Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

UPDATE _ Monday, 3 August, 2009 _ 1845h

As expected, some rather heavy rain is developing along the occluded front heading northeast into Ireland at this time. The track of the heaviest rainfall seems likely to be something like Cork to Laois towards Dublin, whether it reaches Dublin or begins to wane after 2300h remains to be seen. Also some thunderstorms could develop both along this track and to the southeast in the warm sector of the system. Waterford and Wexford, then also Carlow and Wicklow may be in the path of some heavy thundery downpours giving 10-30 mms of rain this evening. As I may not be close to the internet now to 10 p.m., I would certainly appreciate any updates from boards.ie weather folk should anything really heavy develop. I don't think the dynamics would favour stronger wind gusts than the system is already generating (30-35 mph seems about the upper limit) but there could be some local hail and intense lightning if the cells develop further. Clearing will follow eventually, but there are secondary areas of showers that could also become thundery, following on behind this main band, and already ashore in south Kerry. These could give a second round of heavier rain about an hour or two after the main band passes any given location.

There is also some risk of heavier rain developing towards the northwest around 9-10 p.m., meanwhile Ulster would be waiting until generally after midnight for much rainfall, and this may become heavy after midnight there.

As to my own weather here, I think I'll stick to the daily report at the evening update, and just give the occasional glimpse ahead when something unusual is about to happen here. We're stuck in the hot, dry pattern of the recent week to ten days, and it's heading for about 28-30 C later on (it being 1050 local time here now). Full sunshine, no haze or high cloud, lower humidity. Expecting a gradual cooling trend due mainly to building southward of a new high to replace the old one, so possibly the odd brief thunderstorm around tomorrow, and a long spell of dry weather with more seasonable temperatures to follow, with the usual slow warming trend again.

There have been some severe storms in Alberta recently, and a number of forest fires are forcing evacuations across inland parts of B.C.

• Light rain started here about 4 or so but it's been moderate to heavy in the last hour.
    Looks like the really heavy stuff is over mid wexford-maybe the Enniscorthy area southwards...though you'd get quite a drenching here 20 miles north of there.

Unfortunately my weatherstation is out of action for the moment so I have no rain stats for here :/

The rain band seems to have narrowed significantly.

Tuesday, 4 August, 2009

TODAY will be warm and partly cloudy at first with some sunny intervals, followed by scattered showers and possibly one or two thundershowers, most likely in west-central districts. Winds will be quite breezy from the SSW at about 20-35 mph, although off the west coast around 30-50 mph at times. Highs will reach about 21 or 22 C.

TONIGHT will remain warm, partly cloudy to clear at times, with just widely scattered light showers at worst; lows will be about 14 to 16 C.

WEDNESDAY will be similar to today with some sunshine, scattered showers here and there, and warm highs near 21 or 22 C. SW'ly breezes will tend to be a bit less strong over most of the country.

THURSDAY and FRIDAY will be partly cloudy to sunny at times, with just a slight risk of showers mainly in the northwest. It will turn a little cooler but not too much, with highs closer to 19 C, and lows around 11 C.

THE WEEKEND is looking fairly good too, at this point, with a ridge of high pressure drifting through Ireland likely to bring dry and partly cloudy to sunny conditions, highs around 20 C.

NEXT WEEK is starting to look warmer now, as the jet stream begins to lift further north and away from Ireland for a while (let's hope a long while).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thanks MT. I am keeping track of the jet profile and I am convinced a window is opening for the weekend and next week - although I am disappointed that it won't occur some days earlier as I thought it might. Still, Summer is on the way....belatedly....but August means storms if the weather I see occurs and that is a positive for weather nuts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

darkman2 wrote: »
    Thanks MT. I am keeping track of the jet profile and I am convinced a window is opening for the weekend and next week - although I am disappointed that it won't occur some days earlier as I thought it might. Still, Summer is on the way....belatedly....but August means storms if the weather I see occurs and that is a positive for weather nuts.:)

Darkman. How do you keep track of the position of the jet stream?

• Advertisement

rhonin wrote: »
    Darkman. How do you keep track of the position of the jet stream?

There are several sites where you can observe the forecast track of the Jet Stream

The one most commonly used here is on the Wetterzentrale website

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=gfsh500;sess=

Here is another one

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=5

The profile of the jet stream is very important for our weather. Preferably we don't want to see it high tailing it across the Atlantic at us like a big vindictive finger. We want to see it amplified with troughs and waves so a block (or high pressure) can build and divert depressions away from us. In Summer this normally means warm and settled weather. Paradoxically in Winter it tends to give us colder weather. However most of the year, unfortunately for us, the Jet Stream just kinda gets stuck in it's default pattern racing around a small ribbon of the Northern Hemisphere aimed right at us. As observed for the past four weeks this tends to bring us the tiresome train of depressions off the Atlantic with little end in sight.

