Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dna results

• 28-12-2018 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭

So i was always under the impression my ancestors were unlikely to have travelled far and other than the many to have immigrated from Ireland there wasnt likely to be many exotic influences.
    I did the ancestry test anyhow but wondering how unusual it is to have absolutely no foriegn dna.
    I seem to be 100% cork and kerry. Is this level normal? Feeling a bit inbred this morning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

I have Italian ancestry in my family but none of it appeared in my dna testing, I'm just too far removed/didn't get the dna from that side. Some of my cousins though could easily pass for being Italian and i always wondered what their dna tests would show.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

pawrick wrote: »
    I have Italian ancestry in my family but none of it appeared in my dna testing, I'm just too far removed/didn't get the dna from that side. Some of my cousins though could easily pass for being Italian and i always wondered what their dna tests would show.

I'm a good chunk of Italian, and my daughter is even more as she gets it from her dad's side too, but there is no Italian that shows up in either of our DNA tests, so I'm convinced it shows up as France in the ethnicity results. It shows 7% France for me and 35% for my daughter, and it encompasses parts of Italy according to the DNA map on Ancestry. I have no known French ancestry, so I'm thinking this must be the Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Have you updated the results?

Updated my dad’s recently which confirmed that his GGG Grandmother came from the US (mid 1800s) and brought with her a minute amount of Native American (although she was Caucasian, we suspect by dilution & era she was approximately ¼ NA).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

hammy007 wrote: »
    I'm a good chunk of Italian, and my daughter is even more as she gets it from her dad's side too, but there is no Italian that shows up in either of our DNA tests, so I'm convinced it shows up as France in the ethnicity results. It shows 7% France for me and 35% for my daughter, and it encompasses parts of Italy according to the DNA map on Ancestry. I have no known French ancestry, so I'm thinking this must be the Italian.

I have distant family in Brazil who never knew of their Irish ancestry as they assumed the Italian side went direct from Italy to Brazil, they missed out on the part where the Italian side moved to Ireland during the Napoleonic wars in Italy, intermarried and raised children here before re emigrating to Brazil. Some of the children (all the men as it happens) who moved to Brazil later returned to Ireland to continue our line here while the rest stayed in Brazil, the Brazilian side didn't know the history that far back until they found us on ancestry and we filled in the gaps for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

hammy007 wrote: »

About three quarters of the population in the Departement of Alpes-Maritimes (+/- the Cote d'Azur) has some Italian ancestry and about half of that number is almost entirely Italian. If you look at the history of Nice & Savoy you will get the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

About three quarters of the population in the Departement of Alpes-Maritimes (+/- the Cote d'Azur) has some Italian ancestry and about half of that number is almost entirely Italian. If you look at the history of Nice & Savoy you will get the picture.

Thanks for the info, that probably explains the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Crap so i seem to be alone, i was thinking this was a new update and others were getting very narrow results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Balmed Out wrote: »
    So i was always under the impression my ancestors were unlikely to have travelled far and other than the many to have immigrated from Ireland there wasnt likely to be many exotic influences.
    I did the ancestry test anyhow but wondering how unusual it is to have absolutely no foriegn dna.
    I seem to be 100% cork and kerry. Is this level normal? Feeling a bit inbred this morning!

I'm 100% Ireland/Scotland, my dad is 100% Ireland/Scotland and my mom is 98% Ireland/Scotland + 2% "England, Wales & NW Europe"

It's really a case that as Ancestry (which is what I'm assuming you did as you mention Genetic Community) has gotten bigger dataset they are better able to draw out what average Irish person looks like (they use to have me as 89% with trace regions, which have now all gone in their calculator)

The other half got her results there she came back as:
    • 89% Philippines
    • 3% England, Wales, NW Europe
    • 3% France
    • 2% Portugal
    • 2% Korean and Northern China
    • 1% Spain
    • <1% Ivory Coast/Ghana

So in other words:
    • 91% Asian
    • 9% European
    • <1% African

(I know the above adds up to >100% -- but it's what it says)

Obviously there's range in it, in case of the Philippines she's got a range of 84%-93% -- what I should point out is one of her Great-Grandfathers is down as Spanish. It's interesting the difference with her 23andme results which have:
    • 85.3% South-East Asia (Philippines and Guam)
    • 2.4% Chinese
    • 0.4% Native American
    • 0.3% Broadly East Asian & Native American
    • 3.4% Iberian
    • 3.5% Broadly Southern European
    • 0.8% Broadly Northwestern European
    • 1.8% Broadly European
    • 0.3% West African
    • 0.4% Unassigned!!!

That results in 23andme region breakdown of:
    • 89.8% East Asian & Native American
    • 9.5% European
    • 0.3% Sub-Saharan African
    • 0.4% Unassigned

My feeling is the AncestryDNA result regions (particulary the 'England, Wales & NW European') have changed the French region to grab areas on the periphery particulary in Northern Iberia. The fact that their 'Portugal' region covers half of Spain (in map view) and 'Spain' also covers most of Portugal, makes me thinks they probably should have relabled these regions as 'West Iberian' and 'East Iberian' -- of course what they need is considerably higher sampleset from Southern Europe to perhaps spilt out other clusters or to make their clusters more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I'm 98% Ireland and Scotland while my mum and paternal aunt are 100% so you're not alone. A lot of Irish people (unless they know of ancestry from other countries) get very high Ireland and Scotland in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

We done my grandfathers DNA and we got 100% Ireland with north and south Galway and Galway as genetic communities. More purebred than a pedigree limousine!

