before. It would be a good idea to find a good hurl repairer and stick with him. He'll save you time and money.I have been repairing my clubs hurls and saving them 100s every year.If any one has a question or needs a fix email me darraghmeaney@hotmail.com

PS. Its a good thing your son is breaking hurls,I'd be worried if he wasn't:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darzea

You should get them repaired. Send me a email if your interested.
    darraghmeaney@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sinabhfuil

ANTO - Don't know if this is the guy you're referring to but there is a chap in Lucan named Jim Doyle who sells hurleys. He doesn't make them just sells them. Anyone with half a brain would stay well clear of those planks.

sinabhfuil wrote: »
    ANTO - Don't know if this is the guy you're referring to but there is a chap in Lucan named Jim Doyle who sells hurleys. He doesn't make them just sells them. Anyone with half a brain would stay well clear of those planks.

Ye Jim Doyle thats the name never actualy seen his hurls but heard all the lads in Lucan Sarsfeild had serious hurleys suppose i shouldnt of presumed they got them from him. Well your advice is noted thanks. Anyway i got sorted out with a few lash go loers and no complaint so far both great sticks and a good price at 26 imo just dont buy them in champion get them direct will probally work out cheaper to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 happy_pills_

can find da number for Star hurleys n e where ? .. anyone have ih ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

can find da number for Star hurleys n e where ? .. anyone have ih ?

Honestly now - how hard did you really try?
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en-GB&q=star+hurleys+kilkenny&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enIE209IE209&ie=UTF-8&aq=0&oq=star+hurleys+

I'm new to hurling and have 2 star hurleys. I don't have anything to compare them to but i like them. And i sympathise witht he OP saying that they are hard to get hold of - its a nightmare trying to get them to answer the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shiv_182

I've gone through o'Connors, Stars, Lash Go Leors and all sorts of hurls, and so far the best one's been the Star.
    The number for Star is 0567722777, 66 Upper Patrick St. Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Star hurleys take forever to be delivered up to Dublin. Using an O'Connor at the moment, its alright, bit heavy. Planning on getting an Eddie Grant hurl from Tipp. I heard good things about them. Heres hoping he will post 2 up to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

theres a guy from cork his name is liam walsh have been using them 4 a while cant say enough about his hurleys i have no number 4 him but i know he is in the lisgoold area just by midelton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HurlingUSA

Our club's batch of O'Connors broke fairly easily...don't know if we got a bad batch, but am afraid to order from them again.

Anyone know of a good hurley maker who accepts credit cards or PayPal? Need to order from the States...difficult to do with currency differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

HurlingUSA wrote: »
    Our club's batch of O'Connors broke fairly easily...don't know if we got a bad batch, but am afraid to order from them again.

Anyone know of a good hurley maker who accepts credit cards or PayPal? Need to order from the States...difficult to do with currency differences.

The number for Star Hurleys is abov ein the thread. You could give them a call and have a chat about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

I've tried O Connors (Nice hurleys for a nifty forward) and Lash go Leor (More durable hurley) and of the 2; Lash Go Leor seem more durable.

A mate of mine has a theory that you should stock up on timber at the end of the season and let them 'winter'. That way come the start of the season they'll natuarlly become tougher and more durable. I'm after giving this a go so will let ye know how it went come next March.

It makes sense as the older, planks that are left lying around at home are impossible to break but the fresher timber always goes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HurlingUSA

Peace wrote: »
    The number for Star Hurleys is abov ein the thread. You could give them a call and have a chat about it.

thx, Peace. I ordered from them a couple of years ago...only took euros or bank draft. Might try calling again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tikkal

Although this is only a new source for hurleys e.g. website still in transition prior to appearance on Dragons Den in February 2010:-

http://www.handcrafthurleys.com/

the information needed to contact the person can be found on:-

http://www.duaghhurling.com/contact.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Submara

Best hurls in the country are made by Paddy O'Dea in Ardrahan, Co. Galway. He supplies all clubs in Galway and the county team have been using them for years. They have the classical Galway style with a rounded bas.

Paddy O'Dea Ardrahan 091-635134

Phillip Larkin in Loughrea, Co. Galway also makes good hurls but my preference would be for O'Dea's. Better than anything from Cork or elsewhere.

Advertisement