The more disjointed and amplified the stream becomes the better. It also splits sometimes aswell with a second ribbon going much further South, sometimes around the Med, whilst the original Northern flow can end up to the North of Greenland....In Winter this means Northerlies and cold weather.

As for prospects for the next week or two - we just need the flow to buckle temporarily.

MT what are your thoughts as to the prospects?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

There are several sites where you can observe the forecast track of the Jet Stream

The one most commonly used here is on the Wetterzentrale website

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=gfsh500;sess=

Here is another one

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=5

The profile of the jet stream is very important for our weather. Preferably we don't want to see it high tailing it across the Atlantic at us like a big vindictive finger. We want to see it amplified with troughs and waves so a block (or high pressure) can build and divert depressions away from us. In Summer this normally means warm and settled weather. Paradoxically in Winter it tends to give us colder weather. However most of the year, unfortunately for us, the Jet Stream just kinda gets stuck in it's default pattern racing around a small ribbon of the Northern Hemisphere aimed right at us. As observed for the past four weeks this tends to bring us the tiresome train of depressions off the Atlantic with little end in sight.

The more disjointed and amplified the stream becomes the better. It also splits sometimes aswell with a second ribbon going much further South, sometimes around the Med, whilst the original Northern flow can end up to the North of Greenland....In Winter this means Northerlies and cold weather.

As for prospects for the next week or two - we just need the flow to buckle temporarily.

MT what are your thoughts as to the prospects?

Is anyone predicting where the jet stream will be next summer.

Wednesday, 5 August, 2009

TODAY will feature some longer sunny intervals and rather warm temperatures rising to about 21 or 22 C in eastern counties, compared to about 18 C in the west where cloud may be more prevalent. Some showers are likely to brush by western Mayo and others could develop here and there in west-central counties later on, but many will experience a fairly dry day and winds will ease off somewhat after a windy start in Galway and Mayo.

TONIGHT will be partly to mostly cloudy with lows near 13 C.

THURSDAY will be partly cloudy to sunny with more cloud in the northwest, and a slight chance of a shower there. Highs will reach about 18 or 19 C.

FRIDAY to SUNDAY is now looking quite settled and in most places at least partly sunny, in fact some eastern and southern counties could see a lot of sunshine, and highs will slowly edge up from about 19 to about 22 C, with rather cool nights reaching 8-10 C before sunrise each morning. Winds will be generally rather light, adding to the warmer feel.

NEXT WEEK is starting to look quite warm to borderline hot with highs possibly reaching the mid 20s in eastern counties especially; the light SSW flow will cool south and west coast locations a little, but it should be quite summery for several days.

As to the rising jet stream, this seems to be a process already underway now and lifting the remnants of the nearby ocean storm away from the west coast towards Iceland, which is cancelling out the effects of cooler air rotating around the system and keeping the weather more or less "steady as she goes" for a few days. Next year, well I will not even hazard a guess there.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Great, at least I know my radio aerial wont blow down this weekend ;)

UPDATE _ Wednesday, 9:30 p.m.

Things continue to look very nice for the foreseeable future, especially through the weekend and next week ... no big changes in the forecast then.

Around where I live, the heat wave has broken down finally, we had quite a bit of cloud all morning from a marine layer on westerly winds, now that is breaking to reveal some afternoon sunshine, but it is a comfortable 21 C.

• Advertisement

Looks promising indeed

Rtavn1441.png

Rtavn1442.png

ECM diverges from this setup considerably though. So far from nailed but a definate improvement on recent weeks.

Id say your glad to have those cooler temperatures there MT.

Thursday, 6 August, 2009

TODAY will see cloud brushing the west coast and bringing some light showers at times there, but longer sunny intervals are likely in most other parts of Ireland. The cloud and showers could try to edge a bit further east at times into central Ireland and parts of Ulster. Highs today will be generally near 17 C in the west and 20 C in the east.

TONIGHT will continue about the same, with more cloud in the west and north than other parts of Ireland, and lows reflecting this, only dropping to about 12 or 13 C in the cloudy west and north, but 8-10 C under clear skies further south and east.