Not just the autosomal but the Y-DNA with FTDNA also shows that my paternal line has been in the one area since about 1000 AD when the surname first arose. The ancestor lived somewhere around Roscommon and Galway while my family are still living in Roscommon so that line didn't move too far anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Out of interest what haplogroup is it (probably R1b, but did you get a subgroup)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

You're not alone!

100% Munster here - Cork specifically.
    Was hoping I'd be a bit more exotic!

Ipso wrote: »
    Out of interest what haplogroup is it (probably R1b, but did you get a subgroup)?

Yes, it's R1b. Below that it's L21, DF13, DF23, FGC6545 and BY3440 positive with the terminal given as R-Y160102.

I'm assuming your surname might begin with a 'K' based on that Y-DNA eh?

dubhthach wrote: »
    I'm assuming your surname might begin with a 'K' based on that Y-DNA eh?

There are no flies on you. There's no need to worry about anyone tracking me down with a common surname like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bluezulu49

srmf5 wrote: »
    Yes, it's R1b. Below that it's L21, DF13, DF23, FGC6545 and BY3440 positive with the terminal given as R-Y160102.

Sorry to derail slightly but what level of Y dna testing did you do to get these results?

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Sorry to derail slightly but what level of Y dna testing did you do to get these results?

I ordered the Big Y with FTDNA. FTDNA tend to have big reductions during sale periods such as Christmas so most wait to order until there's a sale.

The great thing about the BigY (though expensive) is that it actually sequences a large chunk of the Y-Chromosome. So not only does it check if a person is positive for known mutations it also discovers SNP mutations which are unique to that persons lineage.

So for example if you were to get a 2nd cousin to test you would see list of mutations that were inherited from last common ancestor on Y-Chromosome (eg. Great-Grandfather).

A really interesting example is work been done among the O'Brien's. Basically they got 'Baron Inchiquin' (Conor Myles John O'Brien, 18th Baron Inchiquin) to do a BigY test. He's the 32nd Great-Grandson of Brian Boru. As a result you can use him as a scaffold to gradually build out the lineage eg. see where various men with name O'Brien branched off etc.

In the case of srmf5 above, the 'chief of the name' has also done BigY. As a result there's general idea using some of dating methods on when some of the branches first arose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm an American with some Irish heritage and over here it would be very unusual to find someone who was 100% anything, unless they were a recent immigrant.

That said, the DNA mixes should be taken with a grain of salt. I have mine up on Ancestry, 23andMe, and other sites (my dad was adopted - we were searching for his bio family & found them), and each mix is a little bit different from the other.

Ancestry says I'm 34% Irish/Scottish, 48% British/Northwestern European, 13% Portuguese & 3% French.

23andMe says I'm 34% Irish/British, 19% Northwestern European, 25% Portuguese and 15% French/German with a little bit of Scandinavian and Sub Saharan African.

For the record, my mother's side has been in the US a long time and are Scottish (who lived in Donegal at the time they immigrated), English and German-Swiss. My father's paternal great grandparents came from the Azores and his maternal great grandparents immigrated from Ireland.

So it may be that another site has a different interpretation. Or you could just be 100% Irish, which is pretty cool and probably pretty rare all things considered.

I'm an American with some Irish heritage and over here it would be very unusual to find someone who was 100% anything, unless they were a recent immigrant.

That said, the DNA mixes should be taken with a grain of salt. I have mine up on Ancestry, 23andMe, and other sites (my dad was adopted - we were searching for his bio family & found them), and each mix is a little bit different from the other.

So it may be that another site has a different interpretation. Or you could just be 100% Irish, which is pretty cool and probably pretty rare all things considered.

Well these are my results with the different companies:
    Ancestry: 98% Ireland and Scotland and 2% England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe.
    FTDNA: 100% British Isles
    MyHeritage: 100% Irish, Scottish and Welsh

Mother
    Ancestry: 100% Ireland and Scotland
    FTDNA: 100% British Isles
    MyHeritage: 85.1% Irish, Scottish and Welsh, 14.9% English
    Living DNA: 100% Ireland

Father
    FTDNA: 99% British Isles and <1% South America

Paternal aunt
    Ancestry: 100% Ireland and Scotland

Paternal Great aunt
    Ancestry: 98% Ireland and Scotland, 2% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe

The results are all in the high 90s except for my mum's MyHeritage result. I only know of Irish ancestry so all my family would fit in with the recent immigrant category if we were living in America (that or our ancestors only married Irish people). Of course, I don't think that my ancestors were only Irish since there were Normans in Ireland and there probably is some English ancestry. One of my ancestors was supposed to have been Church of Ireland which itself likely indicates a link to Britain. England is the only other ancestry that gets a percentage (well except South America but I think it's safe to ignore that as noise). However, in the time frame that these autosomal tests cover, they could have all been Irish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I have a US friend whose ethnicity on Ancestry shows 44% Irish (steadily increasing every time they update). She has no known Irish ancestry. American ancestry is not my specialty but applying the basic rules, I've traced her tree back multiple generations. I've found some people who have Irish-y sounding names but no one who puts Ireland as a birthplace or a parent's birthplace. Highest match is a paternal second cousin which I've confirmed the connection to, so we're not looking at an NPE. Any thoughts?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I have a US friend whose ethnicity on Ancestry shows 44% Irish (steadily increasing every time they update). She has no known Irish ancestry. American ancestry is not my specialty but applying the basic rules, I've traced her tree back multiple generations. I've found some people who have Irish-y sounding names but no one who puts Ireland as a birthplace or a parent's birthplace. Highest match is a paternal second cousin which I've confirmed the connection to, so we're not looking at an NPE. Any thoughts?

Where is her ancestry from and an estimate of percentages if possible? Does she have ancestry from Scotland or even somewhere else in Britain? It would make more sense if her ancestry was from Britain rather than somewhere like Germany that she'd be getting these percentages due to some overlap between the regions with her ancestry being assigned to the wrong region. Some people do seem to get strange percentages with the ethnicity estimates though. Ancestry can be to be quite bad for some people with southern European ancestry from what I've seen online.

It could definitely be overlap, especially if she has heritage elsewhere in the British Isles.

I'm assuming the trail has gone cold before you've been able to find their immigration records. Do you have access to the US records on Ancestry?

A few other things that come to mind:

Name changes. Some of my family members changed the spelling of their names shortly after coming to the US. I had one ancestor enter the US as a Haughey in 1848. Within a generation, that become Hoey. Then it changed back to Haughey. Then it became Hay. And then it became Hoey again. The Portuguese were even worse with their 2 surnames which always got whittled down to one. The sons of Antone and Maria Pereira Oliveira may have started life as Joao Pereira Oliveira and Stephano Pereira Oliveira but ended up as John Oliver and Steven Perry in later records.

And some people just disappear. There are a few lines where it's just a dead end. I'm convinced that there's always some luck involved in genealogical research, especially in a country like the US, which was big and not always well-organized in the early years.

Family lore of Scottish ancestry but literally no one in her tree with a birthplace outside the US (she's Texas but some Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisana ancestry as well). One French Canadian ancestor found so far (gg grandmother). I have more work to do on the tree.

I've just looked at it again and it's actually 44% Irish and Scottish. 55% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe.

Yes, have US Ancestry access (I'm a pro genealogist (Irish) so I have them all)

Genealogy Forum Mod

srmf5 wrote: »

The results are all in the high 90s except for my mum's MyHeritage result. I only know of Irish ancestry so all my family would fit in with the recent immigrant category if we were living in America (that or our ancestors only married Irish people). Of course, I don't think that my ancestors were only Irish since there were Normans in Ireland and there probably is some English ancestry. One of my ancestors was supposed to have been Church of Ireland which itself likely indicates a link to Britain. England is the only other ancestry that gets a percentage (well except South America but I think it's safe to ignore that as noise). However, in the time frame that these autosomal tests cover, they could have all been Irish.

Yes, the autosomal tests focus on more recent ancestors. For example, my dad was placed into the Portuguese and Muenster Irish ethnicity groups on Ancestry. And he has matched with cousins from the US, but also from Brazil, Portugal and Ireland.

My mom, however, was placed into the ethnicity groups for "settlers of the American MidWest," with specific states outlined because most of her ancestors immigrated to the US in the 1600s, and she's not as closely tied to Europe as my dad is. All of her cousins (and she has thousands of 4th cousins or closer) are American.

I'm sure there are Americans who are 100% of something, it's just rare, especially for those who have been here for generations.

Family lore of Scottish ancestry but literally no one in her tree with a birthplace outside the US (she's Texas but some Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisana ancestry as well). One French Canadian ancestor found so far (gg grandmother). I have more work to do on the tree.

I've just looked at it again and it's actually 44% Irish and Scottish. 55% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe.

The 44% is probably reflecting her Scottish ancestry then. After all the category is called Ireland and Scotland. If her only family lore is of ancestry from Scotland, then her percentages don't seem to be too surprising. Even if she was descended only from colonials from the 1600s, she'd still be assigned ancestry from Europe since there's no American category after all. You would expect a French percentage with a French Canadian ancestor but that could have fallen into the Northwestern Europe category.

Scottish would make sense given those numbers and family lore. I assume the French Canadian ancestor is connected to Louisiana.

What's the farthest year you've traced her family back to? If she has English/Scottish heritage in particular, the family could have been in the US for a very long time. But then they would probably have some roots on the East coast, and that would be key to tracing them back to Europe.

• Advertisement

It's about 200 years but they're all southerners! No Yankees :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement