Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked ham

• 26-03-2010 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Doing a nice ham for dinner on Sunday. I normally boil the crap out of it for several hours. just like my mother used to do, but I think I'll try for a baked alternative this time. I was looking at something like this or this. But I'm wondering

A. where do I get hams like those being cooked? The only hams I ever see on sale are the prepackage fillets you get in the supermarkets, and they never come with fat. Should I be looking in a butchers?

B. has anyone got a recipe for a better glaze than those above?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Even when you bake ham, you boil it first.

Good glaze is always something really simple. I like just mixing some mustard into some honey and brushing it on. I also like to score the fat (about 2cm cubed scores), put a clove into each cube and dust it with sticky brown sugar and them pour some nice cider all over it (letting the cider pool in the baking tray) and then baste the ham with the cooking juices/cider every now and them. tis yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seaneh wrote: »
    Even when you bake ham, you boil it first.

Not necessarily.
    I've cooked ham/bacon entirely in the oven covered with foil then glazed as above with honey, mustard and cloves.
    It comes out very nice but a bit saltier so soaking it first is a good idea.
    You also get very tasty juice from it which is very nice with the cabage!!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Not necessarily.
    I've cooked ham/bacon entirely in the oven covered with foil then glazed as above with honey, mustard and cloves.
    It comes out very nice but a bit saltier so soaking it first is a good idea.
    You also get very tasty juice from it which is very nice with the cabage!!;)

Oh, i know you can do it all in the oven, I just never would, because of the saltyness.

If you braise cabbage in the juices of the ham and cider from the cider glaze recipe i posted (cut it with some cider vinegar too, or it will be way too sweet) it's amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always bake my ham, and I soak it first. After I remove the rind I score it and put a glaze of honey and wholegrain mustard on. Then I press breadcrumbs on because that gives a nice crust and stops the glaze sliding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I always bake my ham, and I soak it first. After I remove the rind I score it and put a glaze of honey and wholegrain mustard on. Then I press breadcrumbs on because that gives a nice crust and stops the glaze sliding off.

Any tips on where to get a nice big ham with the rind still on? I postponed my plans for this Sunday. Nothing spells Easter for me more than a nice ham.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I live in Swords in Dublin and our local supermarket, JC's has them a lot of the time or will order one in. A lot of the supermarkets have whole hams in around Easter, you could phone around and ask - although your best bet might be to get a local butcher to order one for you.

I always buy a whole ham and get the butcher to cut the hock off - I freeze it and use it later for Scotch Broth, or you could make coddle with it. A whole ham is better value than fillets etc because you can slice it up cooked and it freezes very well. In our house we love cold ham and poached eggs on toast for brekkie with Ballymaloe relish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Boil the ham first.
    Then put it in the oven covered in mustard, some honey and cloves.
    Can't beat it.....

Advertisement