FRIDAY will probably see even more widespread sunshine but there is a slight chance of longer cloudy intervals and brief showers across the far northwest, mainly Donegal and parts of Mayo. Highs will be about the same as today, mostly near 20 C.

SATURDAY should continue reasonably warm and dry with partly cloudy to sunny skies, just a slight chance of a shower in the west and north, and lows near 9 C followed by highs near 21 C.

SUNDAY could be even a little warmer, and still sunny for most, with highs of about 22 C.

MONDAY to WEDNESDAY look fine, with various guidance disagreeing only as to how warm it might get, the average of all predictions is about 22-24 C with some warmer possibilities showing 24-27 C in eastern counties. Whatever verifies it is likely that the west coast will be cooler due to an onshore seabreeze, and usually the south coast picks up a southerly seabreeze in these patterns as well, so locally it could be around 18 C near the sea, trending to 21 C well inland.

Yes, I am enjoying the more comfortable temperatures, saves me from having to go that far, which I was considering by day seven of the 30 plus heat wave. :D

• Thursday, 6 August, 2009

TODAY will see cloud brushing the west coast and bringing some light showers at times there, but longer sunny intervals are likely in most other parts of Ireland. The cloud and showers could try to edge a bit further east at times into central Ireland and parts of Ulster. Highs today will be generally near 17 C in the west and 20 C in the east.
    Theres actually an attempt at some convergence convection here inland in the East from the Wicklow mountains south to Mt Leinster.
    I can see building cb's-so the probability of homegrown showers or a thunderstorm in the south east is there also today.
    Some of the other showers elsewhere in the country or a thunderstorm or two might mirror exactly what they did yesterday.
    I'm not expecting many but it's currently looking like there will be some.

• Those cb's have just given a sharp shower here on the East Wicklow coast.
    This has further enhanced my thinking that potentialy thundery convection is going to continue with more pep in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

You're right BB won't be cutting grass today Damn..Great!

• The east coast convergence convection has established itself pretty well at this stage-separate to the other shower activity and if I may say so more organised in to a straight long thin line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Looks like rain heading our way from the west on Friday night, not impressed as was planning on going camping :mad:.

Friday, 7 August, 2009

TODAY will feature some longer sunny intervals in most parts of Ireland, while cloud advances slowly east ahead of some light rain that may reach the outer west coast by mid-day but probably won't affect west-central Ireland until evening. There is also some hope that this rain will be patchy and losing what strength it has at present (which looks like 3-5 mms potential for the western coastal districts). So in other words, it should be a dry and fairly sunny day for most other parts, and highs may reach 20 or 21 C. A few very light showers meanwhile are edging away from the east coast and parts of Ulster but the cloud associated may linger for a few hours this morning.

TONIGHT, what's left of this rain is likely to edge further east, but the rain may only be heavy enough to measure in the northwest and some central counties. Further south and east it could remain dry, although cloud is likely to spread into all other counties. Lows will be about 10-13 C.

SATURDAY should find the patchy rain still left in this weak system crossing Ulster and some other parts of central and eastern Ireland. For most of the west and south, the day should see gradual improvement with low cloud giving way to partly cloudy skies and some late afternoon and evening sunshine. Rainfall across the northeast may be in the range of 3-7 mms but the steadier or heavier amounts will likely be in Northern Ireland. Highs on Saturday will range from near 21 C in the inland south and southwest, to 17 C in the northeast, probably around 19 C in Dublin.

SUNDAY looks fairly dry also, with the main issue being possible low cloud and drizzle in places especially in western counties, as a warm front develops to the west and edges towards Ireland through the day. With any luck there could be some clearing of this cloud by mid-morning, and eastern counties may have more sunshine in any case. After morning lows near 9-12 C the afternoon lows should be about 18 C in the west to 22 C in the east.

MONDAY to WEDNESDAY is still looking warmer, the best chance for higher temperatures and warm sunshine is in the east and inland south, whereas the west and south coasts could be socked in by low cloud and fog at times. This should be confined to the near-coastal areas and temperatures are likely to increase rapidly away from this lower cloud and fog, to reach 22-26 C in much of the country, but only 17-19 C along the exposed coasts. The east coast on the other hand should enjoy the warmer conditions with a generally SW to W breeze.

LATER NEXT WEEK the prospects are for showers followed by considerably cooler weather arriving (naturally) around Friday night.

So in general for this weekend, it's a case of fingers crossed that it will either be not too bad, or even turning out quite pleasant despite some low cloud or spotty drizzle to start. At any rate, it's the weekend. :D

UPDATE _ Friday, 10 p.m.

