Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Foxes

• 07-10-2019 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I keep hens, the kids love them and we get a steady supply of eggs of the family. I had 14 hens, I am now down to 10. I lost 1 last week, hen was killed and was left in the garden. This week I lost 3 more in the same day and all 3 bodies were left in the garden.

The kills happened between 3pm - 4pm each time. In both cases I arrived about 15-20 mins after the kills.

I am a licenced Shotgun owner but I primarily shoot sporting clay, skeet, OT.

The garden is only about 50-60 yards long and I have a hut about halfway down the garden.

I have the Bestfoxcaller SS.

Good or bad idea to load 5s and try a call?

I can't have anymore hens taken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

ZiabR wrote: »
    Hi,

So I keep hens, the kids love them and we get a steady supply of eggs of the family. I had 14 hens, I am now down to 10. I lost 1 last week, hen was killed and was left in the garden. This week I lost 3 more in the same day and all 3 bodies were left in the garden.

The kills happened between 3pm - 4pm each time. In both cases I arrived about 15-20 mins after the kills.

The garden is only about 50-60 yards long and I have a hut about halfway down the garden.

Are you in the country on your own or surrounded by neighbors?

Could also be a Mink. They kill for fun, not food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

garv123 wrote: »
    Are you in the country on your own or surrounded by neighbors?

Could also be a Mink. They kill for fun, not food.

I am on the edge of very large agricultural land. So my house is the last house on a small road that leads into crop fields. Whatever is killing them is getting in through the fencing at the back of the garden. I did find a few prints that looked big enough to be a Fox. It could well be a Mink alright.

I just don't want to have to keep the hens locked up which is what I have been doing since I lost the 3 in one day.

What would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

A fox out killing chickens in the middle of the day would be very odd behaviour for a healthy fox.

Car99 wrote: »
    A fox out killing chickens in the middle of the day would be very odd behaviour for a healthy fox.

I did think that alright. Maybe I am looking at a Mink then.

I am on the edge of very large agricultural land. So my house is the last house on a small road that leads into crop fields. Whatever is killing them is getting in through the fencing at the back of the garden. I did find a few prints that looked big enough to be a Fox. It could well be a Mink alright.

I just don't want to have to keep the hens locked up which is what I have been doing since I lost the 3 in one day.

What would you recommend?

You should be good enough to go so. you have to be 60 feet from the middle of the road..

Leave a dead chicken out as bait and try calling, stay well hidden with as little movement as possible. Do you know who owns the land bordering yours? Could be worth asking the farmer can you walk the land and try calling from the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Definitely a mink I'd say especially if the bird was left.To be honest they Normally kill all the birds at one go but Get a mink trap with a few fish heads and you will get him , he will come back.

You should be good enough to go so. you have to be 60 feet from the middle of the road..

Leave a dead chicken out as bait and try calling, stay well hidden with as little movement as possible. Do you know who owns the land bordering yours? Could be worth asking the farmer can you walk the land and try calling from the field.

Yes, I walk the land quite a bit alright and know the owner. I am well off the road, at least 200 foot to where my back garden starts.

If I am looking at a Mink as opposed to a fox, what are my options?

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Definitely a mink I'd say especially if the bird was left.To be honest they Normally kill all the birds at one go but Get a mink trap with a few fish heads and you will get him , he will come back.

Thanks for the advice. I presume I can release the Mink elsewhere? I don't want to needlessly destroy the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I've cleaned the thread up. Next post out of line will lead to some time away from the forum.

Thanks for the advice. I presume I can release the Mink elsewhere? I don't want to needlessly destroy the animal.

No lad use your shotgun on him, don't attempt to handle him they would attack , are very aggressive and a bite from them would not be nice. We had a shed of 30 duck killed in one night. Starting to get more plentiful down our side, are you near a river or stream??

• Advertisement

No lad use your shotgun on him, don't attempt to handle him they would attack , are very aggressive and a bite from them would not be nice. We had a shed of 30 duck killed in one night. Starting to get more plentiful down our side, are you near a river or stream??

Yes, there is running water about 2 fields over. Its more like a stream. I will source a trap then and give it a go.

Yes, there is running water about 2 fields over. Its more like a stream. I will source a trap then and give it a go.

Sure sign so, bait it with mackerel or even a tin of fish and you will get him, best to put it under a bit of cover if possible. Local gun club might have traps if you know lads in it.

The mink will just do damage to someone elses chiekens if you release it.

The mink will just do damage to someone elses chiekens if you release it.

Fair point. Thanks for the advice lads.

Sure sign so, bait it with mackerel or even a tin of fish and you will get him, best to put it under a bit of cover if possible. Local gun club might have traps if you know lads in it.

I will ask at my local gun club. Thanks again.

https://www.handyhardware.ie/product/46467/Pest-Stop-Mink-Cage-Trap?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI95_KiamK5QIVw8reCh09VwRvEAQYASABEgLlD_D_BwE

This should be ok? Seems very cheap? Might be better to just buy two of them, at least I have them incase I get more Mink in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Kill the mink and all belonging to him if you can.

https://www.handyhardware.ie/product/46467/Pest-Stop-Mink-Cage-Trap?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI95_KiamK5QIVw8reCh09VwRvEAQYASABEgLlD_D_BwE

This should be ok? Seems very cheap? Might be better to just buy two of them, at least I have them incase I get more Mink in the future.

