Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to hang a curtain pole in a dry lined room

• 18-11-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi all i hope someone can help. I want to put curtains in my front room the only problem is that the wall is dry-lined. Is there a way to put them up without the weight of the curtains pulling the pole down?? Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres usually some extra timber (battens) located above the window for you to drill into for a curtain. If there isn't you could fix to the studding itself. If thats not a good location, I've seen a board put across, fixed to the studding, then fix the pole to the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Get some "framefixers" if it's for a large/heavy curtain, long enough to go through the plasterboard and straight into the blockwork.. curtains on patio doors etc take alot of abuse and you will pull down the plasterboard if you try and fix the pole to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

abellew wrote: »
    hi all i hope someone can help. I want to put curtains in my front room the only problem is that the wall is dry-lined. Is there a way to put them up without the weight of the curtains pulling the pole down?? Any help would be appreciated

A lot depends on the type of curtain pole brackets. Some brackets spread the load over a reasonable area of the wall and have mounting holes points a few inches apart. These can be hung successfully without too much bother using a combination of glue + heavy-duty plasterboard mounts + not yanking out of the curtains every time you draw them :)

Others (the type you always see pulling loose) have a circular disc-type bracket about the diameter of an egg cup with three mounting holes close together. If you've nothing solid behind the board to screw these into (like a batten or a purposely positioned piece of wood), then a piece of wood across the tope of the windownto spread the load (as mentioned earlier) is about the most straightforward way to ensure a good result - although it doesn't look great.

Best to buy a suitable pole first.

Consider too if you might have kids hanging out of them....Grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    These drywall anchors are specially for this type of work any good hardware store will have them. see picture
    [Embedded Image Removed]

North West

• Advertisement

North West wrote: »
    Hi
    These drywall anchors are specially for this type of work any good hardware store will have them. see picture...]

North West

In my experience they won't carry much weight for long. Ok for light stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

North West wrote: »
    Hi
    These drywall anchors are specially for this type of work any good hardware store will have them. see picture
    [Embedded Image Removed]

North West

Absolute pants. They are rubbish for anything more than a picture. It'll fall down within a week if you use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

buy a stud finder, there really handy and not that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Actually did that job only a few weeks ago. I got plastic dry wall anchors and metal ones. Its quite a heavy wood pole and curtains. The Plastic ones are absolutly USELESS. However the metal ones worked a treat they are really solid.
    Get the proper metal ones if you decide to go drywall anchor anchors. very quick. worked for me anyway:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I had the same problem. Told local hardware shop and he gave me these, steel "plugs",which you hammer into the wall and then when you screw into it, the "wings" expands and told them tight .Tried to lookup a pix on google and the best name I can come up with was Molly bolts!!!

The were cheap as chips, think €1.50 for 10, including the screw and I use them all the time, no drill and one alone could carry ALOT of weight.

Hope this helps, im sure someone on here will know what im talking about or your local hardware shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Modern dry lining does not involve studs, particularly around windows. As for those fixing which are pants, sorry mate they work well but if you gunther the job it happens.

Still, advice is there for the taking - the trick is being able to see the good from the bad. :D

Curtains are really heavy, plus you get people (kids especially) who'll hang out of them. Plastic or steel screws fixing doesn't matter. Plaster board can't take that weight, and over time they'll eventually pull out, leaving a bigger hole in the plaster board.

The ones with the wings are better. But your still relying on plasterboard. So will also pull eventually.

Why does "modern" dry lining not use studs??? First I heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

bette wrote: »
    Modern dry lining does not involve studs, particularly around windows. As for those fixing which are pants, sorry mate they work well but if you gunther the job it happens.

Still, advice is there for the taking - the trick is being able to see the good from the bad. :D[/QUOTE

Free standing plasterboard walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Again, another tool that is complete rubbish. Waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

bette wrote: »

Still, advice is there for the taking - the trick is being able to see the good from the bad. :D[/QUOTE

Free standing plasterboard walls.

With windows? Funny setup that! Windows are usually on the outside facing walls so that light can get in and you can see outside. Now those walls would be drylined...

p34_01a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

buy some 8x150 mm express nails,drill 8mm hole through slab into wall,hammer in express nail with little slot in a sideways position,finally put 7 mm ordinary wall plug into the hollow part of express nail,this will never fail even for kitchen presses rads etc

Advertisement