Not much change in the forecast models, various weak systems continue to drift along, threatening mostly light rain and more for the northwest than other parts of Ireland. At present, these are timed for about Saturday morning and Sunday night into Monday morning. Some parts of the southeast may get nothing more than traces of rain, while the northwest could see 3-5 mm amounts from each of these. What it means, in general, is that the sun will be fighting to get through layers of cloud and so it may be about Tuesday before there is more sun than cloud for most locations; however, there could be brief sunny intervals on Saturday and somewhat longer sunny breaks on Sunday. All in all, not the worst weekend of the past half dozen.

Meanwhile, our heat wave broke down a few days ago and since then it has remained quite cool near the coast with a marine layer of low stratus cloud hanging around each day to about 2 p.m., at which time it breaks to hazy sunshine. Today it is just doing that slowly but surely, and it is a rather clammy 19 C outside. We have had no rain here yet since the heat ended, but inland parts of B.C. have seen scattered thunderstorms, and the fires mentioned earlier are somewhat more under control although not totally out by any means.

Saturday, 8 August, 2009

TODAY will start out cloudy with sporadic drizzle continuing to track eastwards across the northern parts of the country, but by mid-day there could be some brighter periods and the sun could be out for a while in the afternoon and early evening especially in the south and west. Highs will reach about 18 to 20 C.

TONIGHT will tend to become foggy or misty with drizzle returning to most western and later northern districts. Lows will be rather mild, near 13 C.

SUNDAY will have some brighter intervals again by mid-morning, then some light rain may edge into the northwest by late afternoon, but it will feel quite warm and humid, with highs near 20 C (possibly 22 C in the southeast).

SUNDAY NIGHT will bring a period of steadier rain across most northern districts, and foggy or misty conditions further south, with lows near 14 C.

MONDAY, the rain should gradually end with some brighter intervals by mid-day and sunshine by afternoon in at least the southern and eastern parts of the country. Highs will range from 18 C in the northwest, to 23 C in the southeast.

TUESDAY to THURSDAY is looking quite warm and at times sunny, with some lingering low cloud or fog near the western and southern coasts. The east coast in particular should be warm thanks to a westerly breeze, and highs there could reach 22-24 C. Elsewhere it is likely to be around 20 C, and nights will remain quite warm, near 14 C. Showers may arrive by late Thursday in advance of a cooling trend.

FRIDAY is likely to be windy, showery and somewhat cooler, then the following WEEKEND is likely to bring considerably cooler weather on gusty W to NW winds, with showers mixed in, and temperatures falling back to the 15-17 C range in the daytime.

Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

• Advertisement

Sunday, 9 August, 2009

TODAY will start out rather misty or locally foggy, with widespread low cloud and some drizzle in the west, but by mid-morning there should be some brighter intervals and eventually some sunshine away from the south and west coasts. Highs will reach 22 C in the warmer east and southeast, but more like 19 C elsewhere.

TONIGHT will bring some intervals of light rain mostly to the northwest and this may amount to 5 mms in places. Further east and south, this will be more like low cloud or drizzle with fog developing. Lows will be quite mild, near 15 C.

MONDAY will start out with more low cloud and fog or mist, then brighten to some afternoon sunshine with warm highs near 23 C in the east, 20 C elsewhere.

TUESDAY to THURSDAY should be mainly dry and warm, despite some morning fog and heavy dew, with mild morning lows near 14 C. Partly cloudy to hazy sunny skies will be accompanied by highs around 22-24 C in many places, 20 C closer to the west and south coasts.

FRIDAY is likely to bring strong SW winds and heavy showers or thundershowers, with highs near 21 C.

SATURDAY will also be very breezy to windy, with passing showers and highs near 17 C.

SUNDAY will then be cloudy with afternoon sunny breaks, strong NW'ly winds and rather cool, highs near 16 C.

However, next week is looking rather warm and settled again, so the pattern is improving, it is the timing that needs some work.

(The weather here on Saturday was cloudy and rather cool with highs around 19 or 20 C. Expecting the first rain in quite some time today, not very much, but anything would help with the dry conditions)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2003/feb/16/irish-farmers-swap-bills-and-bureaucracy-for-canad/

re the plains of Canada
    "The Canadian summer is glorious and the winter is snowy and cold, but we get four predictable and defined seasons here, unlike at home where it just rains and rains, " Norman said.

UPDATE _ Sunday, 5:30 p.m.

The southwest will receive some intermittent rain this evening amounting to about 5-7 mms, while some parts of the northwest will see 3-5 mms. Further east this becomes more of a patchy drizzle and amounts of 1-2 mms would be about the most likely to fall overnight. The rainfall activity developing over the southwest is sliding in a southeasterly direction rather rapidly and should be largely finished by midnight over Cork. In general this rain is being generated by a warm front that will pass during the night and keep low-level moisture hanging around well into Monday morning, so expect a somewhat foggy or misty start to the day with high humidity levels making the 16-18 C temps feel like about 20 C. It does continue to look like gradual improvement as the week progresses, although fog and mist may remain an issue near the south coast and the west coast due to the air mass having a higher dew point temperature (17-18 C) than the ocean temperatures near 15 C.

Monday, 10 August, 2009

TODAY will start out cloudy with widespread mist or light fog, then eventually some sunshine is likely to develop, with highs of about 22 C in the east, 20 C in most other parts of Ireland, and 17 C near the south and west coasts.

TONIGHT will become misty and then foggy in many places, but it will remain quite mild with lows near 15 C.

TUESDAY is likely to be similar with morning low cloud and fog giving way to partly cloudy, warm conditions with intervals of sunshine, and highs near 23 C in the east, 19 C in the west and south coastal districts.

WEDNESDAY may start out with morning lows near 15 C, with some brief light rain or drizzle especially in the west and north before more sunshine develops, and highs should reach 22-24 C.

THURSDAY will bring more sunny intervals, after a somewhat cooler morning low of about 9-12 cC, and highs near 21 C.

FRIDAY there may be some stronger winds and showers, or locally heavy thundershowers, with highs near 21 C.

THE WEEKEND is looking breezy, showery at times, and somewhat cooler in stages, with 19 C on Saturday and about 17 C on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sligotrue

Drier and Brighter for August with less rain than July would seem to be the Summary for August http://weathergossip.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Hope it stays dry for the 'Tall Ships' next weekend. See a couple of them 'parked' at Clarendon Dock already. :)

UPDATE _ Monday, 10 August, 2009 _ 10 p.m.

No big changes to make, just my report on the weather here, which has turned much cooler and (thankfully) wetter with about 15 mms of rain so far today, a fairly steady light rain since early morning, with temperatures stuck around 16 or 17 C. Quite a contrast to the heat wave recently, but so far the inland fire zones have not received very much of this rain, at least there it has cooled down to about 21 C.

Tuesday, 11 August, 2009

TODAY should turn out to be quite pleasant with at least some sunshine, except perhaps near the south coast where fog may be persistent, and also in Donegal and the northern parts of NI, where cloud heading for Scotland may stream across most of the day. That leaves most of Ireland under partly to mostly sunny skies, once the morning mist thins out, and temperatures heading for about 23 C away from slightly cooler sea breezes from a westerly direction (south near the south and east coasts). The southwest may see an increase in cloud late in the day from a weak system well out in the Atlantic this morning, but this should remain dry.

TONIGHT will be quite pleasant too with rather warm overnight lows of 12-14 C and clear to partly cloudy skies until late fog develops.

WEDNESDAY should also start out dry with some sunshine, however, there now appears to be some risk of showers with a weak frontal wave, most likely in the southwest. Highs will reach 22-24 C in the east, and about 20 C in the west. If rain does materialize, it should move in quite slowly and outside of Kerry it may not bring a measurable amount until evening.

THURSDAY is likely to be cloudy with some sunny intervals, and the morning may have some lingering light rain or showers ... highs will be close to 21 C after mild morning lows of about 14 C.

FRIDAY is now looking less windy than previously advertised, because the weekend low is evolving on a somewhat slower schedule. It is still likely to be cloudy with periods of rain developing, becoming heavier by evening. Highs will be around 19-21 C.

SATURDAY could be quite stormy on current guidance, with heavy showers and thunderstorms. Gusty winds may follow by evening, from the SW veering to WNW overnight. Highs will be about 18-19 C.

SUNDAY is then likely to be cloudy with afternoon sunny intervals, passing showers, and strong NW'ly winds possibly gusting to gale force ... stay tuned as this may turn out to be quite a blustery day for various outdoor activities. The current guidance suggests wind gusts to 55 mph possible off the west coast.

Well, enjoy today, it may turn out to be the pick of the week in most places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Well, enjoy today, it may turn out to be the pick of the week in most places.

reminder to self - cut grass this evening or rent the plot to farmer for hay making!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Oh lovely I have Italian friends coming over for their first visit to Ireland on Friday. The weather is going to greet them with fury I can see :(. Thanks again MT

Advertisement