Yes they'll do, I have one myself at home. if you catch one keep the traps set up, there could be more than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

fox coming to the yard here at half 4 in the morning for the last 3 weeks driving the dogs mad waking me up watching it from the conservatory boldly walking around the lawn ****ting all over the place, i'm still trying to locate its route and bait it and wait up for the night, in your case if it is a fox bait the route its using and wait about a half hour before its arrival don't call or squeak, slowly lift barrels and drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Those traps aint great. They will do, but flimsy enough. I'm thinking more on the lines of P Marten or young fox. You say, they are being killed in the garden. So not an enclosed pen?

By the way, it is illegal to release a mink back into the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Suprised no one has said it yet but what about a pine marten. You said you seen bigger than mink footprints. They are bigger than mink and kill in the same kind of style as a mink does. Killing whatever they get their teeth into and not often eaten then entire carcass. If it’s a pine marten they are protected. So killing is not allowed. You’d have to confirm it first man. Sorry to hear about the chickens.

Suprised no one has said it yet but what about a pine marten. You said you seen bigger than mink footprints. They are bigger than mink and kill in the same kind of style as a mink does. Killing whatever they get their teeth into and not often eaten then entire carcass. If it’s a pine marten they are protected. So killing is not allowed. You’d have to confirm it first man. Sorry to hear about the chickens.

Read post above yours:p

Eddie B wrote: »
    Those traps aint great. They will do, but flimsy enough. I'm thinking more on the lines of P Marten or young fox. You say, they are being killed in the garden. So not an enclosed pen?

By the way, it is illegal to release a mink back into the countryside.

Thanks Eddie. I will put out the traps and see how I get on. I was not aware of that about P. Martins so if it turns out to be one of them, I will not kill it.

Yes, my hens have a coop and a 12 foot x 6 foot external enclosure that I built, but I let them out to free range in the garden. My garden is completely fenced in with a 4 foot fence, but the box fence tacked to the fence would easily allow a Mink, P. Martin or even a small fox squeeze through. Full size hen cannot fit through the wire. That said, an adult fox could easily jump the fence.

Thanks Eddie. I will put out the traps and see how I get on. I was not aware of that about P. Martins so if it turns out to be one of them, I will not kill it.

Yes, my hens have a coop and a 12 foot x 6 foot external enclosure that I built, but I let them out to free range in the garden. My garden is completely fenced in with a 4 foot fence, but the box fence tacked to the fence would easily allow a Mink, P. Martin or even a small fox squeeze through. Full size hen cannot fit through the wire. That said, an adult fox could easily jump the fence.

Ok, we'll of course you can't rule out mink, or any other predator, BUT with the hens being taken out in the open, it's less likely to be mink or stoat. Most mustilids have a knack of getting into pens, unless they are properly secured, which your's might well be. Out in the open, fox would be my first guess, followed by marten. May I ask where abouts in the country you are?

As you said, get your traps, and set them. Every poultry keeper should have traps set all year round, so you won't be wasting your money even if it turns out to be a fox.

The only other advise I can give, is seek a knowledgeable sort in the area who could come out and inspect your garden. There is always clues left behind. You just need to know what to look for.

I am in County Louth. Would you believe, on the way to work this morning about 100 yards from my house, there was a fox just walking down the road, broad daylight, without a care in the world, just went in through a farm gate and off into a field.

Not for a minute saying that this is the fox that has killed my hens but hard to look past it. Very close to my house.

I am still going to get the traps and set them, as you said, all year round.

Normal for a fox to kill in daylight and not take any of the kills away? Seems odd no? I might take a walk around the garden later and do a little more checking. Might post up some photos of the setup and see if you guys can offer more insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I am in County Louth. Would you believe, on the way to work this morning about 100 yards from my house, there was a fox just walking down the road, broad daylight, without a care in the world, just went in through a farm gate and off into a field.

Not for a minute saying that this is the fox that has killed my hens but hard to look past it. Very close to my house.

I am still going to get the traps and set them, as you said, all year round.

Normal for a fox to kill in daylight and not take any of the kills away? Seems odd no? I might take a walk around the garden later and do a little more checking. Might post up some photos of the setup and see if you guys can offer more insight.

Not out of the ordinary for a young fox, a hungry vixen will kill in broad daylight but unlikely to leave the carcass unless they’re disturbed.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Not out of the ordinary for a young fox, a hungry vixen will kill in broad daylight but unlikely to leave the carcass unless they’re disturbed.

Yes agree. I have seen it before, but only in a pen situation where the fox was unable to get back out whilst carrying a bird, so just left them behind. Young fox's are well grown now, so even they should be able to climb a four foot fence carrying a hen no bother.

Be very interesting to see what it is

Ordered 2 x Traps this morning, arriving Thursday. I will keep you posted if I catch anything.

The fox I saw this morning was an adult, or maybe this years offspring, big enough to clear my fence without a doubt.

Ordered 2 x Traps this morning, arriving Thursday. I will keep you posted if I catch anything.

The fox I saw this morning was an adult, or maybe this years offspring, big enough to clear my fence without a doubt.

Great, best bet is to set the traps up against the outside of the pen. Whatever it is, will be traveling the perimeter of the pen each night. You may be able to see a track around the pen if you have a look.

Yes, pictures would be great if you can upload some. Most important thing is to make sure it can't get into that pen. If it gets into your pen and your hens are out, you will lose the lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi,

well if he is coming in around same time each day be it mink,fox there is no need to start calling,sit tight in the shed an hour before the approximate time and sit tight,he seems to have habit of turning up same time every day

Advertisement